Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Velocity A23 Tubeless – Which rimstrips?
  • pir0
    Free Member

Hey all,

I’ve been reading some mixed information regarding tubeless rim strips for the Velocity A23 rims.

Which ones are best suited?

Any infos greatly appreciated!

timb34
    Free Member

I thought you just needed tape (stans yellow tape or similar) to seal the spoke holes in the rim bed rather than rim strips?

pir0
    Free Member

I’ve read both im afraid! Some saying only use the cross rimstrips and others saying standard 26″ strips, stretched.

If you use the yellow tape, do you use the universal valves and yellow tape only?

grahamg
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to know how you get on – I’ve got the newer tubeless friendly A23’s and a friend keeps raving about road tubeless so am considering giving it a blast.

pir0
    Free Member

Likewise, I’ve just built the newer A23 tubeless onto some novatec disc hubs but I’m unsure what to do in terms of buying the rimstrips to run them tubeless!

I’ll post up when I eventually get a definite answer and get them running with a bit of sealant.

pir0
    Free Member

After doing a bit more searching and watching some more videos on the NoTubes website, I think I’m going to, as you say, just run the yellow tape and a valve, then if I find it burps or wont inflate I’ll invest in some rimstrips (probably the 700c specific ones)

Hopefully this, lighter, less expensive option works!

jumble
    Free Member

I have a wheel with the newer A23 running tubeless for about 5 months. I used 2 wraps of yellow tape and then a Stans CX tubeless strip which I already had. I am running non tubeless CX tyres and this was the only reason a used the strip. If you use tubeless or tubeless ready then I don’t see why you would need it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

What’s the advantage of going tubeless on the road?

Off road, I see it as able to run lower pressure for greater traction, whilst reducing the risk of pinch-punctures. And for both on and off, reducing thorn-type punctures with sealent. But if you get a proper slash in the tyre, you’re still going to have to fit a tube aren’t you? Which will be harder than fitting a tube to a “normal” tyre due to tighter beads, and sticky latex.

I am genuinly interested, I’ve just got a pair of A23s too and am wondering about new tyres…

pir0
    Free Member

I’m using the A23’s for a CX wheel build, so I’m using it to avoid pinches when running lower pressure for better traction in wet/mucky conditions.

I’ll probably be using non tubeless clinchers, Michelin Mud 2s or Challenge tyres. Do you reckon I’d need a rimstrip aswell as the yellow rim tape?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Velocity A23 Tubeless – Which rimstrips?’ is closed to new replies.