Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Velothon Wales
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Who’s in?

stumpy01

Yep, signed up with two mates. Gonna probably make a weekend of it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh tempting I will ask a few mates – doing the full 120 km I assume molly?

gwaelod
    Free Member

aye…I’ll be the bloke at the back

molgrips
    Free Member

Junkyard yes, 120km. Get in fast though 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can I stay in your caravan in the grounds of Châteaux Molgrips ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course 🙂

Paulio
    Free Member

Thanks, this thread reminded me to register. Riding on closed roads will be a new experience for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Me too, that’s why I’m doing it. TBH the course isn’t really all that great for normal riding*, just main roads, but it could be quite different on closed roads. They’ve obviously gone for main roads to get the capacity.

* except for the Tumble aka Blorenge – that’s great 🙂

Paulio
    Free Member

That’s my thinking too Molgrips. The run down to the finish should be good fun without having to worry about cars.

taxi25
    Free Member

Said I wouldn’t do another sportive, but closed roads and starting from my home City changed my mind. Looking forward to it already.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

im in – training has started haha.

molgrips
    Free Member

Who out of you lot has done the big climb?

andrw13
    Free Member

I’m in. Did the Tumble watching this year’s Tour of Britain stage (except the last 150m). Great climb.

tang
    Free Member

I did the TOB tumble, it’s a nice climb. However, much more fun was descending with the team cars and busses!

stumpy01

Nope. Not done the climb. Not done any road riding in that part of Wales, apart from the Dragon Ride, which I think is a bit further west.

Is it a killer?

gwaelod
    Free Member

the ‘Filthy Mtn is a tasty climb mind..as well as the tumble. Hope the Steak Shack is open

taxi25
    Free Member

Did the tumble 10 times on may 3rd participating in the tumble up for life charity event. Caerphilly mnt is much shorter but will make you suffer more, especially with tired legs. 😀

stevio

In – 120km – just got to get there….. managed to pre enter with about 10 mins to spare…

NigE5
    Free Member

In, they are still taking entries. Now just got to find a hotel.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Disco!!

nearly here…better start some training I suppose.

tod456
    Free Member

i’ve got a place and hotel but can’t go now, so if anyone’s interested please let me know.

molgrips
    Free Member

Weather looks… Iffy.. What tyres for.. Oh.. Road tyres 🙂

See you at 8.25

milky1980
    Free Member

Just rode home from a night shift and saw all the riders starting to congregate for the start, have a good ride everyone. Weather looks good for a pleasant ride 🙂

Apart from all the nobbers driving like idiots with expensive bikes dangling off the back of expensive cars on cheap racks with no light boards. The ones driving down the bus lanes will get a lovely bill in the post 😈

Especially the driver of a grey/blue Audi A3 that decided to punishment pass me on Penarth Road!! I didn’t get your number plate as it was obscured by your carbon Giant on a cheap strap-rack. I hope you get an upset stomach from gorging on energy bars and throw up on the first climb.

Apart form that, lovely to see so many riders, especially the hoardes of females, smiling and looking forward to a good day out 😀

mooman
    Free Member

Good luck those riding. Don’t forget to take your gel wrappers home with yous.

Kryton57

Good luck everyone, stay safe and enjoy. Gutted I missed out 🙁 but cest la vie

eskay

Especially the driver of a grey/blue Audi A3

Always an Audi. Seems you have to be a special kind of prat to own one.

Was there yesterday for the youth circuit races, a very well organised day (just a shame about the weather).

singletrackmind

Route has been sabotaged with tacks . Punctures galore . Typical narrow minded stupid idiots .
    Event worth millions to local economy , so some brainless morons do their best to disrupt it .
    dangerous and dumb

mamadirt
    Free Member

Aye, feel the need to apologize on behalf of Newport folk – sad. http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13330646.Riders__disgusted__by_tacks_thrown_on_the_road_during_Velothon_in_Caerleon/?ref=twtrec

That said, just ridden up there to give a bit of support – great humour from both spectators and riders alike.

taxi25
    Free Member

Shame about the tacks 🙁 luckily I didn’t find one. But it’s just one or two morons, all I saw were thousands of people clapping and shouting encouragement, I reckon S.Wales has done the event proud. 😀

wiggles
    Free Member

Been out with the kids watch everyone go past seemed like people were enjoying it and no tacks here.

Although some idiot drove their car through a foot/cycle path to go around the road closure and scared my son so much he fell off his bike and just drive off.

bright
    Free Member

Agree with taxi, well attended and loads of support from the locals the whole way around the course. I wasn’t looking forward to the event if honest but had a great day out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Great event and lots of good banter. Start was a bit disorganised as loads of people needed to cross the course to get to their start pen which proved difficult.

Lots of nasty crashes though and one looked really bad coming down from the Tumble.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Good day out. Particularly liked streams of riders going both ways round roundabouts pro style. Up there someone said the descent of Caerphilly mtn to the finish would be excellent.. It was better than that. Maesycymmer looked like they were having a street party…it looked ace.

molgrips
    Free Member

someone said the descent of Caerphilly mtn to the finish would be excellent.. It was better than that.

Yes.. well, the actual mountain bit was ok (max speed almost 70kph) but bombing flat out through the city like a hooligan was great fun 🙂

gwaelod
    Free Member

Aye it was great hammering through lisvane and lakeside without millions of 4*4 everywhere. Proper sprint finish in our group too.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Velothon Wales’ is closed to new replies.