Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Vegan Cyclist loses it at close passing driver.
  • sirromj

A video of him confronting a big angry giant of a man might be a bit more interesting.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Well, looks like somebody didn’t get any sleep with that pea under his mattress.

slowoldman

Why did he overtake then pull over for an argument?

I imagine he was responding to some gesticulation.

jonnyboi

Durian rider is a weapons grade bellend, I can’t stand the bloke. I bet the bloke in the Alpina twigged who it was and aimed for him…

^this. He’s so annoying I’ve decided to abandon my plans for a veggie supper and eat a steak

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Problem is it’s the norm here in the UK for a car to buzz past you within 3 foot. In Australia they are much more conciderate so this would seem bad. However Harley was playing it up for the camera. Amazed how many people on here don’t know him considering he’s the most popular cyclist on YouTube.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Durianrider is a bit out there but if you guys wanna watch a channel of a cyclist that really makes you have love for the sport then watch cycling Mavens channel. The guy is an absolute gent and some of his vlogs are golden.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Didn’t watch it all as I’ve better things to do.

Yeah the car was closer than you should pass, but hell hardly that close. Happens all the time, especially if you ride that close to the kerb.

When I was young and rode road a lot I’d bang on the side windows of a car I could reach. Often they’d stop and rant at me. Usually they’d calm down when I showed them my arms aren’t six feet long. Of course I’m more mature now so just give them ‘the finger’.

More seriously it’s the number one reason I started mountain biking. I don’t even own a road bike anymore

bombjack
    Free Member

Yeah, but was he full natty brah?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does his shirt have rude words on it? If so…..even more of an asshat than I’d previously thought.

weeksy

NEver heard of him until this thread… Seems a complete tosser though.

BigJohn

Durian. Isn’t that the fruit that smells like shit? Or vegan breath.

convert

I wear mine as its a good way to annoy people who dont care apparently:wink:
    Why do they have to wear club colours or why do they need to have the brand of their bike on it or Rapha or wear t-shirts about bikes when not on a bike

Some folk like to tell you things like their musical tastes or hobbies or food they eat on their t-shirts – I am surprised you have only ever encountered vegans who do this.

I dont know why they wish to share this probably because they care.

The tricky bit is the ones that ‘care’ in the most overt ways (and I’m not really confining this to veganism) are often the most maladjusted and about the worst ‘adverts’ for the cause. The ones that just get on with being regular members of society but just happen to be vegans/gay/religious etc, not hiding it but its just a factor of their lives known to those that know them, tend to be the best role models.

There was a lady at work who came out as lesbian in her late 20s who just obsessed about it. She wore a t shirt with a pro lesbian slogan most of the time and if not a pin when she needed to be smarter. Every decision, be it big or small she felt like she was required or entitled to a special opinion. A self appointed LBGT arbiter. I kid you not when it came to the choice of team christmas lunch location (Ask or Prezzo – we lived large) she sent around an email that said ‘as a lesbian I would be happy with either’ without a trace of humour or irony. And this is in a work community of 20% LGBT employees who were the first to roll their eyes are her every utterance. I felt a bit sorry for her in the end (she ended up leaving as work pressure was getting to her and she wanted to focus on her ‘lesbian inspired’ art) as this one factor of her life had consumed and paralysed her for being a complete member of any community. Maybe it was caused by years of self (and who knows family) generated repression but it was not healthy.

That was a long rambling way of saying that whilst wearing your tribe (quite literally) on your sleeve might have positive promotional aspects to it you are always going to be at risk of aligning yourself to the counter productive nutters.

kerley
    Free Member

Sadly that just seemed like the average pass to me. In my experience it’s rare somebody actually gives the right amount of space or hangs back until it’s safe to pass.

Yep. On EVERY ride I will get at least one person overtake me on a blind corner/blind crest. Never give enough space, never contemplate that a car may be coming in the opposite direction.

I ride in primary and when I have had ‘discussions’ with the driver their first line is usually “what are you doing riding in the middle of the road making it hard for me to overtake”.
    I always ask them whether they would have overtaken a car in the same spot but even they they don’t really get it.

I think the upshot is they just don’t care as they must know it is not safe to overtake on blind corners?

theotherjonv

I always ask them whether they would have overtaken a car in the same spot but even they they don’t really get it.

Same.

A (non-scientific) study of this with friends, some of who are cyclists but the majority not, and the ‘reason’ was really scary, namely that overtaking a car in that position, if something is then coming they can’t pull back in and will have an accident.

Whereas they ‘can’ pull into a cyclist and while it might scratch the car and put them onto the pavement / into a hedge, the motorist is unlikely to get harmed as a result.

In cold light no-one I spoke to thought that was reasonable, that they’d willingly harm a cyclist before themselves but equally those that admitted they’d overtake in that situation, it must have been factored into their judgement somewhere.

Don’t know what the answer is, because it’s all being calculated subconciously at the time, but end of the day it comes down to self >>> others. And i suspect that is because they don’t see the harm that many of us that use the roads potentially come to every day, hence no idea how dangerous they are being.

traildog
    Free Member

The guys makes a large amount of money from revenue from his youtube site which he gets through clicks. So being a bell-end in a strangely entertaining way is what he does. It was not a good pass, but it was an opportunity to make another video to get lots of people to view an comment on.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Very similar to a lad round here,known for not taking crap off anyone, car cut him up while cycling along the side of Coniston, followed with a few rude gestures at car, car waiting further up road, lad rides over to drivers windows, few heated words ,leans in grabs keys hurls them into Coniston Water and rides off with a smile on his face leaving a gobsmacked motorist stuck!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

whilst wearing your tribe (quite literally) on your sleeve might have positive promotional aspects to it you are always going to be at risk of aligning yourself to the counter productive nutters.

I think this depends I know a fair few militant vegans and lesbians – not always mutually exclusive- and it just sort of depends.
    SOme are passionate some are a bit nuts

I do tend to agree that when a person lets one thing consume their entire identity its rarely a good thing whatever that is…cycling for example

I dont own anything that shows I am vegan but i do own things that show I am cyclist
    I assume I have angered folk [ at work] more for my pro cycling arguments than my veganism.

tjagain

the otherjohnv

Its because cyclists are not seen as a threat subconsciously

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I assume I have angered folk [ at work] more for my pro cycling arguments than my veganism.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that’s why they’re angry with you…….

😉

godihatehills
    Free Member

godihatehills
    Free Member

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Vegan Cyclist loses it at close passing driver.’ is closed to new replies.