• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ajc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • VAT for claiming expenses
  • cb

Anyone have a clue about this? I have a receipt for drinks – some coffees, some soft drinks. Bill is broken down into food and beverage even though all are ‘beverages’! Do I include VAT on the food element and not on the beverages?

I also have another receipt that breaks down stuff into wet and dry! VAT on the dry but not the wet?

I’ve looked on HMRC but am still confused!

br
    Free Member

Own company or employee of one?

cb

own company

lesgrandepotato

Flat rate scheme? Might be worth it unless turnover is too high?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just claim on the lot – it’s not a large enough amount that the VAT man will even query it.

Flat rate is a nightmare – especially if you are on a cash accounting with clients.

br
    Free Member

Own company?

We’re on the FRS ourselves, while the rate isn’t as good as it was it saves worrying/calculating anything to do with VAT. Plus if anything goes on the accounts ‘wrong’, you ain’t defrauding the VATMan 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Flat rate is a nightmare

Flat rate is a dream come true for all the contractors on here, they collect more VAT than they pay. Like getting a commission from the VAT man 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

1. Personally I’d get an accountant if you’ve got your own company and VAT is a mystery 😉

2. Yes, Flat Rate Scheme is what you want to get on if you’re a small enough business, *if* you want to be VAT registered (or if your turnover is over £81k and then you have to).

FRS is much easier as you don’t have to claim VAT back on each purchase, plus you might be able profit a little depending on how much you sell and spend (due to difference in the VAT rate you pay vs the VAT you charge on sales).

In terms of claiming expenses, I assume you’ve paid personally and want to claim back from your company. In which case you as an individual just claim the full amount, VAT and all, from your company. If the company is VAT registered then the company can also claim the VAT back from HMRC, but not if it’s on the FRS. If not VAT registered then the company can’t claim anything, but then you don’t charge VAT on your sales and have to do a VAT return either.

Disclaimer: IANAA (I Am Not An Accountant) 😀

Also, I’m looking at it from a Ltd company point of view. If you’re a sole trader I’m not so sure.

cb

Thanks all, its more an issue of the individual elements within a bill that I had a query about rather than the need to go to the flat rate. Some receipts break them down, some don’t.

johndoh
    Free Member

In simple terms, if it is overnight you can claim, if not you can’t.

I usually bung the whole lot in irrespective of whether I am staying overnight or not.

br
    Free Member

Thanks all, its more an issue of the individual elements within a bill that I had a query about rather than the need to go to the flat rate. Some receipts break them down, some don’t.

The beauty of FRS is that you don’t care, just look at the gross.

ajc
    Free Member

If you are consultant/ contractor and don’t buy much you want frs. Did my quarterly return in about 10 mins today. All receipts just go in a box to be ignored.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘VAT for claiming expenses’ is closed to new replies.