Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Vauxhall vivaro, Renault Trafic options
  • garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Hey all. Just looking at options for future transport purchase. Was thinking another estate but have always wanted a van (t4/5). The Vivaro and Trafic seem like decent options and are more affordable than the VW MB options. However, I don’t know much about the different configurations that they would be available in second hand. Looking for two/three front seats and a second row…..BUT not looking for a bulkhead as my other sport is kayaking and a white water boat or two must fit in the back. Every time I search for Vivaro or Trafic combi I get options that look nice but all have the bulkhead.

Also, what should be on the list regarding engine and trim levels?

scotroutes

I bought a plain van, removed the bulkhead and then had fitted three removeable seats (bolted, with load spreading plates fitted). Also had side windows fitted. That gives me all the options. If there’s a downside to this it’s that there’s only one side door. For me, that actually works better though some may find it a constraint.

When I’m “camping” overnight in the van I’ll have the rear seats facing the other way. It gives me more space and somewhere comfy to sit.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dhPTJ3]IMAG0147[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

vmgscot

I have a ‘factory’ doublecab Vivaro (58) and the bulkhead is a plastic bolted in part so could be removed. But the ‘factory’ second row of seats are bolted in so not a quick flick of a leaver job to remove and they don’t tilt.

colournoise

Just been through this search.

Most Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar crew cabs have a bulkhead, but I THINK these are pretty much cosmetic only and relatively easy to remove.

In the end we were lucky enough to find a fully converted Vivaro already done with rock-n-roll bed, swivelling front seats, battery, etc. Saved us a load of time and money.

EDIT. Also, TVP Addicts group on Facebook might be useful.

scotroutes

Oh – go for a 2009 or newer model. Earlier versions have a potential issue with water off the windscreen affecting the injectors and also some clutch problems.

Mine is the 2.0. It is plenty fast enough and I get over 40mpg on a decent trip. The cost of a full tank of diesel is always a shock but it then runs for a long time.

jairaj

The bulkhead is easy to remove, its held on with about 6 to 8 bolts and a couple of rivets that you can easily drill out. Took me about 30mins to remove it from a 2011 Traffic and I have no idea what I’m doing with anything vaguely DIY related.

There were seized injector problems upto 2010 model something to do with water dripping into the engine bay and corroding the injectors there may have been some recall / retro fix so check this work has been done. I believe this issue was fixed in the 2011 model.

There are crew cab models available which will have a second row of seats but from reading online it doesn’t look too hard to fit seats yourself if you can’t find a crew cab model.

My Traffic has 3 seats up front, the middle seat is a bit cramped, dash and gear lever restrict leg room. Its is fine for adults on short journeys but I’m not sure how comfy it would be on a journey longer than 1 hour I’ve not tried it yet.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Go for a low mileage 2.5 T5. The Traffics, Vivaro’s and Primstars are unreliable pieces of junk. They are really poorly made and the injectors are the least of their problems. I know so many tradesmen and all of them that have these have had major problems, two of which have had new engines after bits coming off within the block.
    I took the plunge and bought a T5 after years of driving Transits. I wouldn’t go back. It was always the high price that put me off but look at the resale value.

mactheknife

I beg to differ mekedabear, i bought mine 2 years ago. A 2007 a 2.0l Vivaro. I had issues with the injectors but absolutely nothing else has gone wrong. I have put about 30 thousand miles on the clock. I also know a few people with Transporters who are having constant problems with them and they are not a cheap fix either. Vans are pretty much the same regardless of badge. I kitesurf and bike so do know a lot of people with vans and transporters are so overpriced for what they are. Vivaro or the new fords are the compromise at the moment IMO

colournoise

Vivaro or the new fords are the compromise at the moment IMO

+1

Looking for a van I found just as many bad stories about VWs as anything else (bearing in mind it’s really only the negative stuff that ends up online). They do look nice but just couldn’t bring myself to pay the VW tax in the end…

mikedabear
    Free Member

Vans are pretty much the same regardless of badge

Not so. Traffic, Vivaro and Primstar are as they come off the same production line. Also I recommended a 2.5tdi as vans that use 1.9 and 2.0 engine are basically using a car engine where as 2.5’s are usually dedicated van engine or at least developed for an SUV.

