Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • VAT on Hot Food….. Fair on fatties?
  • mrchrist

VAT on Hot Food

Can’t figure out if this is the government telling fatties to stop eating junk or just correcting outdated tax collection?

Suppose a hot sandwich or Panini is classed as hot food too, quite class blind then….what do you think?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ah, the Greggs Tax 😈

Shorty121
    Free Member

Anything to make them to loose weight

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m glad I just eat cake then. 🙂

garage-dweller

If I’ve understood Radio 4’s piece on this this morning correctly, it’s about shutting a tax loophole and levelling the playing field for everyone that sells hot food.

Currently if you can think of a reason to heat your take-away food that sounds sufficiently plausible that is not “because this is better served hot” then you don’t charge VAT on the supply.

So for example, “the main reason we heat our pies up is so they smell nice and bring customers in” means that someone might not be charging VAT, when the reality is that a minced beef and onion pie doesn’t taste anywhere near as good cold and therefore you wouldn’t sell (as many) cold ones.

If you can afford to argue the point (ie you are a large multiple) then you stand a better chance of not having to ultimately charge VAT (and you can afford to take the commercial risk of not charging it in the first place and having to settle up with HMRC later).

A sole trader/smaller business without the same negotiating clout with HMRC will have to charge the VAT making them less competitive as they can’t afford to lose a tribunal on it.

Arguably this is good for smaller traders as it puts them on a safer and more equal footing as they’re more likely to already be charging the VAT so won’t see their margins hit.

druidh
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    Oh and lipseal – cake is already VATable that’s what the Jaffa Cake case was all about. If you don’t want to pay VAT then it’s biscuits for you.

Wrong way round, surely.

garage-dweller

^^^^ yes it was. I hit post, realised my error was busy editing it when you posted… 😳

He’s ok with biscuits too I think, so long as they’re not chocolatey? But then what’s the point unless it’s a malted milk?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘VAT on Hot Food….. Fair on fatties?’ is closed to new replies.