• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Van soundproofing – best approach?
  • legend
    Free Member

So I got the van a few weeks back, all’s good but making it a bit quieter on the m-way would be good!

It’s ply lined at the moment which is handing, but has anyone tried sound proof behind the ply on theirs?

I reckon I’ve got two options. 1) I should be able to get good, high density, foam on the cheap. So could take the ply off, cut the foam to shape, stick it on and put the ply on top.

Or 2) Being a Caddy it’s got a half solid, half mesh bulkhead. So I was wondering if putting some clear plastic (acrylic or whatever I can get my hands on) over the mesh might be a very simple solution of stopping noise getting into the cab?

Anyone care to share their views, experiences or opinions on this?

Cheers,
    Mark

Junkyard
    Free Member

turn stereo up to 11?
    if it is just road noise seems a lot of hassle for limited result. IME most noise transmission is vibration so it wont make as much difference as you hope tbh.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If it’s road noise I suspect most of it comes from windows/door gaps and the floorpan. My brother ply and insulation lined his old van but by far the biggest difference was from putting household underlay and carpet down in the back. And turning he stereo up.

spooky_b329

When I bought my van and drove it back from the dealers I was shocked at how quiet and refined it was. Ripped out the bulkhead for my camper conversion and it turned into the noisiest, squeakiest and rattly thing I’ve ever driven, honestly, the radio was useless over 40mph or at any speed if the road wasn’t as smooth as glass.

So definitely block the bulkhead grill, or watch ebay for a solid bulkhead. Or, remove ply, add sticky sound deadening pads to the panels and replace ply. I would cover the whole floor in the back with heavy rubber underlay or sound deadening material, and pay particular attention to the rear wheel arches. Lift the cab carpet and use it in the front too, particularly the firewall/engine bulkhead, front wheel arches, transmission tunnel etc.

I drive a mk.7 transit at work and its significantly quieter than the older mk.6. The only difference I can see is the rubber floor matting in the newer model is much thicker with much more insulation under it.

CountZero

Rather than foam behind the panelling, how about loft insulation with the silver foil coating? Much easier to manage than foam and a bit lighter, not that that would be an issue, but certainly cutting it and sticking it in place with spray adhesive should be a lot easier.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I read on the T4 forum to use re-cycled plastic loft insulation (not the itchy glass stuff).

molgrips
    Free Member

Most noise comes from panels resonating from road vibrations. Adding actual soundproofing foam doesn’t stop this at all. What you want is Dynamat or similar. It’s heavy rubber self adhesive sheeting that you stick on the panels.

Expensive, but I think there are alternatives once you figure out how it works.

You want to put it on the biggest panels for greatest effect. So the sides and the roof, then the floor of the van I suppose. In a car I’d do door-skins then roof.

totalshell

Bulkhead.. my caddy is like driving a car..

legend
    Free Member

did you just blank up the normal bulkhead or replace it with one of these?

there’s certainly noise coming from the side doors (it’s got the option second one) but you can here the noise coming from the wheel arches too. Molgrips, does the dynaat work that much better though? Not really concerned with how the noise is generated, would just like it toned down a bit

robbo1234biking

Expanding foam filler in behind the ply lining will help – a lot of noise comes up from the road from the side panels at the bottom and around the wheel arches so if you get that behind the ply then it will help. ITs not very reversible though

gravity-slave
    Free Member

You want to take a few approaches…

Stop panels vibrating by adding mass and damping, wad to stop sound transmission and then carpet to adsorb reflected noise. Good thread here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1323091-version-vito-has-least-cab-noise.html#post2404726

My current van is treated like that and it’s very good – if you want something a notch up from flashing tape at a fraction of the cost of dynamat,have a look at this stuff (also in single sheets)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-mat-bulk-pack.html

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Dynamat and Stinger roadkill are excellent sound deadening.Quite expensive but its the best you can get.
    Damplifier pro and Vibe Antivibe work well.

Have fitted plenty of it.I used to fit Car audio and always sound deadened all door skins boots floors and tailgates/doors.

There are also some liquid style ones that paint on,havent used any of these.will be good for weird shaped panel or dificult to reach places

PePPeR

I’d agree with getting a full bulkhead sorted out.

It will stop the majority of the noise. then I’d use something like dynamat to help with any other noises. (it’s very expensive)

legend
    Free Member

just found this…. proper envy:

http://www.vwcaddy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9001&d=1256827794

apparently he got it for €30 cause it had a scratch or two, the retail is more like €300.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips, does the dynaat work that much better though? Not really concerned with how the noise is generated, would just like it toned down a bit

Better to stop it being generated in the first place then to have to work to block it once it has been, imo. I’ve never actually tried this mind, I just read up on it a while back.

I also found a great site that sold stuff better than dynamat for some industrial application and it was really cheap. But it was dead hard to find and now I have lost it. 🙂

I spent some time thinking about how to upgrade my stereo then realised it was stupid to try and blast your music over the noise – much better to remove the noise to begin with.

carlphillips
    Free Member

😯

t-p26
    Free Member

Bulkhead……keeps all the rear noise in the rear. You will find that is where most of the unwanted sound comes from.

spooky_b329

Don’t use expanding foam (the canned variety) it is hugely messy, goes up like a very flammable thing in a fire, absorbs condensation, and turns to dust leaving a mess behind the ply lining.

You can foam the van using two part foam that comes in small gas cylinders with an applicator gun, this is none-absorbent, easy to work with and fire resistant, but its £400 for a kit, and is way overkill unless you are doing a camper conversion. Its more for temperature insulation than noise deadening, although it did make a difference in my van.

myheadsashed

search online for a book called ‘Travel Vans’ by John Speed lots of really good info on conversions 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

mines got what looks like foil coated bubble wrap a ply and then carpet nice and quiet as well as being warm/cool.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Van soundproofing – best approach?’ is closed to new replies.