Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Van MOT question
  • spev

Ive got a scudo van which came with 5 seats in the back, if i take it for an mot do I have to refit the (currently in storage) seats?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Never been a problem for me. One of my rear seats has not been in for the last three MOT tests.

v8ninety

I would say, no.

Disclaimer; I may be wrong, but I think this falls into the ‘if it’s not present, it can’t be tested’ category.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There is no reason to fit em it cant fail for them missing

Are the seatbelts out ?

Seen folk take seats and belts out on discos to get a rotten boot floor through an mot.

Belts have to be out an all though.

spev

Belts are attached to the seats so no worries there

trail_rat
    Free Member

At worst if there is evidence of rear seats previously being fitted it might say ” rear seats not present so not tested”

Might have implications for insurance if you put em back at a later date . Why dont you want to fit em ?

spev

It’s a bit of a pain as they are in storage, I’ll get them and fit them though as I may want to use em in the summer

johndoh
    Free Member

Probably very different but last two MOTs our car had there were child seats in the back so they marked ‘rear seatbelts not tested as not accessible’ so I assume there is lots of leeway and flexibility.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

There are a lot of new amendments to the MOT’s this month so I would assume only an MOT tester can answer this unless we have more weirdos on this forum than I thought 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I think this falls into the ‘if it’s not present, it can’t be tested’ category.

I just had my car done, on the report it says that some stuff couldn’t be tested because it was obscured by the undertray, and they aren’t allowed to remove the undertray

😯

Next time I’ll just fit covers over everything and it’ll sail through.

stavromuller
    Free Member

My Vito passed in Feb and I took the twin passenger seat out and replaced it with a single seat from a Rover two years ago, just sayin’

nickjb
    Free Member

Ours went through this week without the middle seats. They’re fine, just very heavy.

nasher
    Free Member

i regulary get my 9 seater vans tested without the back row.. no problems

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Just done my T5 none of the rear seats are in, I can put them back if I need to the only part in the test would be seat belt anchorages solid no rust etc.

maccruiskeen

Next time I’ll just fit covers over everything and it’ll sail through.

tomaso
    Free Member

Rear seats don’t even need seatbelts in vans – there is no regulation covering this…unless its a minibus but panel or camper vans are ok

6. Seats in goods vehicles
    Seats fitted to the rear of the driver’s compartment in a goods vehicle are not required to be fitted with seat belts unless the seat is the specified front passenger seat (see note 7).

mot uk

Drac

Rear seats don’t even need seatbelts in vans – there is no regulation covering this…unless its a minibus but panel or camper vans are ok

Except you forgot to read this bit.

5. Goods vehicle conversion
    A goods vehicle which has been converted to a passenger vehicle specification (i.e. fitted with rear seats and side windows etc.) must comply with the relevant “passenger vehicle” requirements.

konabunny
    Free Member

There are a lot of new amendments to the MOT’s this month so I would assume only an MOT tester can answer this unless we have more weirdos on this forum than I thought

The geezer with the amazing Sprinter camper on here is an mot tester iirc.

somafunk

Ive got a scudo van which came with 5 seats in the back, if i take it for an mot do I have to refit the (currently in storage) seats?

Definitive answer? = No.

I don’t have rear seats in my old Golf coz my bike and stuff takes up that space but the seatbelts are still there on the rear suspension turrets, passed it mot two days ago. (i used to be an MOT tester btw)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Van MOT question’ is closed to new replies.