Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Van help – my stealth camper is being more stealthy
  • sazter

Hi all,

The speedo on my transit connect is being a PITA. It stopped working and acted as a clock, ticking by until it reached the end of the dial. If I start up in test mode the speed shows up in the clock, so the speedo sensor is working, just the dial not playing ball. Over the last 2 months it works about 50% of the time, anyone have a clue why this might be, intermittent so a bit loathe to change the whole panel at £65 + for one wee faulty arm.

IF I need to change the console, does anyone know if the data, mileage etc is stored on the van or the console, do I need to program the new one etc? I took it out and the engine starts without it, so the immobiliser is not part of the console.

I am happy to get my hands dirty, but no idea what to do here…

Sarah

dazz
    Free Member

The data should be stored in the van, when my speedo stopped working I just used the speedo on my sat nav/phone 🙂

sazter

Cheers daz that’s wgat I’ve been doing but need it fixed by mot time!

dazz
    Free Member

the mot tester wont know it’s not working 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not sure the mileage would be stored on the ECU, it certainly never has been in my experience. You could get it corrected in a “new” one if you wanted or just keep a note of the difference (not sure how this affects the MOT record)

Inoperative speedo is indeed an MOT fail:

Speedometer

The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

parkesie
    Free Member

Only a fail if speedo is obviously not working and since the method of test does not include taking the van for a drive down the road it should pass. If the needle had fell off sure its a fail. Broken glass is only a fail if it is obscuring the read out or insecure and likely to fall out.

sazter

Cheers for the advice, going to ask my local garage how much it would be to program one to match the old one then. Hopefully get it sorted by MOT time, but won’t stress if it is not!

teethgrinder

Rover 75 has the dials unit matched to one of the electronic boxes of gubbins – for the lights, I think – and must be programmed if changed. This puts the correct mileage onto the new dials.

sazter

Thanks teethgrinder, will ask the garage for an estimate

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Van help – my stealth camper is being more stealthy’ is closed to new replies.