Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Van thing or people carrier?
  • matt_outandabout

So the OAB_Touran is getting on, and had another bill this week on it. While it is still worth a few quid, we are thinking of changing. Choice with 3 growing boys is people carrier or van thing.
    Show me your family wagons, that carry bikes – and experiences of them…

druidh
    Free Member

Having been through the people carrier thing, I can honestly say that getting the van was the best decision ever and I can only kick myself that we didn’t do so sooner.

I’ve got a converted Trafic LWB. 3 removable seats in the back (2+1), all lined, insulated and carpeted now too. I like the flexibility of that arrangement over the crew cab variant which I’ve also tried.

I get 40+mpg. It drives really well and is quiet now the insulation is complete. Roof bars take a couple of kayaks, back will take 6 bikes or a mix of bikes and other stuff.

I don’t have any decent photos at the moment. I must take some.

matt_outandabout

That is what I was suspecting…wee Tranists at work seem good for such a conversion, and a mate has a LWB vito that would also make good conversion…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a c-max, usually have the seats out and use it for carting bikes, surfboards etc round so you’d probably want something bigger unless you want a boot/roof rack.

Bought as despite peoples protestations otherwise a van is a van, the most car like van in the world is still noisy, doesn’t go round corners, does less mpg and generally weren’t places I wanted to spend 5 hour drives in.

druidh
    Free Member

Matt – if I’m going to be up your way, I’ll try to pop by so you can have a nose.

mattbee

Interesting to hear about the Trafic, been thinking of replacing my discovery with a swb, tracking in back with removable r&r bed/seat, kitchen unit etc. Your mpg surprises me, which engine?

geoffj

Depends what you want the van for. You’ll struggle to sleep 5 in even a LWB high top conversion. If you just want the extra gear lugging capacity then a Traffic Crew cab (6 seater) would provide it.
    Having had a home brew camper conversion (LWB high top Ducato) which I occasionally had to use for commuting to airport and train station, I’d say that if you are going to get a van, smaller is better.

Hyundai i800s look very nice.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

this is going to be our next family vehicle, we currently have a Renault Grand Scenic which is fab, 7 seats, size of a mini van, hauls kids, dogs, bikes, loads of crap etc. OK it’s not the best driving etc and bits fall off it but it’s going strong so far.

So once the kids get bigger the van idea really appeals as they’re stuff gets bigger too etc.

alternative to the VW really appeals but they are tempting but the price puts me off

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I could get a 20″MTB in the boot of a Multipla with both wheels off and all seats in place. With the three back seats out, and still three seats up front, you could get all sorts in.

matt_outandabout

Not needing to sleep. Just trying to accommodate 3 growing boys, and our family penchant for canoes and bikes (x5)…
    In an ideal world it might be a minibus we can take out a row of seats and add back in the few times a year that inlaws arrive. The Transits at work it is a (bigger) job (still only 6 bolts), but the coach built Citroen community bus it takes me about 30seconds a seat…

druidh
    Free Member

Paulsoxo – we had a Multipla too, but Matt has a wife and three boys to consider.

mattbee – it’s a 2010 2.0dci

On length, I reckon the LWB is well worth it. It doesn’t feel any more “difficult” to drive than the SWB. Mind you, I’m rarely in town with it, so I never find parking etc a problem.

jruk
    Free Member

Based on zero direct experience I can only offer the following:

…blokes driving people carriers tend to look bloody miserable
    …blokes driving converted vans tend to look like they’re having fun

That is all.

SaxonRider

I’m on my second VW T4, and wouldn’t want to drive much else to be honest. 1st one was SWB and the one I currently have is LWB, and both get excellent mileage for size and have cost me very little to maintain.

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

T5 Kombi van!

I bought one last year, and I can honestly say that it’s my favourite vehicle out of all the ones I’ve ever owned. It’s a 5-seater, but the three seats in the rear are full size (ie the person in the middle doesn’t get squashed) and you can remove them if you want a full load space. Even with the SWB version, I’ve had 5 bikes in the rear (although that didn’t leave any more space), or you can use a rack and have loads of room in the boot.

It does drive like a van, rather than a car, but that doesn’t bother me. 105 BHP engine gives just under 40mpg overall.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bought as despite peoples protestations otherwise a van is a van, the most car like van in the world is still noisy, doesn’t go round corners, does less mpg and generally weren’t places I wanted to spend 5 hour drives in.

Ah funny…

Vans go go round corners – if not there would be more holes in walls. They are not race cars but are not that bad.

They can be noisy but bulkheads and lining helps

Some decent MPG’s to be had for the size.

Way more comfortable to drive than a lot of cars when you get used to the position. Not as many creature comforts as a car though.

Mugboo

I use an 03 T4 with a removable bench seat in the back.

One thing to think about though is that friends with cars do notice how noisy it is. Lots of squeaks and rattles compared with a quality car. They don’t mind throwing their bikes and gear in the back and letting me drive though.

