• This topic has 23 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Vegetarian Cookbooks
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Any recommendations? I’ve drawn a lady at work in secret Santa that has an obsession with cookbooks and is also vegetarian.

smashit
    Free Member

Anna Jones. We have one called ‘a new way to cook’ (I think) that we use all the time and we’re not actually vegetarian. Good, quick recipes that aren’t crazy complicated.

aP
    Free Member

Loads…. in the Indy
    Plenty – Yotam Ottolenghi
    Indian Vegetarian Feast – Anjum Anand
    Antonio Carluccio’s Vegetables

kerley
    Free Member

Thug Kitchen – Vegan but very nice recipes.

You do have to absolutely love swearing (which is a cookbook is unusual) otherwise look elsewhere…

zinaru
    Free Member

Second for Thug Kitchen! is great!

Hare Krishna Book of Vegetarian Cooking is also great!

dmck16
    Free Member

Go on. You know you want to…

Harry_the_Spider

Plenty is pretty good as is Prashad by Kaushy Patel, but if she has a thing for vegetarian cookbooks there is a fair chance that she has a lot already.

Didn’t take long for the first bacon related reply though 🙄

CraigW
    Free Member

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World – nice recipes, though it is American so may need translating

Ms Cupcake – looks interesting, maybe more English recipes

vdubber67
    Free Member

Sea Shepherd one is good

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty is excellent, I think he’s done another Plenty 2. Note his other cookbooks are non-veggie (also excellent)

Let me think 2 of my kids are veggie and they have another good cookbook they love. Also many italian options.

slackboy

+1 for Prashad. Great indian vegetarian cookbook

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Leon fast vegetarian is very good

ART

+ 1 for Anna Jones – either one, ‘a Modern way to cook’ ‘a modern way to eat’
    + 3 for Thug Kitchen – get the latest ‘Thug Kitchen 101’ it’s properly funny too which is a winner in my book
    +1 for Leon’s Fast Vegetarian

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Was too going to recommend Plenty. Also Veganomicon.

Not tried it yet but Madhur Jaffrey’s ‘Curry Easy Vegetarian’ gets mostly v good online reviews.

My quick cheaty veg/vegan recipe: *

1 x Jar Loyd Grossman Balti sauce. (Bought cos was a quid on offer. Actually v good!)

2 x big handfuls of puy/dark grn dried lentils

Enough liquid veg stock to double-cover lentils. I use a heaped teaspoon or two of Marigold low sodium dried bouillon

1 x diced carrot

4-5 sliced mushrooms

1/4 can of coconut milk

1 packet microwave brown basmati rice

Bring to boil stock then add lentils and carrots cook on medium/low heat until mostly soaked up and lentils soft.

Add mushrooms

Add sauce

Stir well and simmer further 10 mins stirring in coconut milk to add some liquid and creaminess.

Serve with the rice after microwave has pinged.

*Sampled and scoffed tonight along with a nice white wine.

thomthumb
    Free Member

julie sahni – classic indian vegetarian cookery

my go to book.

orangespyderman

Can I plug recommend my step-sister’s cookbook?

http://www.belindaconnolly.com/the-deliciously-conscious-cookbook/

Available on Amazon either as an e-book or a proper book. Also has gluten free options (her sister, my other step-sister, suffers from coeliac disease), and proposes vegan options or nut-free options to many of the recipes.

EDIT : An overview is available here http://www.belindaconnolly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DCC-choose-your-recipes.pdf

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit – serves two 🙂

thenorthwind

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg Every Day – where most recipe books you might use one or two recipes out of in reality, we use this book most days.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, Thug Kitchen

Was a pretty dedicated meat eater but this (and a pescatarian girlfriend) have changed me.

I like that they’re not trying to copy meat dishes or flavours but doing their own thing. Plus they swear a lot which is **** awesome **** bawbaggery total shit balls great cocks

kayak23

Beautiful food. My girlfriend is always cooking from it. I don’t think it’s specifically veggie, but just is anyway if that makes sense.

steveoath
    Free Member

The Thug Kitchen books are ace.

mogrim

Plenty is excellent, I think he’s done another Plenty 2. Note his other cookbooks are non-veggie (also excellent)

Not a big fan of plenty – lovely looking book, make a great present, but the recipes are a bit of a faff and use too many ingredients. Although the shakshuka is nice, I will admit.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg Every Day – where most recipe books you might use one or two recipes out of in reality, we use this book most days.

This is much better, and far more practical. Not as nice as a gift, though.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

+1 for river cottage. Recipes are generally really simple with a handful ingredients. We use it all the time.

aP
    Free Member

The Palomar book has some great vege recipes, mixed in with other things like lamb’s tongues… (which are nice as well). I tend to cook a lot more of the vege recipes than the meaty ones.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Vegetarian Cookbooks’ is closed to new replies.