Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Van conversion project. 2.2 Sprinter or 2.5 Crafter? fridge unit Yes or no?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Some time in the near future I’m going to be buying a Lwb hi-top van for business/ pleasure and everything in between. If i can’t get one with side windows I’ll put them in. I’m wanting to put a little seating area in behind the front seats and ppartly section off the rear storage area which will be used to carry tools workbenches 8×4 sheets etc. when working,bikes and kit when not. I know there have even a few very inciteful threads on here and I will re-read them when the time comes. A big question is reliability of sprinter or Crafter and whether or not to start with a refrigerated van as it’s already insulated. Id like to hear your thoughts or experiences.if it makes a difference im Looking at dropping 3 – 4k on the initial purchase so could be anything from ’07-12 depending on condition mileage etc..

colp

As far as I know, Merc make the chassis for both.
    Have a look at the various conversion kits on EBay, search “race van”

honourablegeorge

Aren’t the Crafter and Sprinter very closely related?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomaso
    Free Member

Problem with fridge vans is what they have carried and the giant compressor refrigeration unit above the cab, plumbing and power supply etc. And the thickness of the insulation is seriously over the top when space is at a premium.

tomaso
    Free Member

Sprinters and Crafters share the body and underpinnings but have different drivetrains, trim etc. VW vans are meant to be slightly more economical – whether or not this is with the fuel or the truth is hard to say now!

I had a 2002 Sprinter and it was mostly reliable. They are quite solid vehicles that take some hammer. Finding one thats not been bashed up kerbs doing multidrop deliveries is the secret. Something that does long motorway trips would be ideal.

I’ve got an XLWB extra high roof Ducato 11 plate now and it is a much more modern drive and more economical.

zero-cool
    Free Member

the problem with spending £4K on a van (especially a Crafter/Sprinter which are expensive and basically the same van) is that for that price you’ll most likely either get something that’s high mileage and/or something that’s due to need everything serviced or replaced. Personally for one of those I would be expecting to pay more than twice that for a decent one and then you might still get one that’s about to have everything wear out.

Both good vans though.

Tom KP.

spooky_b329

I would be wary of a refrigerated van… The internal space will be compromised, you’ll have to remove insulation to fit seats, windows, risk of a fishy/off dairy smell if anything has leaked under the floor.

tymbian
    Free Member

I know the chassis are the same the question was more directed at the engines/ box etc..the insulation does seem about twice as thick as it needs to be. I hadn’t thought about the smell though.

RustyNissanPrairie

The older Crafter engine is plagued with Dpf issues -personally I’d avoid.
    Your budget will only buy you a rusty 300k miles 06/07 plate. A 12plate for that money will be knackered.
    Look at Iveco Daily for better value or massively increase your budget.

spooky_b329

Iveco Daily is definitely a contender if you are looking for a sprinter sized van. Expensive new but depreciate fast, the drive is not as refined but they are built tough.

I just bought a 2012 one, ultra-rare high spec with only 10,500 miles on it and perfect condition, took me 9 months to find but it has dropped £10,000 from new!

If you are prepared to take the ‘Agile’ robotised gearbox one there are a fair few around, mainly ex dealer demonstrators and end of line specials as the facelift came out in 2015. Downside is they can be a bit of a headache when they go wrong but if it really goes pear shaped, you can always get it converted to a manual.

My old camper was a 2005 Iveco Daily and had it for seven years, only one breakdown and it was fixed in 20 minutes by the AA. It was half the price of similar age vans.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Van conversion project. 2.2 Sprinter or 2.5 Crafter? fridge unit Yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.