Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Velogical rim dynamo
  • epicyclo
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Will it work with my carbon rims?

wwaswas

if only there was a link to a website in the OP that might contain the answer 😉

the VELOGICAL Dynamo runs without wear on the rim wall, and can also be driven without problems on carbon rims.

shermer75
    Free Member

An excellent looking bit of kit that, solves some issues ie having to rebuild a wheel in order to fit a dynamo. Doable price too. Would be good to know what it’s longevity is like and how it does in poor weather!

shermer75
    Free Member

My only drawback is that it doesn’t look quite as robust as a hub dynamo, which would be something I’d consider on a commuter as they take such a kicking

epicyclo

shermer75 – Member
    My only drawback is that it doesn’t look quite as robust as a hub dynamo, which would be something I’d consider on a commuter as they take such a kicking

I doubt there’s much to go wrong. An occasional O ring maybe. If it uses bearings rather than bushes, it should last forever (I didn’t notice).

The bottle dynamos I used in my youth were reliable. My only objection was the noise (I hate noise on a bike).

Their advantage was that they could be disengaged so there was no drag when not in use.

Part of the appeal is they have a model for very low speeds.

trail_rat
    Free Member

something else for the mud to build up on through the walk of hell at the bottom of the puffer 😉

Bez

Looks neat. But I can’t help thinking that the €150 price tag is almost exactly the same as the price I noted down recently for an LX dynohub, matching rear hub, two DT Swiss rims and a set of DT Comps. But it looks good for the weight weenies, I guess.

shermer75
    Free Member

I doubt there’s much to go wrong. An occasional O ring maybe. If it uses bearings rather than bushes, it should last forever (I didn’t notice).

I meant that your commuter gets an actual, literal kicking, at least it seems that way!! It’s prob just people locking and unlocking their bike next to yours but I’m quite frequently having to straighten out my rotors, so I’d be worried about anything attached to my bike really. That said, seeing as it’s tiny and fits snugly under the seat stay it’d prob be fine!

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve already got a Schmidt SON on my commuter along with front and rear B&M lights. I’m not totally convinced by the comment about the drag of hub based dynamos – the calcs reckon on it working out at the equivalent of roughly one digestive biscuit over a decent length ride (can’t remember the actual distance) and I like my bisuits!

Pricing wise it seems like they’ve gone as high as they can given the current pricing of the Schmidt and SP offerings.

Bez

It’s also worth noting that this appears to be a nominally 1.5W generator. I’ve not seen much reporting of how 1.5s perform in the real world, but I’m guessing it’d be less than ideal if you have a rear light and/or USB output as well as the front light.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve seen a few reports that 1.5w is fine for lights but not lights + charger..

drlex
    Free Member

One on each wheel for the more useful 3W?
    😉

epicyclo

The attraction is you can use it on any wheel and it can be disengaged so there’s no drag when not needed.

As for being knocked around I don’t recall that as a problem with previous bottle dynamos and this looks more tucked away.

The main disadvantage is as trail-rat says, probably not going to work in a mudfest.

scotroutes

Or a left-mount and a right-mount on the same wheel 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    if only there was a link to a website in the OP that might contain the answer

Heh, I was joking, I thought it was an induction thing. Happy to have given you the opportunity…

As for being knocked around I don’t recall that as a problem with previous bottle dynamos and this looks more tucked away

As above, you weren’t locking your 10 speed racer up with dozens of other commuters daily like some are. Looks way more fragile to me.

But the weight is attractive

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Velogical rim dynamo’ is closed to new replies.