Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • vectra cdti using/losing coolant ??
  • renton
    Free Member

I have a 2006 cdti vectra and over thepast few weeks its smelt of coolant evertime ive used it and the coolant is going down??

ive checked and double checked around for leaks and i just cant see any anywhere??

its using about half of the expansion tank every 100 miles ??

any suggestions before i book it into vauxhall and get stiffed??

br
    Free Member

Just get the coolant system pressure tested, don’t need a Vauxhall dealer for that.

And its probably the heater matrix that’s leaking, have you checked the carpets for ‘damp’?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Check the Head Gasket (look at the oil filler cap for mayonaise looking gunk).

There were a few of the 2 litre diesel engines prone to this.

renton
    Free Member

carpets are /were dry !!

Im out in jordan at the moment and cant check them now

will get the wife to check

renton
    Free Member

surely if its leaking that much i should be able to see it ?/

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Not is it’s the HG as it will be burnt off, mostly.

tthew

We had a car that did this, (not a Vectra). It was the head gasket gone, but leaking into the cylinder and and not the cooling system so no oil in the water. Water just burned off like Zedsdead says.

renton
    Free Member

oh **** i really hope not, cant afford that at the moment!!!

wife has already booked it into vauxhall tomorrow for “diagnosis””

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If your tight for cash don’t go to Vauxhall.

Do you have a local mechanic who you know and trust?

Where are you? If it is the HG we can do it for you. We have a trade account with Vauxhall, parts are not expensive and it’s an easy job.

renton
    Free Member

thanks for the offer mate, im actually out in the middle east at the moment and the garage my wife has booked it into know the car as they done the fuel pump on it earlier this year, decent set of lads so wont take the piss!!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

No worries. If you are near Glasgow give me a shout.

Also, ask your wife to remove the oil filler cap and have a look – the mayonaise is a dead giveaway. If it’s there then it’s pertty much 100% HG failure.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Heat exchanger on the rear of the engine block or it’s gasket is a good bet

renton
    Free Member

Update.

Wife has emailed me.

car was into vauxhall and they have phoned to say the bttom of the radiator is split and leaking slightly, also the intercooler has cracked to which explained my lack of power and whistling noise.

They also said the rad thats fitted isnt the standard one (siad its a valeo one?)and it looks like the car could of had a front end smash before i had it??

oh well thats me skint then !! 😥

cheers

steve

bigyinn
    Free Member

How much to do the work? £300ish?

renton
    Free Member

not quoted her yet but just looking on ebay at rads and intercoolers they come to nearly that already !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘vectra cdti using/losing coolant ??’ is closed to new replies.