Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 213 total)
  • vegetarian – why?
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

What on earth do they put in beer that would make it unsuitable for vegetarians?

Not sure about the veggies, but real ale uses animal products in the manufacturing processing, hence why it’s out for vegans.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I like meat

and I like a land ruled by man not beast . . .

shivvverrrs . . .

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What on earth do they put in beer that would make it unsuitable for vegetarians?

Its something to do with fish, cant remember what though

philconsequence
    Free Member

do vegetarians refuse to look after pets? after all… a lot of pets kill other animals, cats for example.

the local cats eat more meat than me.

Free Member

I’m sort of veggie, because of my other half. I don’t purchase meat/meat based food stuffs where there is little reassurance to the locality and animal welfare. Meat factory food is pretty grim in taste and texture (compared to something like a cared for and fed correctly animal) and, a factory of death is not something I wish to support.

I eat fish, so long as it’s sourced from sustainable reserves and so does my other half.

Not forgetting the cost, why pay £5 for some cr*p chicken breasts, which don’t taste of much, were fed growth hormones/etc in their diet and you know it’s had a pretty poor standard of life before imminent death, where I can buy more than enough veg and have a damned tasty meal that is ultimately healthier for me for less money.

hope this helps

jt

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why some of them are so anal about the whole thing. Not eating a vegetarian food just because its been on the same plate as some meat? WTF?

Some of them don’t even eat honey! HONEY! how can you be cruel to a bee?? its barely got 3 brain cells probably.

RealMan
    Free Member

joao3v16
    Free Member

with only 20000 edible plants in the world, it can get a bit repetitive

I’m still working my way through the thousands of edible animals before I start on the plants.

So far I’ve only ticked off cows, sheep, chickens, pigs, pigeons, ostriches, alligators, numerous fish species, snails, crabs, ducks, geese, rabbits, mussels, prawns, lobsters, pheasants …

Still loads more lovely juicy succulent meat to get through before plants even get a look in …

joao3v16
    Free Member

Some of them don’t even eat honey! HONEY!

Now that’s just plain stupid 😕

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Now that’s just plain stupid

well, that’s just bee puke! Who’d want to eat that??

ransos
    Free Member

Not forgetting the cost, why pay £5 for some cr*p chicken breasts, which don’t taste of much, were fed growth hormones/etc in their diet and you know it’s had a pretty poor standard of life before imminent death

True, but that’s not an argument for vegetarianism. I pay £7 for a free-range, organic whole chicken, and joint it myself. I can get 3 meals for 2 people out of that, plus the bones make a great stock.

toys19
    Free Member

Interesting article on vegan beer, there is a reason it seems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_and_beer

bikebouy
    Free Member

Blimey this moved on eh..

Ok, so Mrs BikeBouy turned veggie on/or abouts her 18th birthday and has been that way ever since, Moi, kinda kicked meat into touch from about 20odd (though still ate meat, just maybe once a month) now I eat meat say once every three months when FarmerBouy kills something and only then it’s probably because I’m getting to the point of curiosity again, but the OH simply refuses.
    Her reasons for turning veggie waybackwhen were simply because she can’t stand the thought of eating flesh or veins. From then on she went a bit politial on it and stired a few hornets nests whilst at Uni. yadda yadda.. but when she was about 28 she started to eat fish because of the Omega3 elements she was missing in her diet and it continued. Though she’ll never fillet a fish, she certainly eats them “top n tailed” and well prepared by yours truely (herumph, good job I spent sometime at Rick Steins then eh).
    She’s missing a lot of B12 at the moment and we’re looking to bolster that in both our diets so Marmite overdoses are imminent.
    She approves of sustainable farming methods BTW and has no hangups on what I eat (if I choose meat or not) She’ll not preach to others neither which is so refreshing.
    I admire her for sticking to it TBH, shes an amazing cook and can turn her hand to inspirational dishes that really makes you wonder why you would throw meat into the dish at all..
    Sometimes I’m weak though and a succulant rare steak makes me all horny, so I just have to.

(walks of blushing)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Omega3 elements she was missing in her diet and it continued

Plenty of seed /nut mixes if she is worried

rocketman
    Free Member

There’s far too much sanctimonious holier-than-thou bs about killing animals imo

It’s going to die anyway, might as well have it for ourselves. If I had to choose a last meal it wouldn’t be quinoa salad it would be a super-rare filet mignon

toys19
    Free Member

Plenty of seed /nut mixes if she is worried

Indeed, as I mentioned before, there is no physical need for people to eat meat any more, there are plenty of vegan alternatives for all the nutrients you need.

binners

But what would we do with all the cows?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Blimey if we eat more Nuts we’ll go..

