Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Velox vs Tubeless tape? Best rim strip even if not running tubeless
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

I have tubeless ready WTB i23 rims that need 28mm rim tape, I don’t have any plans to run them tubeless as it’s a commuter bike with very flat resistant tires, but what’s better?

It seems the general consensus about strips or rubber bands is that they can move around and the latter is no good for high pressures.
    Veloplugs is another option, but expensive and people seem to lose plugs all the time.

That leaves us with tubeless tape or cloth tape, any major tradeoffs with tubeless tape? Or just go with that?

scotroutes

You’re over-thinking this.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Tessa 4289 tape. You won’t need 28mm. 25mm will be great on a i23. I actually use it on a i25.

It won’t leave any residue which is a god send compared to Gorilla.

£12 for 66m, absolute bargain too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesa-Tape-4289-no-tubes-rim-tape-complete-roll-25mm-wide-x-66-metres-long/162354590164?hash=item25cd1671d4:g:8wYAAOSwpdpVZtc~

yohandsome
    Free Member

Better to over than underthink it!

yohandsome
    Free Member

Tesa 4289 seems to be the answer, nice point about residue! How many layers do you need?

mtbfix

Gorilla tape?

johnnystorm

One layer of Tesa is fine usually and as you aren’t going tubeless it’s less of an issue anyway.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I only ever used one layer of TESA and it’s fine.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

avoid gorilla tape, after spending 3-4 hours unpicking the scum of an inner rim, i’ll avoid that

trail_rat
    Free Member

Better to over than underthink it!

Management material that

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like Velox material rim tape when running tubes,

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It seems the general consensus about strips or rubber bands is that they can move around and the latter is no good for high pressures.
    Veloplugs is another option, but expensive and people seem to lose plugs all the time.

That leaves us with tubeless tape or cloth tape, any major tradeoffs with tubeless tape? Or just go with that?

You’re missing one option, which IME and IMO is the best for non tubeless applications, and thats the plastic type fitted rim strips. Schwalbe make them as so Specialized. They don’t rip like cheap rubber, they don’t move either, and you can remove them easily should you break a spoke for example. I wouldn’t have anything that sticks on if not running tubeless for just this reason.

Hight pressure rim tape, about half way down
    Specialized rim tape

That’s what I use and what I prefer to fit for others as it gives no problems at all

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

avoid gorilla tape, after spending 3-4 hours unpicking the scum of an inner rim, i’ll avoid that

Bit of solvent has it off quickly

honeybadgerx

I’m confused – if they’re WTB tubeless ready then they’ll already be taped with tubeless tape? Which is fine for running with or without tubes.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’m confused – if they’re WTB tubeless ready then they’ll already be taped with tubeless tape?

Probably not. Probably just regular rim tape. “Tubeless Ready” just means the rim will take a tubeless tyre properly. You still need to buy the rim tape/valve/sealant.

Leccy Tape 😀

philjunior
    Free Member

Good points about the practicalities of plastic rim strips over sticky cloth tape.

But I’d go with Velox because it’s what is right.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Why would you pay £3 for a medieval tape when a roll of TESA works out at 35p per wheel and will leave zero residue and can be used for when you switch to tubeless ?

philjunior
    Free Member

Why would you pay £3 for a medieval tape when a roll of TESA works out at 35p per wheel and will leave zero residue and can be used for when you switch to tubeless ?

Again, because it’s what is right.

cookeaa

“Right”? I don’t think there’s really any moral dimension with rim tape.

It’s simple one of a couple of options, personally I’d say tubeless tape (of whatever sort WTB/Stans/TESA/etc) because, even if you never use it with tubeless tyres you still have the option to, should you sell the wheels on it’s a minor selling point and it will work just as well as fabric tape ever did with inner tubes, there are basically no down sides…

I suppose that makes it the right choice (IMO)… 😉

bensongd
    Free Member

Cheers for the ebay link – have ordered some tesa tape.

nickfrog
    Free Member

No idea what you mean. You need to show your workings.

Any rationale behind your sweeping and incoherent statement ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Velox vs Tubeless tape? Best rim strip even if not running tubeless’ is closed to new replies.