Viewing 28 posts - 241 through 268 (of 268 total)
  • Velodrome spoilers….
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

The basis that I was there.
    Who else on this thread was
    a) at the velodrome during that race
    b) knows about track rules (other than what Hugh Porter tells you)
    c) knows about the judging and officiating that actually happened (as opposed to what you think happened or what it looks like from a short video replay)

a friend of mine was working track center and standing next to Jason Kenny away from the media watching the final their opinion differs from yours. they too are equally qualified to judge what went on.

glenp
    Free Member

“Being there” ie the velodrome is unbeatable for the experience and atmosphere, but sitting in front of a large screen HD telly is unbeatable for seeing what actually happens in sport with super slow motion as well.

Unbeatable – for seeing what you want to see!

I just watched it again a few times, and the only serious elbows were after the swerve. Thee was a little swinging around from Meares just before, but not an actual shove.

aracer
    Free Member

The basis that I was there.

Ah – so you had a much better view of what happened than from looking at the “close ups” on TV 🙄

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I love the super slow-mo shots. how many frames a second are they shooting, or does it work differently these days with video?

glenp
    Free Member

You guys need to ask yourselves honestly what your opinion would be with the positions reversed. It’s just ridiculous. Plus it was only the first round – sprinters should be able to re-compose themselves, and she didn’t. Sadly her second run was poor, with poor judgement. Meares deserved the win, on balance.

aracer
    Free Member

You guys need to ask yourselves honestly what your opinion would be with the positions reversed.

Easy. The judges should have left well alone. If AM had won that run by 0.001s then I’d have said she deserved it.

sputnik
    Free Member

Getting relegated by the same commissaire for a second time after you just won , and having been pushed/elbowed by your opponent causing you to go out of your lane, and you must just keep calm and carry on?
    Get real .

glenp
    Free Member

For the second time? What? when?

sputnik
    Free Member

Didn’t you see the women’s team sprint qualifiers?

glenp
    Free Member

Yes I saw that. How is that relevant? They (well, VP) screwed up. And?

glenp
    Free Member

and having been pushed/elbowed by your opponent causing you to go out of your lane, and you must just keep calm and carry on?

Sprinting is often marginal – dealing with it is part of the sport.

Elbowing happened after the swerve.

Keeping calm and carrying on is a skill of track sprinting.

crazy-legs

a friend of mine was working track center and standing next to Jason Kenny away from the media watching the final their opinion differs from yours. they too are equally qualified to judge what went on.

So you’re hearing it 2nd hand. The GB pen was over the other side of the track, about as far as possible from the Judges Stand and from the section of the track where the incident occurred.

As for watching it on TV – you think the judges didn’t have the same feed? And the fact that there was a Commissaire stood on the final bend right next to where it happened. It wasn’t a decision made by one official “trying to make a name for himself”, it was a joint call using the information from a variety of sources (including slo-mo TV replays).

This thread has really been ruined by this argument, it was a celebration of all the excitement that was going on in the velodrome and it’s just turned into a sour grapes battle over why Vicky was relegated. She broke the rules. Not intentionally, not by a huge margin but enough to mean that the relegation was the appropriate response.

brakes
    Free Member

but enough to mean that the relegation was the appropriate response

no, enough to mean that relegation was an appropriate response. letting the result stand would also have been an appropriate response.
    what people are miffed at is that the commissar didn’t choose the former as his judgement, which would have been favourable as we are British and therefore want such subjective decisions to go our way.

sputnik
    Free Member

Crazy-legs, I know the judges had the same feed,just wanted to point out that you being there didn’t give you a superior view of the incident.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

what people are miffed at is that the commissar didn’t choose the former as his judgement.

No good getting miffed at something because you don’t like it. According to the rules, that would have been the wrong judgment, and he’d have not been doing his job properly. the Aussies would have appealed, and if that decision had not been reversed, then the whole wrold would be crying foul. VP rode outside her lane, and has no argument. It’s against the rules and she was relegated accordingly.

Deal with it. Anna Meares is Olympic Sprint Champion. And rightly so.

glenp
    Free Member

So sputnik. In what way is the Women’s Team Sprint relevant? You brought it up, but you appear now to be ignoring it?

brakes
    Free Member

No good getting miffed at something because you don’t like it.

apologies, but this is a standard human response to something you don’t like.

the Aussies would have appealed

I don’t believe that you can appeal the decision.

loum
    Free Member

psa bmx

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I don’t believe that you can appeal the decision.

Ok. But the whole world would have seen the fact that VP rode outside of her lane, which is against the rules. And had she won, the victory may have been seen worldwide as unjust and tainted.

The right decision was made, and the right outcome resulted.

sputnik
    Free Member

In VP’s interview afterwards she said getting relegated twice was “unbelievable” and “unheard of”. So the same guy shafting you twice ( and after you’ve been elbowed) will affect you. And it did.

glenp
    Free Member

In that case she is still in denial about the Team Sprint – not only did she very very clearly screw up (miles over the line), but it was her fault and she denied Jess Varnish a chance of an olympic medal.

Do you think they should have been let off that infringement then?

I think you’re in denial too – and for no reason. She won an amazing Silver to go with her amazing Keirin gold, to top off an amazing career in a sport that often has very close finishes which don’t always go your way.

sputnik
    Free Member

Shhh, I’m watching BMX

aracer
    Free Member

the Aussies would have appealed, and if that decision had not been reversed, then the whole wrold would be crying foul.

Not given AM’s reaction straight after the sprint they wouldn’t.

VP rode outside her lane, and has no argument. It’s against the rules and she was relegated accordingly.

So is crowding the rider in the sprinters lane as you try to overtake them, which AM did before VP rode outside her lane. She has no argument about being relegated for that, but strangely she was rewarded for it.

not only did she very very clearly screw up (miles over the line), but it was her fault and she denied Jess Varnish a chance of an olympic medal.

I agree that the TS DQ was quite clear and the correct decision was made, but blaming it all on VP is extremely harsh. I’d suggest that she was pretty diplomatic when commenting earlier given it would have been quite reasonable for her to blame it all on JV – after all, as she said, when Jess swings up that’s her cue to go, it’s Jess who controls the timing of the changeover. In reality they were both at fault – and I don’t know why people are bringing it up in relation to the sprint relegation when that one was completely clear cut and pretty much everybody agrees the judges made the correct decision.

aracer
    Free Member

Outsiders

mens & womens 470 class sailing

Just to get this thread back on to happier stuff, I’d like to point out that as I suggested earlier the 470 crews are far from outsiders for gold. In fact going into the medal race the women’s 470 crew have a match race with NZ – level on points and already guaranteed at least a silver.

donsimon
    Free Member

Looks like the Chinese are appealing the relegation in the Women’s team sprint final. 😐

Coleman
    Free Member

Good to hear. I wish them well. Absolutely appalling decision, although I understood there was no right to appeal.

aracer
    Free Member

On what basis are they appealing? I thought they had the same issue as VP/JV, just that it was a lot closer (can’t find the video to check – anybody know how to find links to old “live” footage?) In which case are they appealing the rule which says the lead-off rider has to lead the first lap, or some other point?

Edit: was being stupid about finding the footage, but for anybody else also being stupid, go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/schedule-results select the day and there should be a “catch up” link to the video. The footage in question is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2zws

donsimon
    Free Member

More a case of sending a strongly worded letter to UCI complaining about rule changes and personal interpretations of the rule.
    Storm meet tea cup.

Viewing 28 posts - 241 through 268 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Velodrome spoilers….’ is closed to new replies.