Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Vegetable gardeners: What are you growing?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I seem to remember there are a few veggie growers on here, wondering what people are doing this year. Perhaps we could share advice and experiences?

Spent a good few hours in the garden over the last couple of beautiful weekends, putting right some of the neglect since baby arrived and work went mental.

Sown broad beans, peas, leeks and spring onions in my raised beds.

I put quite a lot of onions and garlic in last autumn, but have now added a load more for a bonus crop.

Think I’ll also have another go at courgettes, fennel, beetroot, carrots and pumpkins this year.

wors

spuds, peas broccoli and spinach at the mo, need to make room for some more stuff though

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Spuds
    Carrots
    Garlic
    Onions
    Courgettes
    Salad greens
    Radishes

..and possibly some other bits

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think onions give the best amount of crop per unit area and effort required. Beets are good as you can use the tops as spinach too 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Hemp 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

wors – How’s the broccoli worked out for you before? I’ve had good results from purple sprouting but the calabrese was just devoured by the pigeons.

I’m always trying to steal new bits of the garden to grow veggies in. What use is a shrub to anybody?

antigee

i was surprised how easy mange toutes are and keep cropping for quite some time

willard

Spuds in one bed, broad beans and lettuces in another.

I have runner beans, tomatoes (moneymaker) and beetroot coming up in the mini-greenhouse too and strawberries out in a planter.

All of this will step up a gear when we get an allottment though.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Pigeons

I fabricated some frames using 12mm plumbing pipe and various elbows, etc. They go over teh beds and netting over the frame, held down by big stones, etc. Easy to remove for tending to the crop

stumpy01

First attempt this yr.

In the house at the moment, until they get big and strong:

basil
    tomatoes

In the cheap greenhouse propogator thing:

Onions

In the ground:

coriander
    parsley
    spring onions
    lettuce
    radish
    carrot
    parsnip
    potato

in the shed, awaiting planting soon:

curly kale
    brussel sprouts

wors

chapaking-first time i’ve tried, i grew a few things before but then jnr turned up and then didn’t have time, this year he’s helped me sow the seeds, just poking through now so fingers crossed, need to get some netting to protect them though.

chakaping
    Free Member

piedi – Yeah, I had better results growing in a fruit net sort of thing that I made, but the veg never seems to grow in the right direction or to the right height for the frame.

I think I’ll just concentrate on stuff the pigeons don’t like so much.

miketually
    Free Member

Our chickens are taking up the space I was going to use for growing veggies. Have a couple of small beds that I’m going to use mainly for salad leaves and spinach.

ski
    Free Member

We have Peas, carrots, sunflowers and beans all in seed pods all over our house, waiting to sprout.

Have a real monster of a rhubarb plant under cover at the moment 😉

Took on a disused allotment last year, its been hard work clearing the area and have a real problem with Cooch Grass, which means nothing much is going in apart from Potatoes in raised beds.

chakaping
    Free Member

stumpy – You’ve just reminded me to get more basil. It’s been one of my most reliable and prolific crops in the past. Had a greenhouse full of it the summer before last.

Anyone got any tips on treating a greenhouse to get rid of that green algae stuff? It ruined most of the stuff I put in there last year.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I have a couple of carrot-tops in some water…

uplink
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for a good outdoor tomato
    ‘Outdoor Girl’ has cropped well for us up the NE when others haven’t, small & sweet tasting

We also had lots of trouble with carrot fly until we found out that they can’t fly above 2’6″ so now all our carrots are grown in barrels & never suffer from it

MTT
    Free Member

what am I growing? rabbit food at the moment 👿

wors

chapa – is your greenhouse in the shade?

chakaping
    Free Member

Miketually – fresh eggs and fresh spinach – yum.

Ski – I had to give my allotment up last year following arrival of baby, but when I needed to clear it I wasn’t ashamed of resorting to Roundup to clear it quickly and effectively. Good luck with the couch grass!

woffle
    Free Member

This year – going to be trying:

Spuds
    Onions
    Garlic
    Spring Onions
    Variety of greens – lettuce etc
    Courgettes
    Broad Beans
    French Beans
    Berlotti Beans
    Carrots
    Tomatoes

All planted in raised beds constructed out of scaffolding boards or in large containers. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick some old glazed windows/doors from the tip this year and add some roofed beds for bringing more on from seed going forward.

