Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Vans
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve had enough of using bike racks on cars. Tried boot racks and roof racks and never liked them. Now thinking of getting a van instead. I very rarely carry more than one passenger but carry a bike on a regular basis so thinking of moving from a car to a van. Anyone recommend any types of van that are good for carrying bikes ?
    Things I’m looking for:
    – enough space to fit 29er bikes
    – comfort & cruise control
    – fuel efficiency
    – reliability
    – vehicle height must not be higher than 2 metres

BoardinBob

I’ve recently bought a Fiat Doblo Cargo. Loving it so far. Bike fits in the back whole, 29er would fit too. I don’t have cruise control on mine but it is available. I went for it because

It drives like a car
    60mpg
    good spec list – bluetooth, stop/start, AC, electric everything
    Good space in the back

gatsby
    Free Member

I’ve got a Caddy Hi-Line… It’s got air-con, cruise control and blue teeth… Lovely to drive, swallows bikes which can be bungied against the side without removing wheels and it’s big enough to get changed in when it’s lashing down. Love it!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Why not just put the bike in the back of the car?

I can’t stand racks so always do that. I can get my large Solaris, both kids bikes and the kids in my Focus Estate. Alternatively I can get my Solaris or Stumpjumper in with only the front wheel off. Its much nicer than a van to drive, looks better and is easier to park. 2 blokes with bikes and full kit for a weekend of DH and trail riding (DH tyres, FF helmets, pads and lots of tools) fits in with plenty of room to spare.

tthew

Something Transit Connect/Berlingo/Kangoo size will do that job. The next size up Pug Expert is just under the 2m height and a fair bit bigger. Cruise control might be a bit tricky, not sure that’s a common option.

How much do you want to spend?

core

Also bare in mind tolls and parking, speed limits etc.

ads678

What about a platform tow bar rack or an estate car with bikes in the boot?

StuE
    Free Member

You didn’t mention what you budget is,I drove one of the new Transit connects for 6 months or so and very nice they are too.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/transit-connect

breadcrumb

I thought of getting a van. It looks like it can be tricky moving any ncb back to a car, coupled with lower speed limits put me off.

I went with a big estate instead. Older shape Accord swallows a 29er with both wheels on.

ton

recently bought a berlingo van for the same reasons. 1.9 diesel.
    runs on the fumes i think. fit 4 bikes in the back with front wheels off.
    dirt cheap to insure.

brilliant for bike duties.

P20

We bought a vivaro. After years of owning estate cars, it’s so much easier especially when camping. Yes it’s got lower speed limits than a Caddy Max but can’t say I’m that bothered. 2.0ltr 115 swb, gets between 34-39mpg. Has aircon which was the main reason I didn’t go for a transporter as I couldn’t afford the VW

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Brought a VW Caddy last year, Brilliant for the bike.
    No need to remove wheel.

Wouldnt want a car now

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Budget is key.Also if buy very new you will have to pay vat on top of price.Had a Vivaro for 9 years great van.Just remember there is a lot of crap vans around take your time in looking.If you buy from fleet owned BT/RAC/AA are good vans.Dont touch delivery vans 😉

cumberlandsausage
    Free Member

berlingo diesel. cheap to buy, economical, and with the double rear seat removed (6 torx) I can fit myself and 2 adult passengers with 5 bikes (front wheels removed)

On my own I can fit my bmx, 4x bike and DH bike in with their wheels on.

And its ugly, so nobody will steal it.

Rscott
    Free Member

If you buy a ex RAC/AA van make sure to check the suspension as they carry a lot of weight and tow reasonably large weights regularly, ind one with a new altinator,starter motor and new belts, they sit ideling over for hours at a time and and are turned on and off a lot. Even though there clocks may say they’ve done 80’00- they may have had the stress and wear of a 200,000 mile engine.

on the other hand you may get a minter.

pirahna
    Free Member

I picked up my Caddy yesterday. I’d borrowed one from the dealer to make sure everything for a 2 week camping holiday and a pair of 29ers would fit. With the front wheels out it’s no problem. Bolted in a pair of Seasucker fork mounts yesterday evening and it’s good to go. Both bikes fit with the wheels in but they’re on a diagonal, fine for a day trip and still plenty of room for kit.

jamesoz

P20, I thought the caddy has the same speed limits of a vivaro, in fact in my experience you’d have to be pretty unlucky to get a pull for doing car speeds in a van. It’s double price virtually to cross the bridge into Wales but other tolls are sensible. Really pisses me off in an astravan going to Wales.

mattbee

I once followed my boss into Wales, him in a 110 County paying car rate & me in a teeny tiny Pug Bippa van paying van rate…

grannyjone
    Free Member

Looking at buying second-hand with a budget of about £5000. Since the vans around that price will not be very new, I’m wondering how difficult it will be to find ones with cruise control.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Vans’ is closed to new replies.