Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Vegetarians- tips on making the transition easier?
  • nathb
    Free Member

Most of this thread is irrelevant to the OPs original request…

Simple fact is meat never used to be consumed EVERY day in pretty much every meal. The advent of battery farming and pumping animals full of antibiotics (plus god knows what else to allow them to live in poor conditions) came about and then suddenly it’s on most people’s plates 2+ times a day… it’s greedy and unnecessary!

Do I miss artificially impregnated, antibiotic puss laden cheap milk and meat?
    Nope you can keep it thanks, I’ll take my chances with vegetables…

If you’re interested in how tedious the whole thing is, and why most vegetarians are in hiding then click on a few of these deals: http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/quorn You’ll soon notice a pattern….

anagallis_arvensis

I’ll take my chances with vegetables…

A lot of them come with pesticide issues though tbf.

molgrips
    Free Member

The advent of battery farming and pumping animals full of antibiotics (plus god knows what else to allow them to live in poor conditions) came about

I don’t think all the food in our supermarkets in this country is made that way.

cokie

What are peoples thoughts on eating game? Not reared, but rather shot on farmland or natural habitat for ‘conservation’ or ‘pest’ control.

Mainly looking at those that don’t eat normally sourced meat due to the ethics of battery farming, environmental reasons and the antibiotics discussion.

Part of me says- don’t waste food, it’s low carbon and about as natural as you can get.

Other part says- I’m still not comfortable with eating something that’s been killed and I’m not comfortable killing/prepping it myself.

At this stage, I won’t eat it myself.

molgrips
    Free Member

My father in law hunts deer in America. I’m not a fan of blood sport as a concept, but the arguments are pretty persuasive. There are way too many deer because there are no wolves, and they really are damaging habitats for themselves and other animals. So humans hunting them and eating them is no different to wolves doing it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Out of curiosity; practical or ideological reason for such transition?

That is where the thread detoured.

See also motor forum threads entitled – ‘how long does it take to enjoy being a cyclist?’ Maybe 😉

The thing I hate about cyclists is their argumentative nature. That and they are always in your face. Just like veggies. Cyclist’s ‘save the world’ self-righteous attitude just hacks every normal person off. How do you know someone is a cyclist? Don’t worry, they’ll let you know. Go ahead and ask them what bikes are made of. Watch their faces when they realise that bikes are made in factories from the same unsustainable materials as cars. ‘But I thought they were made from unicorn farts and fairy’s kisses?’

Well no, they aren’t.

Someone somewhere is a vegan cyclist. Possibly the most annoying and self-righteous person on the planet. Makes me want to drive a car absolutely everywhere always. A car made from bacon and fueled by the tears of captive piggies.

cokie

Ohh, thread resurrection!
    It’s been 3 months in total now. Turns out it has been much easier than I thought. Not been tempted by any BBQs, enjoyed lots of new meals (inc. some recipes from this thread) and feeling great. I’ve cut down on other animal products too and can’t say I much miss them.
    Lets see how I get on in the next 6 or so months.

Harry_the_Spider

Good stuff. 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Vegetarians- tips on making the transition easier?’ is closed to new replies.