Nuts.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hello!

i’d like to respond to some points raised in this thread.
    first off though, although i’ve been vegan for over 20 years myself and am pretty opposed to the eating of animal products, i fully support the right of anyone to make informed decisions for themselves and with that in mind none of this should be considered as moralising or preaching.

why dont vegans refuse to use roads? loads of animals are killed to make roads….

are vegans against abortion?

would a vegan eat a carrot if i stuck googly eyes on it and drew on a sad face with a pen?

do vegans perform oral sex?

all valuable questions….

roads- i’m sure some do. i know plenty who won’t drive. not me though. you do the best you feel able to do. we’re ALL hypocrites to some extent when it comes down to it, unless we are absolutely amoral and genuinely do not care about a single thing.

abortion- yeah, lots of vegans are anti-abortion. same as lots of omnivores really. it has nothing to do with veganism. FWIW, i completely support a woman’s right to choose.

the carrot- only if you used plant-based inks, non-toxic of course.

oral sex- yeah. why not? you’d be mad not to, it’s loads of fun. again, nothing to do with veganism. although obviously, i suspect you know this and these are actually NOT important questions phil!

What on earth do they put in beer that would make it unsuitable for vegetarians? I have the same thoughts when I see vegetarian cheese?

beer- isinglass. it’s used to filter some beers, and it is made from a fish’s swim bladder.
    as someone else said, non-veggie cheese contains rennet (which is made from a cow’s stomach lining).

BBQs eating must be boring at a vegan’s house.

I do. I love cooking. Hence I fear I’d find a full-time vegan diet incredibly restrictive. I often look at veggie options to cook but generally find them uninspiring.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong if you fancy posting some recipes though

BBQs, and indeed eating in general, are far from boring at mine. i’d suggest that they might not appeal to a lot of omnivores though, but let’s not confuse that with being boring, eh?

to be honest, if Anything i find that a vegan diet is probably far more varied and interesting just because if you want to do it properly and eat healthy, balanced foods/dishes, you HAVE to put more effort into your cooking.

Actually, whilst we are on about it if any of the vegans on here could let me know where I can get sutiable fat to use in baking that would be great. I’ve used some of the PURE stuff that comes in tubs and is ostensibly spredable but that didn’t work too well, at least I didn’t think so. I’d like to know if there is any solid stuff that comes in packs like butter.

i find that Pure or Vitalite works fine for most baking applications too, but if you want to try other solid fats then there’s Tomor (which is a hard margarine, kosher and non-dairy based) or in place of lard then Trex is animal free too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

there are plenty of vegan alternatives for all the nutrients you need.

True, but some non vegan ones are in forms that are more readily accesible to your body than the vegan ones.

phil.w
    Free Member

It’s going to die anyway

It wouldn’t have even been born if it wasn’t going to get eaten.

If everyone in the world was to become vegetarian many breeds would become extinct.

binners

Aye oop fella

*waves at xherbivorex*

wondered when you’d be along. You is late innit?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

alreet binners! i’ve been out for a bit of a bike ride this afternoon sir!

toys19
    Free Member

True, but some non vegan ones are in forms that are more readily accesible to your body than the vegan ones.

I do not doubt it, but is that a strong enough reason to eat meat?

binners

Good on you fella. Anywhere good? You coming to Delamere on Sunday?

Thanks for the answers. Had no idea about the beer and cheese thing. You live and learn

Junkyard
    Free Member

examples – and a genuine question. Do you mean more abundant sources rather then readily accesible? eg Iron?

If everyone in the world was to become vegetarian many breeds would become extinct.

I for one will miss meat eating trols like you phil 😉

Re fat I have no issue with pure or vitalite but tbh I usually use a bater mix for [sponge]cakes using liquid vegeatable oil

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Good on you fella. Anywhere good? You coming to Delamere on Sunday?

nah, just over round the usual water park stuff. going stir crazy on the rock’n’roll, you know!
    can’t make delamere, we’ve got a race to organise up at lee quarry on sunday. agh.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Never been a veggie, I like meat too much to do that.

I got involved with a girl a while ago now, I didn’t realise at the time and despite the (now obvious) signs she was a proper vegan. At first I thought she was just on some sort of diet, but she got more & more neurotic – hugely confrontational about anything surrounding a potential vegan lifestyle issue, yet brilliantly hyprocrital at the same time.

Doesn’t bother me if people want to be veggies, vegans or whatever, just as long as they don’t try & constantly force their opinion on others when it’s not wanted.

Fantastic norks though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

xherbivorex -you are correct, they weren’t serious questions 🙂

apart from the road one… as much as i’d never argue with a veganatarian as i believe its their choice, fair play to ’em…. its a question i have sometimes wondered about, i’m struggling to think of a single thing that humans do that hasnt (at some point) impacted on another animal, even working in a vets to save animals involves building the vets building itself!

to put yourself in a position where you do absolutely no harm to other animals would mean having to kill yourself as far as i can see, so as long as people can be honest with themselves and think ‘yeah a chicken wont die, but i admit i did use a road that was built over a badgers den this morning’ then i’m a happy bunny 😀 i like people who are self-aware and can reflect on their own actions.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP is veggie, I’m not. I respect her choice and she respect mine. We have no problem with it either way.

But I do not like having the whys and wherefores shoved down my throat, especially BS like this:

I dont know if anyone has told you this but killing things is not nice so I dont do it

Which is utter drivel. I’ll do it if I want (And I have done) becasue I believe that humans are naturally omnivores, are they not? (which is why we have canine teeth FWIW) I like meat, so it’ll eat it. My choice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fantastic norks though

I mean Ive got no problem with people eating meat.

