• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by glenh.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ventoux – training
  • nicko74

I’m going to be in Provence later this year and have a real urge to ride Ventoux – and I want to get a handle on the training involved.

I’m a mtber, and currently ride about 20 minutes each way to work on a fixie – although that’ll shortly be about 30 minutes.

So realistically, how much training will I need to do, what kind, and so on?

richardthird

None if the weather and your gearing allows and you haven’t set a time limit. Some if you’re planning on riding the fixie in a headwind!

glenh
    Free Member

Rather depends on how fast you want to go really.
    Use a bike with suitably low gears and go slow enough and you’ll be fine even it you aren’t that fit.

I assume you are thinking of hiring a road bike over there?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

depends on which way you’re going to go up it.

The Classic way and TDF route is from Bédoin, this is steep, mainly 10-12% all the way and will take at least 1:15 and for most around 2hrs+ It’ll be hot too, I went up last week and it was 37.5deg in the shade.

The road up from Malaucène is similar if not a bit steeper but possibly a bit shorter. This is where Guy Martin filmed the speed attempt downhill so give you some idea how steep it is.

The road up from Sault is much easier but 10km longer than the other 2 at 30km/ish but mostly only 3,4 and 6% gradient until the hotel for the last 6km then it’s 10-16%.

Threshold efforts is where it’s gonna be, that and throwing a big gear over as it’s a grind for most.

vickypea
    Free Member

As above, it depends how fast you want to ride up. We camped in Provence 2 years ago in July and rode up Ventoux a couple of times. Didn’t do any training, just usual club runs on Sunday and MTB rides once or twice a week, so we didn’t exactly race it. I really enjoyed it.

beej

Loads of people just ride up it, whole range of bikes on show a few weeks ago. A single climb isn’t too bad, but take lower gears if you’ve the option, few km at 9/10/11%.

Weather is more of a factor. We just had heat (35C at the bottom, 18/25/15 at the top at 9am,1130am, 3pm) rather than wind.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Training? Just load up on speed, you’ll be fine.

MrNice
    Free Member

The Classic way and TDF route is from Bédoin, this is steep, mainly 10-12% all the way and will take at least 1:15 and for most around 2hrs+

at least 1:15 😆 I think the 2hrs+ bit is a more useful guide

the top of the strava leaderboard is ~1hr (a mix of pros and local hotshots in TT mode), the top of the STW club on strava was ~1:30. I targeted dipping under 2hrs.

given the right gears, enough time, and some MTFU you’ll be fine

rusty90
    Free Member

The same bloke who did the hour record on a chopper also did Ventoux (2hr 10m) Love the cut off jeans!

Sandwich

Just load up on speed, you’ll be fine.

Don’t forget the brandy in the bidon for the full effect!

MrNice
    Free Member

I don’t know whether I should be embarrassed I was only 12 minutes ahead of the chopper bloke or just glad I was faster. Probably the latter if I’m honest… 😳

Bez

*cof*

The Event

🙂

nicko74

Well that’s all quite positive – I’ll bear it all in mind. Yep, going to rent a road bike over there; would like to rent a mountain bike instead (for the gearing, and easier coming back down again), but driving up it last year it seemed the mtb riders are regarded as pariahs…

RoterStern
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/qNaqRgGOuQQ[/video]

TheGingerOne

Not sure why you would want an mtb to come down!!!

Mont Ventoux Descent

MrNice
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t want to drag myself up there on knobbly tyres but I think there are off road descents. There’s certainly some sort of bike park up the top.

richardthird

There’s also the Forest Road, gravel track, usually the 4th ascent for Galerians.

http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/en/roads/4-forest-road.html

glenh
    Free Member

I’ve ridden down ventoux off road, but it wasn’t that awesome – just really rocky and loose.

Don’t worry about the gearing on a hired road bike – most local places with have bikes with triple chainsets (going on my experience of similar places like near Alpe d’huez).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ventoux – training’ is closed to new replies.