On the plus side, I reckon it pays for itself every year in money saved. We are a ‘careful’ family and don’t mind second hand stuff. The van means we can buy stuff cheap and pick it up.
    Last year we got £450 worth of wardrobes for nowt because someone needed rid sharpish.
    This year a leather suite (£5000) for £36 off eBay.

We can collect our own firewood and it makes trips to builders merchants a doddle.

mattbee

My recent car history has included 3 different types of Landrover so my expectations noise and economy wise are probably a little different to those of someone coming from ‘car’ ownership…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

No direct experience – but when I was looking into alps vehicles this summer I quickly realised that people carriers are cheaper to insure and take on the ferry than vans. what you’s spend on converting a van could probably be better spent getting decent bike and kayak racks for a good sized MPV.

Oh you can take people carriers to the tip too 🙂

br
    Free Member

Only thought is, haven’t you more restricted speed limits on certain vans?

bigblackshed

b r – Member
    Only thought is, haven’t you more restricted speed limits on certain vans?

What 60 on A roads and 70 on motorways? 😉

Dons foil helmet and prepares for flame wars! 😉

takisawa2

Always liked the VW transporters, especially the latest one, but they seem to be becoming popular with the self employed tradesman round here; replacing the ubiquitous crew cab pick-up as the tools tool of choice. Shame.

We have a Galaxy that fits the bill for us, carries loads of kids, bikes, bedroom suites, tows the caravan etc.
    If I look miserable driving it its because I’m a miserable git anyway. 🙂

Big-Dave
    Free Member

What 60 on A roads and 70 on motorways?

Dons foil helmet and prepares for flame wars!

No quite: 50 mph on single carriageway A roads, 60 mph on dual carriageways and 70 mph on the motorway. The police in my area are very hot on nicking van drivers who do 60 on single carriageway roads which is why I bought a car variant of a Fiat van. Just as practical, cheaper tax, cheaper insurance and less restriction on the speed I can travel at.

Tiboy

Not sure where you are, but we had an espace rather than a van when we lived in bristol as the M4 bridge toll was double in a van, which added up when we were crossing every weekend! and it had loads of built in tie-down point where the seats mounted, and the build in blinds meant it was nigh impossible to look in from more than a metre away

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No direct experience – but when I was looking into alps vehicles this summer I quickly realised that people carriers are cheaper to insure and take on the ferry than vans. what you’s spend on converting a van could probably be better spent getting decent bike and kayak racks for a good sized MPV.

Oh you can take people carriers to the tip too

Van insurance cheaper than car insurance for me
    Same price on the ferry or tunnel
    Conversion was done as DIY paid for in savings on B+B
    Permit to go to the tip

quite easy and I have right of way on narrow roads 🙂

jonahtonto
    Free Member

“Not sure where you are, but we had an espace rather than a van when we lived in bristol as the M4 bridge toll was double in a van, which added up when we were crossing every weekend!”

you only have to pay for a car if its a camper…..and its free if you live in your vehicle 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

We’ve got a VW T5 Multivan which seats 7 so we can take the whole family plus one friend (we have 4 kids). It will also take a pram/chariot and 5 bikes on the rear bike rack. We like ours so much we are getting a new one later in the year. One piece of advice I would give is to get one with front and rear parking sensors.

bigblackshed

Big Dave – Member
    What 60 on A roads and 70 on motorways?
    Dons foil helmet and prepares for flame wars!
    No quite: 50 mph on single carriageway A roads, 60 mph on dual carriageways and 70 mph on the motorway.

I stand corrected. Not sure if white van knows though.

M4 Servern Bridge is £6 for cars, campers, vans with windows & seats, £12 for panel vans etc. No logic. My motorhome was twice the size of the van in front but half the price.

geoffj
    druidh
    Free Member

The discussion on this thread is primarily in response to the OPs desire for a “van with windows”, so the increased toll & ferry charges applicable to (mostly) commercial vans is irrelevant.

IME, ferry bookings do need a bit of a discussion with the operator so they appreciate it’s a privately-owned vehicle. On the IoM Steam Packet, I had to sign a declaration to that effect. CalMac seem to take you at your word.

pedalhead
    Free Member

T5 with 2+1 seats in the back here. Wish I’d got one years ago. Brilliant for family, brilliant for biking, brilliant for lugging stuff around when required.

Tiboy

fair enough, I stand corrected, do know that you have to have a plumbed in sink for them to classify it as a camper as I had a long conversation with the operators on the subject, which is why we went espace to save arguments. Also had a pickup for a while, which even though it was a personal vehicle we had to pay double for the toll.

matt_outandabout

T4/T5 – great, but soooo overpriced and not as reliable as ‘promised’ it seems… and the Touran has put me off VW cost and (lack) of quality.

LWB Vito/Traffic/Vivaro/Primastar/MWB Transit all seem as reliable, but at much less cost.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Van thing or people carrier?’ is closed to new replies.