But cannibalism?!?!?!

Clong
    Free Member

I find it weird how some vegitarians claim to be vegetarians, but eat fish/chicken/bacon on occasions.

I was under the impression that vegitarians abstain from all meat. If not, then your not vegetarian IMO. Apprecaite that there might be the the occasional lapse via accident/nessecity, but to voluntarily eat meat on an infrequent basis, means your a meat eater, i think.

toys19
    Free Member

even working in a vets to save animals

I think that is a bit of a myth, vets – specifically large animal vets are an important part of farming – essentially keeping animals healthy and alive so that farmers can maximise their profits (or at least stay in business). I’m not against it in anyway, but I think people should at least be aware of what a vet actually does.

My Dad is a vet and often used to have kids do the farm rounds with him as work experience, a large proportion of them are put off by the implications of what a vet does (and the cold,sheete,stench, long days, night work, crap money).

gonefishin
    Free Member

I do not doubt it, but is that a strong enough reason to eat meat?

No, but then is the fact that there are vegan alternatives exist a strong enough reason not to eat meat? For some not doubt the answer is yes, for others no. I do however think it is important for those switching their diets to realise this so that they can make sure their diet reamins balanced.

examples – and a genuine question. Do you mean more abundant sources rather then readily accesible? eg Iron?

sort of yes. Iron is available in many veg but in a different form than in meat and your body can more easily get at the iron in meat than in veg so your RDA (based on what you stuff in your mouth) would have to increase to that the amount your body abosrbs remains the same. I’d imagine that protein is the same, i.e. meat is a more dense form therefore you need to consume less of it to get the same benefit.

philconsequence
    Free Member

it was an example…. i’ll try another;

even working for the guiding dogs for the blind in a voluntary capacity, a role dedicated to the welfare of the dogs… will involve putting on clothes in the morning, even if those clothes are made out of 100% hemp grown on land where all animals and insects are allowed to roam free then those clothes would’ve have to have been transported you… on roads, roads that were built on the natural habitat of something that breaths.

stupid example, but i’m just trying to make a point that everything we do has an impact on something else innit.

phil.w
    Free Member

I for one will miss meat eating trols like you phil

Ok, I do have a real question then Junkyard.

Do vegans have pets? and if so why is this any different to raising an animal for food (prior to the killing part)?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

apart from the road one… as much as i’d never argue with a veganatarian as i believe its their choice, fair play to ’em…. its a question i have sometimes wondered about, i’m struggling to think of a single thing that humans do that hasnt (at some point) impacted on another animal, even working in a vets to save animals involves building the vets building itself!

to put yourself in a position where you do absolutely no harm to other animals would mean having to kill yourself as far as i can see, so as long as people can be honest with themselves and think ‘yeah a chicken wont die, but i admit i did use a road that was built over a badgers den this morning’ then i’m a happy bunny i like people who are self-aware and can reflect on their own actions.

well yeah, spot on.
    as i said, we’re all hypocrites to some degree, it’s just that some of the more pious members of the vegetarian and vegan communities won’t admit that.
    the Vegan Society’s registered legal definition of the term “vegan” actually includes the phrase “to the best of your ability” (or something like that anyway)- nobody’s going to be able to avoid animal products entirely so you simply choose the best option available. i mean, obviously it doesn’t mean you go drink a pint of cow’s milk or eat a steak if you’ve got no non-dairy milk or tofu around; nowt necessarily wrong with doing those but you’re NOT veggie/vegan if you do!
    which leads me onto the other point- those people who call themselves vegetarians but eat fish. WRONG. well, they’re not wrong to eat fish (as such; it’s their choice) but why feel the need to claim you’re a vegetarian? these are the real moralisers amongst us all. our own personal dietary choices do not make us inherently any better or worse than anyone else, so just accept your own and stop making crap up for whatever silly reasons!

toys19
    Free Member

twas an example…. i’ll try another;

I know, wasn’t shooting down the point, just raising something new..

Although I am trying to think of ways to shoot down the point.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But I do not like having the whys and wherefores shoved down my throat, especially BS like this:
    I dont know if anyone has told you this but killing things is not nice so I dont do it
    Which is utter drivel. I’ll do it if I want (And I have done) becasue I believe that humans are naturally omnivores, are they not? (which is why we have canine teeth FWIW) I like meat, so it’ll eat it. My choice. .

Of all the drivel on here you picked that?
    FFS PP have a read of what I wrote I said What I do I did not say what you should do 🙄 Perhaps you want to argue that killing is not worse that not killing then? That should be easy for you eh?
    What exactly have I rammed down your throat here?
    Seems a bit odd PP have I done something to annoy you what with this and the Al motorboike thread you seem to tbe joing threads to simply have a go at me If I cared I would get paranoid.
    Seems a weak line of attack this PP

Junkyard
    Free Member

it’s just that some of the more pious members of the vegetarian and vegan communities won’t admit that.

when you have the tat you are the pious wing 😉
    Will bring some cake to Delamere if you are coming

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘vegetarian – why?’ is closed to new replies.