…and on the fruit side:

Gooseberries
    Raspberries
    Red currants
    Blueberries
    Apples
    Pears
    Rhubarb

We inherited a few canes/bushes when we moved in and discovered a neglected veg/fruit patch – we have ‘rennovated’ them over the last 2 years and then added some apple / pear / plum trees as well as a selection of other bushes. They seem like less work than the vegs but do require an eye on pests and netting to keep the birds off.

Neither my wife or I had grown anything before we moved in 2 years ago – so don’t profess any expertise but it’s great getting out and harvesting and it’s been a boon in getting our two daughters to eat their greens. On the ‘tip’ side – our Kale got completely ravaged by caterpillars in our first year but we found companion planting seemed to keep the rest of our crops relatively intact (borage, marigolds etc in the corner of each bed). I’ll see if I can dig out the list of flowers we planted – looked really nice too!

Also found sweetcorn to be the biggest waste of time and space relative to crop. Followed closely by pumpkin / squashes…

chakaping
    Free Member

wors – Yes, there’s a 6ft fence to the south and west of it. Is that a cause?

jimmy

just got some pots outside, planted some broad beans and garlic about 2 months back. They’ve just started going nuts and growing hyper-quick. We’ll only get one meal out of the beans, I should think but enough garlic for a few months. Although gonna try HFW’s wet-garlic bhajis. Hmmmmmmm

wors

it can be a cause of algae build up, yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just dug over the veg patch, nothing in it at all right now.

Got no idea what to start with this early. My dad said it was too early but you lot seem to be well under way.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get out at the weekend and see if the wild garlic is up yet, though I think it’s still too early this far north.

jimmy

tons of wild garlic on the river banks round here. Anyone got a good use / recipe for it?

ski
    Free Member

jimmy, you have got to try and make some Garlic Beer!

Smells like garlic but tastes great aparently 😉

woody2000

Just got me an allotment, and after a few hard weekends clearing, digging and building raised beds, I’ve just started planting:

Spud Patch
    Maris Piper (in)
    Desiree – chitting
    King Eds – chitting

Bed 1
    Parsnips
    Carrots
    Beetroot
    Turnips

Bed 2
    Onions
    Shallots
    Garlic
    Spring Onions
    Leeks

Bed 3 (pending!)
    Broccoli – purple sprouting and “regular”
    Peas
    French beans
    Courgettes
    Cauliflowers

Fruit Bed
    Raspberries
    Gosseberries
    Blueberries
    Apple

Will be chucking some salad leaves in wherever there’s room 🙂

It’s cost me a grand total of about £20 so far for the plants/seeds, and £30 for timber (old scaffolding boards) for the beds. Fingers crossed!

ski
    Free Member

Have you seen the price of rotavators though!

Goes off to moan and groan in the back of the shed…………..

retro83
    Free Member

just had the first buds show up on my chilli plants 🙂
    I just scraped the seeds from a chilli I bought from tesco and stuck them in plant pots.

miketually
    Free Member

Anyone using their front gardens to grow veg?

steve-g
    Free Member

I have a one bed flat, so indoors next to the window i have cherry toms and chillis on the grounds that they will not take up too much space, and that getting the chillis fresh really makes a big difference.

What else is good for the apartment gardener?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, onions and garlic.

They just look like flowers that haven’t flowered, if you know what I mean.

chakaping
    Free Member

Basil is worth a go, if you like it.

uplink
    Free Member

a pot with some chives in it is always good

woody2000

You can grow baby salad leaves with not much room, just plant ’em then pick ’em not long afterwards!

ski
    Free Member

Had hanging baskets with tomatoes and chili peppers in last year, lost a few to people helping themselves as they passed.

Used to get the odd half eaten chili’s on my doorstep when I came back from work 😉

You could try herb window boxes if space is at a premium?

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a lemon tree with lemons swelling nicely, got some artichokes growing plus potatoes, chard, will have beans and courgettes later.

and i don’t have to specifically grow them as they are everywhere, wild strawberries.

mt
    Free Member

Purple sprouting is just about ready. Can’t wait. Wild garlic, don’t just take the leaves have ago at the flowers also, look really good in a salad. Kids love eating flowers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Vegetable gardeners: What are you growing?’ is closed to new replies.