• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hels.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Vegetables in cat food, wtf??
  • cheez0
    Free Member

So cats are carnivores, why the **** do they need carrots and bloody courgette in their food?
    Is this the catfood equivalent of 10speed cassettes?

firestarter
    Free Member

Why do they need ash too ?

PJay
    Free Member

I think that cats need certain micro-nutrients from vegetables, ours certain eats grass at times house cat owners are meant to grow small amounts of grass indoors.

I’m sure though that the veggies in cat and dog food is a bit of a gimmick.

Drac

In the wild carnivores will eat the stomach contents of the kill and get vitamins and minerals this way. Cat and dog food in tins tends to be utter crap so needs extras to boost it.

aP
    Free Member

Because it’s cheaper and contains certain nutrients that battery farmed chicken doesn’t contain?

cheez0
    Free Member

Has anyone got any proof of ‘ entrail’ eating by cats?

could be a unique selling point.. ‘..contains semi-digested herbivore stomach contents’

Yuk.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve got no photographic proof but our cat eats the entire mouse except for the head.

Sometimes she just eats the head.

I suppose it’s possible she decapitates the mouse, leaves the uneaten body lying there for me to pick up and then returns the mouse head to the same spot once I’ve removed the body. That is exactly the sneaky kind of thing a cat would get up to, just to mess with my head.

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered why they don’t do mouse or blackbird flavoured catfood.

Our cat never had a hope of taking down a whole cow, so how would it know, or care what beef tasted like.

I’d like to say it knew how to take down a mouse or bird, the best the lazy fluffbag ever bought home was a slow worm.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s not for the cat, it’s for the owner. Makes them think they’re getting a better class of cat food. HTH

dan1980
    Free Member

If my moggy had a thing for mice, and cat food manufacturers came out with “Pan fried fillets of house mouse with catnip and hairball jeux” at least I’d know she was getting stuff she apparently liked.

cheez0
    Free Member

my cats dont eat mice, clearly mice dont taste nice (is that a rhyme?)

Thats why you dont get mice flavoured cat food.

They do however like heads off garden birds.. perhaps the cat food should be

‘mangled assorted garden bird flavour’

oh, and my ‘exotic’ grass (no not that sort, the non standard spiky shit not the lawn or smoking variety)

Any more cat dietary wierdness? any veggies/vegans/wheat intolerant?

cheez0
    Free Member

Our cat never had a hope of taking down a whole cow

They probly get a bit of help to take on one of those m8, like a crashing 747 or something.. 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

As an owner of 3 cats, I can testify that many of these vegetables end up back on my bloody carpets!!

hels
    Free Member

Mine eats whole mice, birds, moths, bugs you name it, often in one swallow. Also chews on grass in the garden.

Cats we had in NZ would eat lizards.

She likes cheese too, and vegemite on toast if I have forgot to get food in.

They do need a varied diet.

cheez0
    Free Member

As an owner of 3 cats, I can testify that many of these vegetables end up back on my bloody carpets!!

Testament as to why cat food should not contain vegetables.

hels, I can understand cheezey snacks for cats, and are freely available, but why not add grass to catfood instead?

‘Lamb and lawn’ flavour?

hels
    Free Member

cheezO:

Thats an excellent idea – register a patent immediately !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Vegetables in cat food, wtf??’ is closed to new replies.