• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vans shoes with flats…
  • blisterman1962
    Free Member

Anybody use them? Was wondering how they hold up on pins….other suggestions gratefully received…

Northwind

Vans vary a lot so there’s no one answer really… I’ve got a pair of Winters of some sort (Baxters?) which seemed like a good idea but have terrible grip. But my old pair (Bricks?) were absolutely superb- very flexy sole but fantastic grip and feel. The old dot sole was better than the waffle imo but that seems to be heresy.

honourablegeorge

Gee Atherton wasn’t that impressed in Cairns.

pk13

Hit and miss my half cabs where ace stiff soles loads of grip. I think the build quality has gone a bit. But I pick them up cheap and trash them. Still one of my favourite shoes

Squidlord
    Free Member

Yes. I like them. No idea what model Vans I’ve got, but they’re waffle-soled and stick nicely to my V8s.

Tom83

Etnies do some really nice bmx specific shoes, that I also use on the mtb.

chamley
    Free Member

I used to ride in vans half cabs and couldn’t fault them in the dry but we’re rubbish in the wet. I then tried some five tens and they were great in the wet and dry so I’ve never looked back. Still use my vans if it’s dry and I’m just going for a muck about.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

is there a sole older than the waffle – surely not – they must be bloody old – greater than 35 years as the Vans Tony Alva used to wear had waffle soles.

Northwind

Just called it old because it’s discontinued, rather than meaning it’s older than the waffle.

fenred
    Free Member

Prob not much help to your question OP but for MTB duties, fiveten or duffs offer a stiffer sole and better protected heel/toe box ime. Swore by vans 30 years ago whilst dropping into halfpipes on 4 little wheels, now protection seems all important 😀

funkmasterp

Had them for a year baseball boot style covered with pink elephants. They worked well with the superstar nanos. When Winter rolled around I genuinely thought my feet might fall off from the cold though.

Five tens are much better, just bloody expensive.

Northwind

I never saw the point of toe protection til I broke my toe 😆 (Stevo was very helpful in pointing out the difference between his impacts and my freeriders)

fenred
    Free Member

You lives n’ learns Northwind! 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

50% off the tevas from je james btw.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Anything with a waffle sole will not be stiff. Grippy but anything but stiff. And can curl my toes round my pedals in my vans they’re that soft. I’m currently riding a set of half cabs, era pros,, TNT 5s and some chucka lows all are fairly terrible for riding in really. But I refuse to buy new shoes when I have millions of half worn pairs just kicking about. I would be looking at 6.0s for longevity and grip.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Anything with a waffle sole will not be stiff. Grippy but anything but stiff. And can curl my toes round my pedals in my vans they’re that soft. I’m currently riding a set of half cabs, era pros,, TNT 5s and some chucka lows all are fairly terrible for riding in really. But I refuse to buy new shoes when I have millions of half worn pairs just kicking about. I would be looking at 6.0s for longevity and grip.

jam-bo

my vans gravels with the waffle sole were grippy and comfortable.

I was quite disappointed when they fell apart after about three weeks.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got some half-cabs that I use from time to time when my normal shoes are wet or I’ve hidden them from myself. I’d not want to ride on them all day as the soles are quite floppy compared to my Shimano shoes but they’re good for an hour or two.

I have some pretty good Nike SBs that seem like they’d be good riding shoes but they’re too new to test the theory in my local swamps.

core

I’m currently wearing these on the bike: http://etnies.com/shop/marana-8/grey-white/

Seem grippy enough with Wellgo MG-1’s, pretty stiff sole so no foot curling, comfortable, pretty light, I’m happy with them so far. I’m a size 11/12 by the way, so long feet to arch over the pedals.

Bonus is they can be worn for other stuff, unlike teva or 5:10…………..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vans shoes with flats…’ is closed to new replies.