Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Veloviewer Explorer max. square – what's the average / distribution?
  • kcal

Without too much effort, have got the Explorer max. square to a reasonable amount. Obviously its all local – how hard is it to get “just one more increment” ?

Quite hilly round here too, so filling in the gaps is not at all easy 🙂

Eddington is just “ride more” obviously. Same for the tile count..

12×12

bails

Wut?

swavis

I have no idea what you’re on about…

And you need to visit here for some hills 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    faustus

Nope, just one non sequitur after another i’m afraid…?

trail_rat
    Free Member

mines just 3×3 …. i tend to ride around big circumferences of them rather than around a set small area.

kcal

I do, swavis, I do. Will be in touch.

And no I haven’t been drinking 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Veloviewer explorer logs how many adjacent OS grid squares you have ridden through then calculates the biggest sided square of those, hence 3×3, 4×4, etc. I think mine’s 3×3.

faustus

I get the value of veloviewer. But this is just a comparison of on the ground cycling reality, against an arbitrary and theoretical set of map squares. I have no idea how that could enhance my cycling in any way. Why give primacy to a human created two dimensional method of measurement, over the depth and variety of the existing world you cycle through?

Maybe they are just trying to ‘measure’ something that is just too nebulous i.e. ‘exlporing’. It works with quantifiable things like distance and time (so speed), but this just does not compute.

swanny853

It’s just another way of looking at things really, isn’t it? Certainly tempted to give it a go as it might be the nudge I need to do a bit more country lane exploring rather than sticking to the fun but known ridgelines

scotroutes

The VV Explorer square is a great way to encourage you to explore the areas between the (better known) tracks. I’ve been finding lots of nice wee spots as a result of filling in some blanks. Many will likely become bivvy spots in the near future.

I’m currently on 11×11 but can get to 14×14 with a little effort. Then it starts getting really tough, with the Monadliath and Cairngorm ranges included.

Eddington is currently 64 (26 this year)

paladin

would be easier if the explorer worked on the OS map…

acidtest
    Free Member

The VV Explorer square is a great way to encourage you to explore the areas between the (better known) tracks.

That’s a good way of looking at it, just had a look at mine and it’s 5×5. It’s highlighted to me that there’s a few areas around here that need some exploring and there could be some great trails I’m missing out on. It’s a bit like how geocaching can take you to some cool places you never knew existed.

Cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Veloviewer Explorer max. square – what's the average / distribution?’ is closed to new replies.