Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ventillating a cupboard – DIY
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have an internal cupboard in the house, it’s above an ensuite, so like a little mini loft space, and I’m seeing a bit of mould in there at present.

Ensuite has an extractor which is ducted up through said space, but we never really use it, so I’m sure that’s not contributing much to the problem. It’s more because the bedroom the ensuite is in is quite a cold room, and is also right at the chimney wall.

So, the obvious solution is to get a couple of vents into the loft space, and a couple into the room, but will this be enough?. Anything else I should be doing?.

I originally wanted it as a place to store bike bag, luggage etc as I don’t want to use the loft, but If I don’t act they’ll all be goosed with damp.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id have the ensuite extractor connected to the ensuite lighting circuit so that it runs every time.

It’s most likely the source of damp air which will find it’s way into the cupboard somehow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s the way it’s connected stoner, comes on with the light and runs for 20 minutes afterward.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Do you just need to vent the door?

should be enough air moving about in the house proper to carry the moisture away.

project
    Free Member

chop 1 inch off base of door and fit a small vent to top of door.That should ensure space is vented, and got tol;d the other day, that new home doors should have a half inch gap above the carpet to allow ventilation on internal g/f doors,

globalti
    Free Member

Go and buy a 240v light bulb and find a big old coffee tin. Paint the tin black inside, punch a few holes in the bottom, set the bulb up in a lamp holder standing on a brick or a tile with the tin over it. It will consume almost no power but the warmth it generates will keep the cupboard dry and ventilated. I did it when I lived in Andalucia and came back after Christmas at home to find all my clothes had turned to green velvet with mould in the winter humidity.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Er, I’ll leave that light bulb suggestion, sounds a bit firey!

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

chop 1 inch off base of door and fit a small vent to top of door.That should ensure space is vented, and got tol;d the other day, that new home doors should have a half inch gap above the carpet to allow ventilation on internal g/f doors,

That really isn’t the way to go. An inch under the door will look shocking.
    As for new homes having half inch gap, it is more like a quarter, 5-6mm.

project
    Free Member
    simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s 10-25mm to structural floor. Carpet and underlay would be at least 10mm.

For ventilation I understood around 6mm was sufficient. Certainly no more than 10mm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool! A pdf-off! 😆

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Lol

I’m going to put up a PDF book

I did mean 5-6 mm to FFL, including carpet.

project
    Free Member

nmdbasetherevenge

but thats fire doors, a totally different door construction and use for a door.

Fire doors dont usually feature in most homes unless theyre multiple occupancy or a timber framed construction.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Still the same principal.

project
    Free Member

Fire doors are certified to do a job under building regs, ordinary internal doors are not, you can do what you like to them.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Yeah but you wouldn’t swing a door with an inch gap to the carpet would you? I’d hope not.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Certainly not a fire door, but I’m not whacking an inch off, it’d look like bugger all!. I’ll go for multiple vents.

project
    Free Member

Yeah but you wouldn’t swing a door with an inch gap to the carpet would you? I’d hope not

Fitted a replacement last week on a boiler room in a house, the previous door had about 1.5 inch gap underneath to allow boiler to breathe, customer said, boiler moved and new door fitted by me, tight fit.

enfht
    Free Member

The effects of evaporation is often overlooked, adequate ventilation is essential otherwise mould can ruin your crop overnight, usually striking late when the buds are heavy. 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ventillating a cupboard – DIY’ is closed to new replies.