Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • vehicle electrics experts please.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Just fitted a fag lighter socket to my motorcycle to recharge things like phones etc whilst camping. Any suggestions as to what power fuse to use?

andyl
    Free Member

What size cable do you have? (don’t go higher than that)

What is the lighter socket rated for? (and don’t go higher than that)

What is the most powerful thing you are going to plug in? (not much point in going way over that)

I’d probably just go with 5A, as long as the wiring and socket are suitable for it. 2A would probably be the most you need for phones etc as most chargers will be rated for 500mA. Put the fuse close to the battery, not the socket end of the wire.

Junkyard
    Free Member

5 amp should easily do.
    FWIW Power is volts [ i assume 12.6] x Amps
    So work out the maximum power of what you want to use [ assuming you used wire of the appropriate size [ threads per mm iiirc] and fuse appropriatley

10 amp will be fine as well
    20 amp is fairly large and possibly greater than the cable and possibly the lighter were designed for

EDIT: or what he said 43 seconds earlier

molgrips
    Free Member

They are generally 10A, which is why fag lighter powered things are always up to 120W.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta. 5 amp should be plenty. Wire is whopping. Not worried there. Socket has no rating on it. 5 amp max for gadgets to be charged.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Depends on the gauge of wire supplying the power socket. You shouldn’t need more than a 5A fuse. Mine supplied an old Garmin Sat Nav (newer ones are more energy efficient) and an IPod (hard drive type). My brother uses a 5A for his heated jacket and gloves.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘vehicle electrics experts please.’ is closed to new replies.