Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Vehicle speed limit when off road?
  • cinnamon_girl

Is there one? Have been digging around and unable to find the answer.

Thanks. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nah. Don’t go mad though, they’ll be some sort of offence if you put people danger.

simmy
    Free Member

Off road as in Land Rover style Greenlaning or just off the Public Road in a Car Park ?

cinnamon_girl

Byway.

simmy
    Free Member

Don’t think there is.

Could be National Speed Limit (60 mph ) as there are no signs and no street lights 😉

Like has been said, just travel at a speed appropriate for the conditions.

cinnamon_girl

Don’t go mad though, they’ll be some sort of offence if you put people danger.

What is the offence?

Like has been said, just travel at a speed appropriate for the conditions.

Conditions?

scaredypants

Conditions?

state of road (mud, gravel, moss, bumps), weather etc – so that you remain in control of the vehicle and are able to stop, change direction as required by predictable eventualities

I imagine

ninfan
    Free Member

National speed limit

Though catch all offences like careless and/or dangerous driving or reasonable consideration/due care and attention offences would cover anyone driving unreasonably fast on one

scotroutes

Silverstone is off-road, aye?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. I was rather hoping that there were specific clauses somewhere that applied to driving off road.

So, 4×4 caning it along a byway, so fast that there were dust clouds. I was cycling in the middle of the byway, there was no sign of speed reduction so I stopped and gave the hand signal telling him to slow down. As you can imagine, that went down well.

scotroutes

You are also a traffic cop?

cinnamon_girl

Gawd help anyone that annoys me when on the trail! 😀

The track wasn’t particularly wide and I didn’t want to be showered with dust and stones.

Five minutes earlier I encountered a 4×4, he stopped as it was a narrow track so as I could get through. Smiles and thank you’s. He knew that he had to give way to cyclists, horse riderists, walkers.

welshfarmer

Please do not confuse driving off road with driving on a byway. The latter is a fully legal road, just one that lacks a sealed surface. All the rules affecting any other “road” in the country apply, as in the vehicle must be road legal, national speed limits observed, seatbelts worn, no use of mobiles etc. However, offences such as dangerous driving and driving with undue care and attention also apply, more so given the expected multi-user nature of the tracks and expectations of other road users.

hopkinsgm

As above, though there may also be specific local bylaws to be considered

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Colin’s not used to dryness, dust, flying gravel and the total absence of mud.

Pickers

Though catch all offences like careless and/or dangerous driving or reasonable consideration/due care and attention offences would cover anyone driving unreasonably fast on one

I’m pretty sure these laws still apply in places that are away from public roads, but where there there is public access. Did it have plates?

Edit – beaten to it

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Byway is max 30mph.TRF riders tend to do less.But I am afraid just like public roads people go faster and like all users groups you rely on manners.To be honest going 30mph around blind corners is crazy.Do it on open tracks where you can see the coast is clear.I ride MTBs and an endure bike.

chainslapp
    Free Member

If people can get away with the lunacy I see on the public highway with no one policing what they do, then how can you expect anything to be done on a by way?

cinnamon_girl

Cheers chaps! I’ve never seen a 4×4 driven at that speed off road before and it’s a track that’s used by horses due to the number of stables in the valley.

I would say it wasn’t a regular 4×4 driver mainly cos it wasn’t a Landy. Usually find them very courteous and polite, this person was the exception.

Very very occasionally I’ve seen Police 4×4’s off road.

Edit:
    @ dobiejessmo – is that 30mph speed limit documented somewhere? Thanks.

mark90
    Free Member

is that 30mph speed limit documented somewhere?

If it is it will be a voluntary guideline. The legal speed limit it national limit.

The TRF have an advised voluntary max of 25mph for motorbikes. Most 4×4 organisations would advise lower, typically 15 or 25 mph.

But the national limit still stands legally as with other rural single carriageway roads.

v8ninety

Strikes me that you encountered joyriders. Either nicked or just bought for peanuts to thrash until dead. Braindead wastes of decent human organs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Very very occasionally I’ve seen Police 4×4’s off road.

I once saw a police Hilux trying to get up Machen Mountain just outside Cardiff, very steep and rocky, I’ve only cleaned it a few times on the bike.. Male cop driving, female cop in the passenger seat. There’s a radio mast at the top which has its own proper access road so there was no need for it to go up the steep rocky trail. It got stuck and had to back down, then it left. I think the bloke was trying to impress the woman.

v8ninety

I think the bloke was trying to impress the woman.

FFS Molly you’re stereotyping them based on gender bias! How very dare you man!! 😛 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

What is the offence?

Careless or dangerous driving, depending on the circumstances. Apply on a road or public place.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Byway is not 30 mph. In fact in can be argued that byways have no limits as like bridleways as they are a right of way not a highway which a UCR is. National limits apply unless signposted otherwise on these. Many byways and indeed unsurfaced UCRs have strange dual limits. They often run out of a village which has a 30 limit and as there is no derestriction sign the villages limit applies. However out in the countryside at the other end the adjoining tarmac might have a national limit of 60. I have seen plenty of these that have no 30 sign which could create potential for an argument with a bobby.TRF limits are voluntary as are any from other been landing organisations. Sounds like the driver was just a rude got.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Attitude may have been …drive as fast as you want.
    Theres hardly any police on the normal roads.. there’s definitely no police on a byway. Aint nobody gonna tell me in my Gnar tractor to slow down

cinnamon_girl

Yes, this is the problem cloudnine and this type of behaviour needs to be challenged. It was selfish, irresponsible and dangerous.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

One sees cops sometimes on the Salisbury Plain Perimeter Track.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Vehicle speed limit when off road?’ is closed to new replies.