Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Velocipedia – asking people to draw a bike from memory
  • raisinhat
    Free Member

http://www.gianlucagimini.it/prototypes/velocipedia.html

Designer gets people to draw a bicycle, then photoshops the results into ‘reality’. I’ll let the images speak for themselves.

Check out the page for lots more, they’re tremendous.

AD

Wow – thanks for posting that link!

ThePinkster

The most unintelligible drawing has also the most unintelligible handwriting. It was made by a doctor.

😆

teethgrinder

Where’s the Ellsworth sketches?

Superficial
    Free Member

Love it – thanks for posting.

I have seen the sketches before (possibly not this exact collection, but a very similar set), which makes me wonder: I presume most people on this forum would not ‘fail’ this test. Hell, I reckon I could draw pretty much every full sus mountain bike design over the last two decades. But perhaps I’m biased because I spend most of my free time riding bikes / reading about bikes / looking at bikes online.

Is there a non-bicycle alternative test that would assess me in the same way?

bails

It’s like this: https://goo.gl/maps/htxpYq4iXa42

You’d think that after answering “Can you build a bike lane?” with “What’s a bike” they’d give them a stencil or something.

Although it took me a few seconds longer than I’d like to admit for to spot what was wrong with this one:

njee20
    Free Member

Great!

slowoldman

Hmm, I quite fancy a 2 wheel drive fatty.

joat

Soon to be ridden by a hipster near you.
    With a bit of clever engineering, that two wheel drive fatbike might just work.

funkynick

But what happens when you turn the front wheel?

And I am sure that pink one could work… although you might need to beef up the seat stays somewhat!

bensales
    Free Member

bails

It’s like this: https://goo.gl/maps/htxpYq4iXa42

You’d think that after answering “Can you build a bike lane?” with “What’s a bike” they’d give them a stencil or something.

Just up the road from me, that. I’ll check it out on this mornings run for amusement. Never noticed before.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks for that! Superb stuff.

bencooper
    Free Member

But what happens when you turn the front wheel?

You just lean into the corners 😉

creamegg
    Free Member

Some interesting designs!

Why’s he added a bike stand to each one though?

kayak23

I done one from my memory too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why’s he added a bike stand to each one though?

So they don’t fall over.

Durbrain.

GrahamS

I remember an interesting little demonstration once at some show where they asked the entire audience to draw a bike.

The gender difference was very interesting:
    – men were more likely to draw it correctly or at least draw something that made some physical/mechanical sense
    – women were more likely to draw something a little more abstract but also much more likely to include a person riding the bike

Shackleton

I’m sure I saw some of those in the NAHBS coverage……

Brilliant project though, really fascinating.

Cougar

That looks uncannily like Pietre’s sketch, five or six frames down in the gallery.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Velocipedia – asking people to draw a bike from memory’ is closed to new replies.