Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vecnum moveloc 200mm dropper – reliability?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Does anybody have experience of these things? How reliable are they?
    http://www.vecnum.net/bike-parts/adjustable-seatpost/moveloc-seatpost.html

One down point for them, not only are they non infinite adjustment, but they specify the extension positions as 0/40/100/200mm. This would imply there is no 1 inch drop position at 170mm (surely the most important intermediate one for techy climbs)? Unless I’ve read the spec wrong and that’s what 40mm means?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d assume that’s what 40mm is, 40mm from slammed would be somewhat superfluous. If it’s anything like a gravity dropper you may be able to (carefully) drill extra holes.

I’d question your frame size though! I’m 6ft which mostly means riding a large frame which are typically 19″ or 20″. Hopefully manufacturers will catch up and start making 17″ ‘large’ frames to fit droppers properly, but until then, are you sure you’ve got room for an 8″ drop post (plus about 3″ for the clamp at the top and the collar/seal at the bottom?

sideshow
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ and long in the leg, and regularly run 400mm+ posts. Yes 🙂

Don’t want to buy it if it’s a piece of crap that will fall apart, though, so any experiences on that front would be interesting to hear.

frood
    Free Member

Looks like you can drop it by 30mm, 60mm or 200mm to me (140/170/200mm extension positions) not sure how much I’d trust a company that makes the leveloc travel adjust system though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

not sure how much I’d trust a company that makes the leveloc travel adjust system though

I’ve made a similar extension limiter for my reverb by splicing some dyneema D12 line around the top tube brace and the saddle rails, crude but effective. Never liked lock-down features on forks through.

sideshow
    Free Member

Looks like you can drop it by 30mm, 60mm or 200mm to me (140/170/200mm extension positions)

I think those are the different total extension ranges available in 3 separate models of the seatpost

sideshow
    Free Member

What’s wrong with lock down features on forks? Marzochhi used to do it, I thought it was great. So long as the fork bridge can take the strain of that rope, that’s the only worry for me.

Northwind

I’ve been tempted too but you’ve got to be pretty brave to buy a dropper post that’s not been well proven in crappy british weather. Nice evolution of the old gravity dropper.

And yeah, I don’t really see the problem with the rope, sometimes good engineering means doing something really simple.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s wrong with lock down features on forks? Marzochhi used to do it, I thought it was great. So long as the fork bridge can take the strain of that rope, that’s the only worry for me.

It messes with the geometry.

Say a 72deg SA is the optimum for producing the most power, so you design the bike around it, a 66 HA, and a 160mm fork.

Then you want a 70deg HA for climbs, so you lock down the fork to about 60mm, but this punts the seat angle to 76deg, steeper than even a TT bike, but without the benefit of elbow rests, Marzocchi ETA and MCR were even more extreme dropping to about 20mm.

It’s always going to be a compromise but I find that the systems that rely on the damping far more effective than adjustable travel, motion control etc keep the fork around it’s sag point (rather than locked out or locked down) much better for climbing as they keep the important bit (you and your legs) in the right position, a wandering front wheel you can compensate for.

frood
    Free Member

what thisisnotaspoon said and as above… A fork bridge isn’t designed to take a vertical load on it like that… might be fine for a while, but if you’re repeatedly compressing the fork and letting it come up and bump against that stop it isn’t going to like it sooner or later. I’ve seen a few snapped fork bridges (never my own). It doesn’t do the fork much good

sideshow
    Free Member

I see your snapped fork bridges and one up you with having snapped my own 😉

Northwind

frood – Member

what thisisnotaspoon said and as above… A fork bridge isn’t designed to take a vertical load on it like that… might be fine for a while, but if you’re repeatedly compressing the fork and letting it come up and bump against that stop it isn’t going to like it sooner or later

Yeah, but it’s a tool for slogging up boring hills, you won’t be doing any actual riding with it engaged.

sideshow
    Free Member

@frood rereading the admittedly quite unclear spec, I’m now inclined to think it does have a 1″ ish drop

The drops from full height are 40, 100, 200mm.

ChrisL

IIRC Vecnum expect you to use their own seatpost collar with the Moveloc or bang goes the warranty. I was interested in getting one until I confirmed this (I saw it mentioned in a review but it wasn’t very clear on their web site) but their collar is not compatible with the funny swoopy shape of the top of a Mojo’s seat tube.

Northwind

Which was annoying, because I wanted Chris to test one for me

kimbers

So do these exist in the real world?

goodgrief
    Free Member

These do, mine’s been great.
    http://www.yepcomponents.com/EN/index.aspx

Northwind

Vecnum have had some sort of supplier disaster and aren’t currently in production, they’re not expecting to relaunch til the middle of next year locally and the start of 2017 internationally. Shame, the extra drop is kind of a gamechanger imo, I’d love one.

kimbers

Shame about the Vecnum, lots of potential, the yep one looks interesting, tho 170 drop would be perfect for me !
    Cheers

sideshow
    Free Member

Clicked yep link. Saw it’s only 5mm longer than a ks lev. Was disappointed.

Shame about the vecnum indeed, who knows by the time they actually get it back to market my lev might be knackered enough to justify getting one 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vecnum moveloc 200mm dropper – reliability?’ is closed to new replies.