Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • VAT for purchases within eu
  • cabbage84
    Free Member

Hi all this may sound a stupid question but do you pay VAT on purchases made within the eu. The reason I ask is that after reading many threads about canyon bikes im very tempted by one. On there website it says you pay german vat when shipping within eu so does that mean you dont pay uk vat. I know you pay customs on non eu countries after making purchases from the states and asia but I know in airports the tax is already on items now when travelling eu to eu.

MSP

I believe you are meant to pay vat to the country of the purchaser, but it depends on the size of the company and their ability to deal with different tax regimes. CRC and wiggle both change their prices for different vat rates depending on where the purchaser is based.

But that’s the suppliers problem, you don’t have to pay any additional vat for purchases within the eu.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, you can pay VAT anywhere in Europe, but you only have to pay it once. Which is why play, amazon are registered in the channel islands wehre VAT is 0%, ebay IIRC is in Luxemburg which is 15%.

MSP

Channel islands are different, you actually have to pay vat on anything above a certain amount around 20 quid iirc. Which is why play will often despatch in separate packages for one order.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – Channel Islands aren’t part of the EU, hence different rules apply. EU rules mean that any state within the EU has to charge at least a minimum rate (15%?)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘VAT for purchases within eu’ is closed to new replies.