Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Van making funny noise
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Peugeot partner

Front spring snapped recently so i replaced em and the arb links as they were shagged

This was about 500 miles ago.

Jumped in today an was movin it at low speed around the drive to do stuff and noticed a noise from the front left when turning hard left. It sounds like a spring sound binding up as oppose to a banging cv.

Cant see owt obviously wrong , even when watching the spring and someone else turns wheel as i was thinking siezed strutt top .

My other dreaded one is that its the steering rack dying 🙁

Any more ideas before i go to a garage

mrlugz
    Free Member

My traffic made a similar noise. On mine there are bearings in the top mounts of the struts that rotate within a big rubber bush. The bearings had collapsed and the rubber was winding the springs up.

Maybe something similar?

SamCooke
    Free Member

Funny peculiar or funny ha ha?

trail_rat
    Free Member

50 quid each for the bearings on mine 🙁

Looked fine when i did the spring how ever due to a road hog i did hit a big pothole going between corgarff and dinnet that may have killed it. Ill take a gander – typical its a whole strutt job off to find even have a gander

stuartie_c
    Free Member

My car did something similar recently.

Strut-mount bearings, as above.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Got mine off eBay. Weren’t that much mind.

bedmaker

Strut bearing.

TWANG!! Must do mine…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My Berlingo has started to make a funny noise from the off-side front. There is a clunk as I apply the brakes in reverse. It is not felt through the pedal. There is sometimes a clunk as I apply the brakes going forwards, although this is less common.

I think the pad is maybe shifting in the caliper slightly when I apply the brakes. Likely?

BrickMan

+1 could be strut top mount. they are normally pretty cheap (£8-20 each) and you can do one yourself in under an hour, just need spring compressors (don’t buy cheap ones!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok have been on holidays and all sorts so van hasnt turned a wheel

need to do the rear wheel cylinders atm as well so just ordering up

any reason to change the strutt top mount – do these get damaged regular or is it likely just to need the bearing – euro car parts sells both – the top mount inc bearing is 55 quid and the bearing alone is 13 quid.

i had it out when i changed the spring but as you cannot see the other side without removing it i do not know if it has been damaged or not.

brickman – if you can change these bearings in an hour a side ill eat my hat – notoriously difficult to get the front suspension off em , you cant use conventional spring compressors as the arch liner does not permit. My mechanic buddy did give me some tips and tricks on how to remove em without dumping all your gear box oil over the drive as per haynes manual instructions

andylakes

The front springs on the Mk 2 Berlingo are a known fault. There was a recall on some of them. Had both of mine replaced ages ago as they failed. Not immediately obvious as the fracture was at the top of the spring. Got pattern parts fitted and been fine since.
    Andylakes

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye i ken that andy – mines went at the bottom – lucky it didnt go for the tire

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Van making funny noise’ is closed to new replies.