Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Velo Birmingham?.
  • donkeydave

Hi
    Anyone doing this 100 mile sportive?.

I have been of the bike through sickness and injury the last 18 months and this could be the motivation I need to get back out there and train, and build fitness back up slowly!.

What should I expect and more importantly what should I be doing, just ride more and more?.

Cheers Dave. 🙄

lunge

I’m in. I’m expecting closed roads and a slick and well run event. I’m mainly doing it for the former, I know most of the roads on the route so it’ll be interesting riding them with no cars.

It’s not the hardest route in the world but it’s rarely flat, all undulating so it’ll keep you on your toes.

Re. Prep, well, it’s a 100 mile road ride so just ride more! If you can do 75 ish miles solo then you’ll be fine doing a ton in a group. There’s no huge hills, but there are a few kicks to wake you up.

armchairbiker

I wanted to do it, but I thought all entries were sold out

donkeydave

All entries are sold out but you can do it for charity, which is what I am trying to arrange.
    £40 fee then you have to raise £400.

jj55

There is a very vocal local posting half truths on a FB group page and getting people to sign up to a petition to stop this Velo because he doesn’t see why the roads should be closed by his house. The FB group is Bromyard Info. Be good to get alternate views from cyclists on this FB group!

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’m doing it – a recent convert to the ‘dark side’ when it all got too mucky MTB-ing last year. Presently doing 50/60 mile weekly club runs & did the 82mi ‘No Excuses’ in Cambridge a few weeks ago should be OK – I hope. It’s my first 100 -and on closed roads so looking forward to it…….

v8ninety

How was this for you guys? Had to battle my way home through closed roads at 0630hrs this morning as I live on the route (‘Battle = could you let me through please, I live there” “yes okay”), and I’ve been lying in bed listening to the riders zip past my window for the past half hour. Sounded good fun. Was it worth the fairly hefty entry?

Have heard there’s been multiple attempts to sabotage the route; tacks, razor blades etc. Hope the organisers managed to sweep it all up before it affected any riders.

v8ninety

Nobody? I drove past stragglers pushing their bikes up hills on the way to work tonight; 100 miles is actually a fair undertaking!

mechanicaldope

There is another thread going on this which appears a bit more lively:

STW Velo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Velo Birmingham?.’ is closed to new replies.