Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Vehicle mileage check
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Just received this after trading in my old car, seem odd experian are asking if a car with 5000 miles on it would be clocked.

deadkenny
    Free Member

How old is the car?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Just received similar letter from HPI following a recent garage trade in.

philxx1975
    Free Member

It’s bizzarre

Original car was a 62 plate but had full Nissan garage history was bought on motobility from that dealer originally then sold to me at the end of the term from the same dealership ,one year this car had done 300 miles between services at 2 and 3 years.

I just find it odd a private company such as experian can ask about a car, begs the question why are they? Nowt to do with dvla

coolhandluke
    Free Member

They’re simply trying to establish a mileage history of the vehicle.

It will only help Hpi and subsequent buyers. I don’t believe you have any obligation to tell them if you don’t want.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Experian are a big credit check agency used by almost all credit companies in the UK (along with Equifax) and they do fraud checks and probably vehicle checks if there’s credit being taken out on a car. Your personal credit score comes from the likes of Experian.

simmy
    Free Member

Unfortunately, clocking is still common.

I used to lease my cars changing them on a regular basis, I had 4 before buying this one I have now.

Bored one night, I went through the MOT history checker with the reg numbers of the cars I’d had. The first one was a 57 plate Fiesta, registered 1/9/07 which went back to the leasing company in March 09 with about 48 k on it.

The leasing companies policy was to keep them till 3 years old so it would have gone out again on a 18 month lease.

Went through first MOT 8/9/10 with 22 k on the clock 😯 some poor person is pottering around in a car now which has lost roughly between 35 – 40 k

Superficial
    Free Member

Unfortunately, clocking is still common.

Possibly more so than ever.

Lease cars, mileage cap with stiff penalties for going over, no MOT or servicing for first 3 years (so no annual record of mileage). If you’re doing 20,000 miles / yr you can put 60,000 miles on the car in three years, but spend £80 to ‘clock’ it back to 19,000. If you’re a criminal.

So yeah, a lease car at 3 years old with low mileage is perhaps a bit suspect. However, I would guess that the fact it was Motability makes that a bit more believable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vehicle mileage check’ is closed to new replies.