Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • V.cheap Android device for chromecasting
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Now that BTsport has gone to online broadcast only, we are having trouble getting my ageing windows 7 laptop to cast to the tv adequately enough for it to be watchable.
    So, what Android device can I buy that will do the job of casting? I was thinking of a 2nd hand phone with the chromecast app as we both have Windows phones & don’t want an iOS/Android phone as a handset.

jon1973
    Free Member

Probably a silly question but what’s wrong with just using a Chromecast?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We have the chromecast unit plugged into the TV but as I understand it, you need to watch BTsport through an app, which doesn’t run properly on my laptop.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peterfile
    Free Member

Jon, all the chromecast does is cast whatever it is you’ve got running on your device on to your TV. So you need to have a device that’s capable of running the apps you want to cast.

tthew

I’ve tried casting movies and the like, without much success. Think it takes too much processor power to draw the stream down from the internet, process it and at the same time WiFi it over the CHromecast.

Scratch all that, it looks like the BT Sport app is Chromecast enabled, in which case any cheap tablet or phone with a recentish version of Android will do. Once you have the phone and the chromecast connected, the phone is only functioning as a remote control, the stream goes direct to the Chromecast.

bearGrease

Got any Tesco clubcard points? If so Tesco Hudl?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s an idea, how much is such an item?

soobalias
    Free Member

you need to watch BTsport through an app, which doesn’t run properly on my laptop.

clunky as on firefox on my old netbook – much better in IE

cant comment on its castability (chrome) as i do that from an old phone.

so thats my answer – find an old android phone

soundb0y
    Free Member

If you use chrome browser to stream bt sport you should be able to sling that straight to the cc.

surfer
    Free Member

Dont you have a smartphone? once the cast starts it creates its own connection with your WIFI anyway so doesnt need the phone after that.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I have an old android tablet you can have for £25 posted?

It’s the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager, here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Voyager-Android-Capacitive/dp/B00A4D33K2

No box but comes with case, charger, and some other USB adapter cables for charging from computer.

No longer needed as upgraded to a Tesco hudl

hunta

My wife can cast to Chromecast from her iPhone. Sure your Windows phones won’t do it already?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Windows and google don’t like each other and the MS Silverlight app needed to run it has now been unsupported. We can get it to run fine on the laptop, just casting it runs very slowly & jerky.
    Youtube for example works fine, its the BTSport app that doesnt like windows so needs an Android system to run on.
    The BTSPORT app is Android/iOS only it seems.

Smufrl – will it run the BTSPORT app?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oo oo ooh! BTsport apps are in windows store!

lovewookie

I use an android mini pc HDMI dongle for anything androidy to tv.

relies on the dongle doing the work, but they’re not too bad. Think mine was about £20.

smurfly13
    Free Member

If you don’t get your phone to work then the tablet still stands. And it should run the BTSports app as its running Android Jellybean which is fairly recent.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Why not just buy a jailbroken Android tv box off the bay.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘V.cheap Android device for chromecasting’ is closed to new replies.