I had issues with the injectors

That’s to many issues . My T5 is 2005 and hasn’t even blown a bulb.

transporters are so overpriced for what they are.

The build quality is far superior to other vans. Just look around and you will notice how many of the cheaper vans have bits of the cheap plastic trim missing.

and they are not a cheap fix either.

This is not my experience either. That is a mechanics phrase to justify over charging for a repair. I actually found that my 04 Transit was the most expensive van to repair. That was also an unreliable heap of crap.

compromise

Why compromise.

scotroutes

The plural of anecdote is not data.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does the minibus (combi) version have removable seats? Might suit you best.

The Traffics, Vivaro’s and Primstars are unreliable pieces of junk.

I’d take this with a pinch of salt.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

A 2.5 T5 would be amazing but for a budget of roughly 15k id be looking at high mileage only. You can get a very low mileage Vivaro/Trafic type van.

It must have:
    Ability to safely transport 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog plus bikes and skis regularly.
    Ability to transport 3 adults plus three kayaks less regularly.
    Be fuel efficient
    Be normal prices to service and repair.
    Have rear windows factory fitted.
    Have comfy / supportive seats.
    Receive an awning for camping trips.

A decent stereo is a plus. Don’t need a wee kitchen though that might be nice.

How much are Rock n Roll beds?

jaylittle
    Free Member

Two biking friends run vivaros (builder/plumber). Neither have had major issues and one of the vans has over 200’000 miles on the click.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

That’s great that the bulkhead can be easily removed on the Vivaro type vans. A few I’ve seen have a little 1.6 TDi engine, with a decent output though. Does anyone have experience with those?

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Trafic, 2.0DCi, converted to a camper. Its been fantastic. Reliability wise, they’re no better or worse than the equivalent T5, so don’t be too concerned that way, despite the comments above. VW long ago lost the ability to assert themselves as more reliable and better engineered.

They’re also better to drive than the T5, by quite some margin.

Also, the 2.0 is a great engine. You’ll not need the 2.5. VW use car-derived engines in their vans as well, so I’m not sure what the problem is there. I take the point about resale value, but thats because most buyers haven’t a clue, think VWs are still reliable, and just want the badge. There’s nothing innately superior about T5’s.

The other thing to note is that far more commercial outfits run TVPs, as VW’s are too premium.

Things to watch out for-

1)Scuttle panel seal has been done
    The seal that sits below the windscreen is a poor design that let water run onto the top of the engine and rust out the injectors. If/when the injectors failed, they’re tricky to pull out as they tend to snap. Post 2010 it was redesiged, but its still not perfect

2)Servicing/oil changes
    These 2.0 engines need regular oil changes to maintain cam-chain life. The long-life servicing doesn’t seem great for them. Make sure its been well looked after.

3)The clutch slave cylinders go, and its about a 4 hour job, and you may as well get the clutch done too.

For RnR beds- a full crash-tested one will be about £800, fitted.

If I was getting another one, I’d get an LWB (as Scotroutes advised me to) as the extra space is helpful.

Here’s mine:

£5k to buy, about £10k to convert, with everything under the sun. Its not the first time I’ve had T5 owners stop me for a chat, have a look around it, get talking about money and seeing them walk off in disgust when they twig that I’ve done all this for half the price of theirs.

spacey

I’ve got one very similar to cody, a 2010 2.0L and zero problems for me. Fitted the second row of seats myself, it’s a rock n roll bed, they cost anything from £500 to £2k depending on spec and comfort.

Apologies for the hijack but I remember you saying on a previous thread you got the 68mph restrictor removed. I’ve struggled to find someone to do it for me, if you could pass on details of where you got yours done I’d be very grateful, email in profile.

codybrennan
    Free Member

No probs spacey- here you go:

Vantuner Home

Great bloke. He’s got a network (or did have) of tuners/van mechanics around who can download your map onsite, securely send it to him, zip it back to the local mechanic for upload.

vmgscot

garryfmacdonald – we operate Vauxhall (plus Iveco and Fiat) commercial dealerships so I have driven a few of the new 1.6’ers. They drive just as well as my older personal 2.0cdti except in very low revs… the 2.0 will still pull in 3rd at tickover – the 1.6 won’t… just an observation.

