Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ventile cotton – thoughts?
  • andygreener

Am thinking of purchasing one of howies helmsman jackets. Is ventile cotton any good? Anyone have the helmsman? any experience or thoughts?

globalti
    Free Member

In the days before Goretex when people were still wearing bright orange, sweaty neoprene Henri Lloyd sailing jackets on the fells, Ventile was revered as the textile of choice for a durable, showerproof outdoor jacket.

I had a ventile smock; it was incredibly durable and in light rain it stiffened up and became showerproof. For climbing it was perfect because it was windproof without insulating and very resistant to abrasion by rock and rope, especially useful when doing a classic abseil with the rope going between the legs, up the back, over a shoulder and down over the chest.

deejayen
    Free Member

I had a double-layer Ventile jacket. I quite liked it when it was new, but…

My memory is a little dim, but I did have problems with the jacket – I think it wetted out and got really heavy, and rain got through the second layer. Also, my one wore out, with holes appearing in it (I think possibly around the drawcords etc). It also faded. I actually got a refund for it, and the manufacturer said they’d never seen problems like that before!

I think Ventile is more usable in snow than in heavy rain.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I recently bought a Country Innovation Rover jacket, it’s two layer Ventile, so heavy (about 1.5kg), but completely waterproof. I looked at the Howies one but only single layer. Fair to say it’s the best jacket I’ve ever bought, just as well as it’s also the most expensive jacket I’ve ever bought. Totally love it, other than the weight the only other real downside is it takes a while to dry, oh and it’s meant to be hand wash only – really?

Upsides are that they are so much more comfortable, quieter and just nicer than man made fabrics, including Paramo, cooler too, which of course has a down side.

CaptainSlow

I’ve got a Howies ventile coat bought a couple of years ago. I think it’s single layer as the weight really isn’t an issue. It’s this one http://www.howies.co.uk/airman-olive.html

I really, really like it and wear it daily to walk the dog as well as all the usual things. I’ve even been known to wear it to work (after removing dog treats, slobber and mud). No signs of wear or issues yet.

I’ve been out in it when it has been pissing down for around an hour and I wasn’t noticbly wet inside. I was warm and had been sweating. My waterproof Altura trousers were failing by this point and I had wet thighs.

I think they’re waterproof enough for most activities and very civilised in terms of breathability etc.

Depends what you what it for.

toby1

I have the even older Pilot, bought when fatter and it’s been too big for a few years but it still sits at the bottom of my wardrobe waiting for a new assignment.

It does get totally soaked and eventually let water through, also on the sleeves where the material was rolled over at the hem it started to fray on the corners as the material is so stiff.

On a cold windy day though it was impenetrable by the wind.

It was ok, but I haven’t rushed to buy another.

yosemitepaul

I too used to have a Ventile smock, in the day it was brilliant but I suppose modern fabrics have superseded the cotton.
    Having said that, it was always quiet and when dry very comfortable. Many years ago ‘the’ manufacturer were Grenfell who were the Patagonia of the day.

manton69

Ok, this will probably be a bit long as I have been searching for the perfect waterproof solution for sustained outside use. As background we spend about 6-8weeks a year living outside. This can be camping and working so you get to use the full capabilities of any garment.

Ventile is good and double layer is much better. The reason is that you just don’t wet through in the same way. Because The physical properties of the fabric allows it to get a bit dirty and worn and still work you get a high degree of waterproofing for a long time. The alternative is to use a layered system with a cheaper waxed jacket outer and a modern waterproof underneath. In this way you have the hard wearing fabric on top that can get dirty/smoke filled and wet before you get to the more fragile inner waterproof.

If you rely on just a high performance modern fabric you have several issues. The dwr coating will wear out, very quickly in harsh conditions. Once the fabric wets out then the performance of the shell decreases, but you will not necessarily get wet from the outside. You will get more consdensation from the inside under these conditions. To keep a modern fabric in good condition you need to wash it quite regularly and to proof it as well. In hard or working conditions I do not get more than one or two years out of modern breathable waterproofs. As the fabrics are generally thinner if you live and work outside then a lot of the time you get rips, tears and holes in them. This is particularly important if you work or cook around an open fire (not normal for most people, but essential for me).

To sum up Ventile double layer is good, but do not expect it to be perfect. It will be heavy when wet and take a while to dry. I don’t think you would regret it if you bought one as it will last you a good while.

jamj1974

I have had two of the Howies jackets and liked both very much. They have both been impressively waterproof, breathe nicely and been very comfortable. The Pilot jacket has worn a bit as mentioned above – near seams at the hem. It’s still wearable though. I also like the feel of the fabric and it’s less technical look.

I would buy Ventile again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ventile cotton – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.