Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Vatternrundan 300k sportive – anyone done this?
  • 40mpg

I may have, by appearing a little too optimnistic and confident, just committed myself to this:

Vatternrundan 300k sportive in Sweden

Has anyone done this? I’ve done quite a few Mountain Mayhems (in teams) but never tried riding all night (although only 2 hours of dark!) plus the following day on a road bike, with 22,999 other cyclists. In Sweden!

pennycomins
    Free Member

Hi,

Vätternrundan is an amazing race and worth the effort to train and chase an entry for. Unlike other sportives the race organisers re-fill cancelations so you should contact the organisers and see if they have any places. Explain that you are a an overseas entry and that will help your case too as they want to have more international flavour to the race.

Then – sort out your accommodation. Motala is a smaller town and so accommodation in the town centre is snapped up quickly. Many of the towns around the lake have accommodation on offer, so get that sorted first. A good starting place is the event website. Many homes let out rooms too, which is a great way to see the Swedish way of life and have nice meals and a shower, which you will feel like at the end!

http://www.vatternrundan.se/Default.aspx?module=4&content=67&lang=SV&fwsite=2

Training is the next important thing. If you have done 24hour races then you know what you are in for. The only difference being you are in a fixed position for longer and not moving over the bike like you are on a mtb. Riding long audax and sportives is great practise for how your body will respond to being in the saddle for that long. Make sure you do all the right things like wear the shorts, top, gloves you will wear on the day to ensure no chaffing and you are comfortable. A ride over 200k every second weekend for the previous 3 months should be enough, depending on what your level of riding is. It is important not to just be a weekend warrior though and get rides in during the week to bump the milage up. Try riding to work or riding to a family gathering. It will mean early starts but well worth it. You will be riding through the night anyway, so best get used to it. Great way to test your lights too as you will need a front and rear one.

Nutrition is key. Practise on your long rides what you would like to ride with on the big day. The feed stations are fantastic though, so you won’t need to take ALL of your food for the entire ride with you, unless you don’t like Blueberry soup or sweet bread rolls. There is something for every taste. The feed stations start at 40km intervals and as the ride goes on are every 30km and then every 20km, just when you need to have a few more stops. It is brilliant. There are two main stops with hot foods such as porridge, meatballs and mashed potato, lasagne and toast. I stopped at them all and came back with all my gels still in my back pocket.

There are a few hills, so don’t be fooled in to thinking it is flat. Especially after 200k, any bump seems huge! Riding through the dark is an amazing experience. You will be in a group as each pen is set off. The roads are almost clear, and this year some sections will be closed to traffic. You won’t need a huge light, enough to see in front of you though. There is a bag drop half way round where you can ditch your lights and warmer clothing so you don’t have to carry it the whole way. Don’t forget to keep a light rain cape with you the whole time. I was caught out last year and it rained really cold hard rain for a few hours and with 200k to go, you want to be as warm and as dry as possible!

If you have any other questions then please let me know and I will try to help you best I can.
    Kind regards,
    Penny

scandywag
    Free Member

Good advice above! When I rode we stayed in a local house, whose owners were also riding. Keep an eye on the weather forecasts beforehand as the weather can be very variable, one year my wife rode, it was frosty by the morning. If riding on your own, see if you can tag along with a good group that know how to ride, makes things a bit easier.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Vatternrundan 300k sportive – anyone done this?’ is closed to new replies.