Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Vancouver trip and travel to Kamloops
  • mtbmaff
    Free Member

Hi there,

My wife and myself are going to Vancouver in a couple of weeks, a very unexpected trip and a little spur of

the moment. [family reunion event]

Unfortunately this won’t be a biking trip this time, but I really could do with a bit of advice from you guys

on here regarding getting to Vancouver and then onto Kamloops.

The costs on-line seem to vary massively with the cheap prices advertised not actually being the real price

you pay. Any pointers on where to start or who to book with?

We live near Birmingham airport but flights from there seem to go via Amsterdam and some go to Toronto

then onto Vancouver, is this the pain it seems or is it relatively simple?

Or should I drive down to Heathrow and take a direct flight to Vancouver?

Then more importantly we need to get to Kamloops, what’s the best option? Car hire, train, internal flights

or coach? What’s the drive like? and I imagine there will be snow about maybe?

I haven’t been to Canada before and haven’t driven abroad for a few years so what do you suggest?

Also any recommendations on where to stay in Vancouver/Victoria and what to visit?

My email address is in my profile.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Ps any good bike shops to visit? and anybody want anything fetching back?

jools182
    Free Member

There was a budget airline that started up a few years ago flying to Canada, although a quick google seems to come up with nothing so I’m presuming they went bump in the recession
    When I was in Vancouver I took the Greyhound to Kamloops and it wasn’t bad at all, and the scenery made the journey quite enjoyable. Not sure if there are any train services running between the two places though.
    I’ve not been much help there have I?

freeridenick
    Free Member

http://www.canadianaffair.com cheap flights to Vancouver

Its not a bad drive over the Coquihalla Pass – the roads are generally well plowed etc. Its a high pass with a toll booth.

I did it many time in my trusty Subaru Justy when I used to live in Vancouver.

Pigface
    Free Member

I flew Canadian Affair last September and it was as cheap as chips but a rotten flight, no real complaints as you get what you pay for. Take your own food and drink and expect Ryan Air type service. Seats were tiny as well. For some reason we stopped at Winnipeg and some fool got off as they thought it was Vancouver, we were stuck for 2 hours.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I went to Canada in July/August 2009, flew with Canadian Affair (Thomas Cook provided the aeroplane). Manchester – Calgary was about £350 per person, each way. I think they do Manchester to Vancouver as well.

We stayed in Canmore for a week, then 2 days in Calgary, then drove over to Vancouver via Kamloops, then back for the return flight, so this is kind of relevant.
    Kamloops from Vancouver is about half a day’s drive through some fantastic scenery on Highway 1. The heat in Kamloops is surprising – it was 38deg when we got there at about 6pm. We stayed in a hotel in the middle of downtown – can’t remember the name just now <edit> I think it was the Plaza Heritage </edit> but it was opposite a MTB shop: a coincidence, honest!
    In Vancouver we stayed at The Listel on Robson Street, in the heart of Downtown, and a short walk from both the waterfront and Stanley Park. Recommended, but not especially cheap.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhooper_drum/sets/72157621868287748/

Oh, and Kamloops is on the railway line east from Vancouver so train is an option, if you don’t mind slow. Driving through the Rockies might not be a good option at this time of year…
    hope that helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Vancouver trip and travel to Kamloops’ is closed to new replies.