Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Van hire for roadtrip
  • jonbnorman
    Free Member

Hello,

Looking to hire a van for a roadtrip in Scotland over the summer. Just two of us so probably something like a VW Caddy. Hire will be for a week, picking up in Bath if that matters. Anyone got experience of anyone particularly good or bad?

Cheers

jambalaya
    Free Member

Caddy not the largest, Caddy Max better. Depends what you’ve got in mind gear wise,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That was a standard Caddy, back was long enough to lie down in, mountain bike needed the front wheel off to pack well. Drove fine but I’d reckon on a bit more space for a longer trip. Depends on what you want to take with you and where you are planning on staying.
    Invest in some bungee cords and straps along with something to put between bikes to hold them down when driving.

tomd
    Free Member

It might be worth just getting a full on tranny type van. There’s normally very little in it cost wise, most hire places seem to rent Kangoos or Berlingos which aren’t great. It’ll be big enough for all the kit, mobile changing room, midge hide-away and shelter all in one. Standard transit still fits in supermarket car spaces, costs the same as a car on ferry etc. Fuel is a bit more.

eskay

Try Heritage Vw garage in Bristol, they have a hire department. I rented a transporter off of them a couple of months ago. They were really helpful.

senorj

Try Enterprise – they do surprisingly cheap 3 day/week deals on transit style vans…or at least they did in January when I hired one.
    It was a Vauxhall van – very good to drive. Not as cool a a vw though. 😉

maccruiskeen

It might be worth just getting a full on tranny type van. There’s normally very little in it cost wise

A little more hire cost but quite a lot more fuel cost covering the milage from Bath to Scotland

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A little more hire cost but quite a lot more fuel cost covering the milage from Bath to Scotland

Probably the differece between 35 mpg and maybe 55ish depending on your right foot. As above the caddy felt full for one and that wasn’t packing much

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Van hire for roadtrip’ is closed to new replies.