Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Veggie bodybuilders/muscle gainers, whey/hemp/soya/alternatives?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Intresting one this somewhile ago….last yearI posted on behalf of 19 year nephew who is a keen rugby player and talented at 6ft weighs 16 stone solid, has been ‘advised’ he needs some more mass to progress to next level…….needs to be closer to 17stone apparently…….he is a committed veggie so any thoughts on
    protien mixes

Whey powders
    Hemp protien
    Soya/Tofu

or any alternatives.

He had some IBS and stomach issues a couple of years ago so struggles with some food sources e.g Quorn…volcanic vomiting.

All opinions and thoughts welocome

MrKmkII
    Free Member

not too sure about specific bulking powders. but i know quorn isn’t that high in protein – compared to meat anyway. there are some pulses that are very high in protein such as quinoa – though some of this may play havoc with his IBS. but best way to find out is to try – for example, my partner has IBS and is fine with quorn. i would suggest checking protein levels of different foods on purchase, and bear in mind what kind of levels you’d get in meat. HTH

xherbivorex
    Free Member

best place to ask about this is http://www.veganfitness.net forums. there’s a lot of great info already on there about bulking (the lad that runs it competes in strongest man type events)…

hmanchester
    Free Member

Cannot look past whey here. Fantastic source of protein and he just needs to buy the bulk unflavoured impact whey from myprotein. Bung it in a blender with some milk, fruit, frozen berries, myprotein oats, etc. Huge amounts of lactose in whey if this is an issue… The more expensive isolate stuff has less, but still plenty.

Personally I wouldn’t go near soy. There’s plenty of arguments for and against but I’m happy with my T levels where they are and it’s easy to avoid for me being a meat eater.

A magic food for this chap is going to be eggs. Old school, proven, cheap, the saturated fat thing is a myth.

Eggs
    Eggs
    Eggs
    Eggs
    Eggs

A 200km a week, 95kg vegan writes…

There’s some good protein shake reviews here, some home made protein bar recipes here and evidence that veganism is no hindrance to gaining weight or strength here.

I’m aiming more for endurance than strength, so I’m not looking to intentionally gain weight, but the best advice I can give to any veg*an athlete is to follow The Miss Piggy Diet, Never Eat More Than You Can Lift.

vondally
    Free Member

thanks folks some good info

he is trying to keep his speed/endurance as well as bulking so the diet has to be the next look.

He eats eggs too many do not agree with his bowels,

chickpeas are fine lots of curries and bean mixtures hence the idea of shakes.

Any thoughts on whey vs hemp?

Like the Miss Piggy idea

Any thoughts on whey vs hemp?

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8869

I bet you wish you hadn’t asked now. 😛

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

he is a committed veggie

Why?

Everything I’ve read says it’s much harder to be lean and big whilst not eating meat and fish.

Everything I’ve read says it’s much harder to avoid heart disease, cancer and all sorts of other illnesses while eating meat and fish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice retort MTG

Perhaps he does not want to eat dead animals and he values that above his beautiful body

We all know in a competition between your ego and vanity and your morals which is going to win TSY 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

in a competition between your ego and vanity and your morals which is going to win TSY

Morally I think this would be an unfair competition.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice
    😆

instagator
    Free Member

There is actually a really good site I use, veganproteinpowders.net to find a vegan one that’s good, and then I just order it from whatever website

nickhart
    Free Member

TSY, this thread has been über useful for me, I went veggie as my body struggles with meat after stem cell transplant. There’s many many reasons folks do it, personally I feel better veggie, I don’t get bloated and I don’t fart anywhere near as much with way less potency too!
    Thanks to the posters.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Veggie bodybuilders/muscle gainers, whey/hemp/soya/alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.