Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Vegetable gardeners: What are you growing?
  • salsaboy

This will be my first season, only planted beetroot so far.
    Been setting up my compost factory last week.

miketually
    Free Member

I ask about the front garden as we have a pretty big garden at the front, which is basically just one big area of lawn. The back garden is taken up with chickens and the kids toys, so there’s not a lot of space to grow veg left there. The front garden gats very little use, apart from growing some rosemary.

I was thinking of an edible hedge around the outside – various fruit bushes.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a few veg that could serve a semi-decorative purpose.

Chard is quite colourful, Fennel has nice fronds.

Somebody near us has a quince hedge, which looks absolutely beautiful at the moment with lots of tiny pink blossoms.

woffle
    Free Member

I was thinking of an edible hedge around the outside – various fruit bushes.

I’d recommend netting if you do this which may spoil the aesthetic somewhat. We didn’t in our 1st year and ended up with about 5 raspberries and 15 red currants whilst the pigeons and assorted other wild birds got fat

Oh, if you want edible flowers there is borage (good with pimms) and nastursions (sorry about the spelling, not sure if that’s right?) which are great in salads.

uplink
    Free Member

This year, we’ll also be keeping bumble bees 🙂

Bumblebee Box

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Talking of raised beds, how high and what do you fill ’em with?

I’m thinking about 16″, but not sure what to use as soil. Thinking top soil mixed with well rotted horse manure?.

woffle
    Free Member

Ours are two scaffold boards deep, with part of that being sunk into the ground. The insides were lined with waterproof membrane to help prolong the life and to make sure there were less nasties leaching into the soil

Picture taken mid-construction.

To fill – this four took a couple of tons of decent topsoil liberally mixed with well rotted manure and garden compost.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good book or website for a total newbie at this? I have some overground land at the rear of my garden which I would like to turn into an allotment this year but I need some direction.

wors

titchmarsh is your friend

tinker-belle
    Free Member

After last years bumper crop of chard, I will only be planting a very small number of plants rather than 3 rows of the stuff at one point had half a fridge full of the stuff.

This years crop so far are….
    Peas
    Purple Beans
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Baby Sweetcorn
    Carrots
    Pumpkins
    Lettuce
    Cabbage
    Onions
    Spring Onions
    Chard

and a number a of herbs

Have found that using various pots (including and old butlers sink) are great for expanding the space I have to grow my veggies.

woffle
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good book or website for a total newbie at this?

Bob Flowerdew does some excellent books on fruit and veg and my inlaws swear by the Carol Klein RHS Veggie growing book.

The RHS Gardening techniques encylopedia is pretty good too..

chakaping
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good book or website for a total newbie at this?

I used this and would highly recommend it…

The Allotment Book

Very approachable and well laid-out.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll take a look at those.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Vegetable gardeners: What are you growing?’ is closed to new replies.