Get an LWB. And if possible (although rare) opt for the dual seats up front (rather than 1+2). I have this factory option and much more comfy for ‘family’ duties on long journeys.

spacey

Nice one thanks, cracking van you have there!

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Good reading here. I have about 6 months til I will be buying but great to get this research out of the way now before I start trying things out. Spacey, who do you recommend for seats?

takisawa2

Any of you guys ever towed with one ?
    Looking at a van to replace my ageing Galaxy, as it spends most of its life laden with kids, bikes & a caravan hanging off the back.
    Have looked at some T5’s but £10k barely gets you below 100k miles… 😐

Vader
    Free Member

We are on our second 2.5 T5. They have been the most problematic vehicles we’ve owned over the last 30 years. New bottom ends, a new turbo, multiple driveshaft problems(shearing), gearbox failures and endless and I mean endless electrical problems – central locking a common fault and continuous engine management issues.

For us modifying the vehicle with seats and windows has narrowed the insurance options down a bit and pushed up the premium. I’m sure otheres will tell you how they did all that and got it ‘fully comp for 150 notes’ but that’s not my experience. We are a running a trade though, which doesn’t help.

matt_outandabout

problematic vehicles we’ve owned over the last 30 years. New bottom ends, a new turbo, multiple driveshaft problems(shearing), gearbox failures and endless and I mean endless electrical problems – central locking a common fault and continuous engine management issues.

This reflects a friends T5 ownership.

mikedabear
    Free Member

problematic vehicles we’ve owned over the last 30 years. New bottom ends, a new turbo, multiple driveshaft problems(shearing), gearbox failures and endless and I mean endless electrical problems – central locking a common fault and continuous engine management issues.

And still bought a second one.

Vader
    Free Member

based on your glowing recommendation you would wouldn’t you?

mikedabear
    Free Member

not me, the poster stated he had had two of them and listed the problems but still bought a second one.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I had a 2.0 vivaro for work (57 plate). Being a work van it thrived on neglect, annual service only no matter the mileage and I put 80K on it whilst I had it. It endured mainly digital throttle driving and it never skipped a beat, I was sorry to see it go at 120K. The same cannot be said for the 1.6 Peugeot “expert” I then got saddled with. Endless ecu problems and horrible to drive, especially in the snow.

Vader
    Free Member

but you said you took the T5 plunge and now wouldn’t go back. Either you think they are great or you don’t – which is it?

mikedabear
    Free Member

I do like them and have said nothing to contrary.

mikedabear
    Free Member

sorry wrong quote.

Either you think they are great or you don’t – which is it?

Posted 8 minutes ago # Report-Post

CountZero

My ’51 Octavia hasn’t blown a bulb since I’ve had it either, which proves nothing.

mikedabear
    Free Member

My ’51 Octavia hasn’t blown a bulb since I’ve had it either, which proves nothing

What an excellent reliable vehicle springs to mind.

revs1972
    Free Member

Scotroutes…. where did you get those rails you fix the bungees too please ?

Vader
    Free Member

These vivaro’s/trafics that you guys are running, are they cam belts or chains? The big vw 2.5 was always attractive for being chained but we’ll be looking at other options next time round. We do need enough grunt to shift a ton of stone in a twin axle trailer plus mixer etc in the van though. I’ve never been convinced the smaller engines would manage but maybe i am wrong?

mikedabear
    Free Member

2.5 t5’s are not belt or chain timed. They use a series of cogs therefore eliminating the need for belt or chain replacement.

Vader
    Free Member

Thanks but not what I was asking.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Had a 2010 ex-AA Trafic for a couple of years as a daily and race van. Had no problems at all, other than the fact you won’t really get much money back on them when you come to sell compared to a VW or a Merc.

I’m now running a low mileage T4 as I now only use the van for racing and it’ll hold it’s money much better.

If I had the option of TVP vs T5 though I’d go T5. I think that’s something to do with me also owning a 67 Beetle, a 1982 T3 and a beach buggy though 😉

takisawa2

Looks like DIN rail to me.

legend
    Free Member

get talking about money and seeing them walk off in disgust when they twig that I’ve done all this for half the price of theirs.

Probably raging that your side windows don’t leak like theirs too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Vauxhall vivaro, Renault Trafic options’ is closed to new replies.