• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Venice trip
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

My wife keeps nagging me to go to Venice, so thinking of going in the Autumn. Any thoughts of who to go with and where to stay? Not looking at a cheap options, as its likely to be a one off. (not mega either, as I know some Hotels are hugely expensive!) Two nights should be enough.

tjagain

When I went I stayed in Mestre on the mainland and just got the train into Venice as it was much cheaper to do so. I loved it but Mrs TJ didn’t. there is nowhere to sit down for free in venice!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A few years back I stayed at the Albergo Doni at the back of the Basilica San Marco, basic, cheap, comfortable and 2 mins walk from the water bus stop. Also street cred boost as you go between some tat sellers to get on to the street where the hotel is. Very quiet and “back street”-ish in spite of a central location. Would stay there again.
    Before that, on the Lido, a bit cheaper but having to get the ferry every day to the main bits (although there aren’t many bus stops with that kind of view)
    I loved it. One thing that’s a deffo to do is get the vaparetto #1 the length of the Grand Canal sitting in the open area at the back of the bus.
    And there are public gondolas which shuttle back and forth ferrying people across the Grand Canal. Less than 1 Euro when I was there, and you can tell people you were on a gondola trip (meanie).

EDIT – I Easyjetted out and got the waterbus across the lagoon. Brilliant way to arrive.

sobriety
    Free Member

who to go with

errrr, your mistress?

I did the same as TJ, it were nice, but super busy. If you stay on the island itself then it gets far quieter once the hordes of day trippers have gone and is very pretty at night.

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Mestre – Hotel Delfino is on a bus route into the old town, and the bus from the airport stops right outside.

Easyjet flights from Manchester take about two hours

Take some wellies in case of Aqua Alta

bear-uk
    Free Member

Two nights won’t be anywhere near enough. There’s just too much to see and enjoy.

iolo
    Free Member

AirBnb it. You can find lovely apartments for not so much money.
    for example

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Venice trip’ is closed to new replies.