• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • venison cooking tips
  • Nick

Just scored 5 5lb venison joints, came from a young year old deer.

Anyone got any recipes?

iDave
    Free Member

crush and chop a load of juniper berries, chop handful of rosemary, add sea salt, mash together, rub well into the venison, and roast

cxi
    Free Member

A venison casserole maybe?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1935/succulent-braised-venison

Long, slow cooking – mmm!

GSter
    Free Member

Cut into chunks, lightly cover in flour, fry off till brown with some onions, carrots, parsnips (whatever u have)
    When browned off, chuck in some stock, red wine, 1 tablespoon of corn flour/water (to thicken)

Chuck in the oven for an hour (GM4) Take out, hob cook for 5 mins, add a glug of whiskey……..Deer Catsarshole ! 😉

If you don't want to go scottish, add some chocloate to the grvy…sounds WILD, but it works (make sure you use dark choc (80-90%) Coccoa….very Gordon R or Heston !!

If you can cut it into steaks….cooks just like beef

chvck
    Free Member

game stew! Haven't got a recipe though, think we used a housemates

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another vote for casserole – the best thing to do with venison IMO

Inbred456
    Free Member

Concur with iDave, dont mess about with it, roast it hard and fast or it will end up tough and dry if you cook it for a long time. You'll regret it if you stew it.

Nick

Apparently these are prime roasting joints from a young un, not some old stag or hind, Geoff went pale when I asked if I should casserole them!

cinnamon_girl

Drizzle some oil and open roast on the rack. Do not overcook but can't remember recommended cooking time. For a haunch for 2 people, it used to take 40 minutes max at a fairly high temperature (in fan oven) then leave to 'rest' for 10 minutes.

Delicious!

4ndyB
    Free Member

A slow cooker works very well for venison, melt in the mouth style 😀

I usually just kinda follow a beef in red wine recipe, or a beef casserole recipe.

cinnamon_girl

If it's good meat, it should stand up on its own and not need anything else!

Trampus
    Free Member

I nearly bought some venison in Tesco. Then I saw the price! 👿

<All together, now! mode /on> "It was dead deer!<All together, now! mode /off>

psling
    Free Member

Interesting ~ I asked same question a while back: here

🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Remember that it doesn't have much fat in it so you might need to help it along with butter, bacon, whatever.

darrell
    Free Member

i cooked some prime Reindeer filets at the weekend. They were fried in butter with a mix of dried juniper berries, thyme and oregano. Then served with roast shallots, parsnips and spuds and a creamy game sauce. Bloody lovely too. In fact i'm eating the leftover meat now on a butty with a little horseradish :mrgreen:

momentum
    Free Member

I've got a fair bit of experience of cooking reindeer, which is quite similar to venison. The meat is generally very lean so needs a bit of care when you're cooking it. If it is a roasting joint then it should have a bit more fat, but I wouldn't roast it uncovered. The last piece I roasted I smeared with oil, salt, pepper and herbs then put in a roasting dish with a rack to keep it off the bottom. Put a glass of red wine in the bottom with some rosemary and juniper berries and then loosely cover with tin foil. Roast on a low heat for a couple of hours and the job's a good un! Had a lovely medium rare joint when I did it.

When we roast reindeer in Finland it is usually in a sealed plastic bag (some special one that is heat proof) with some liquid and herbs and then roasted for about six hours at 90 degrees C. Mind you we have a wood fired stove with an oven so it's a bit easier to do that!

Nick

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, not sure what I'll do yet to be honest so many differing suggestions!

I nearly bought some venison in Tesco. Then I saw the price!

Bit more than a little less than £2/lb then?

Oh, just had a look online at Tesco, about £10/lb, so how does that work then, where does the other £8 go? Not to the **** farmer/landowner I bet 👿

Disclaimer: I'm not exactly a fan of Tesco 🙂

devs
    Free Member

I just got 8 legs of venison for £20. Is that too dear? 😀

Lived on venison hotpot at T in the Park. It was magic.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘venison cooking tips’ is closed to new replies.