Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Van buying advice please
  • jairaj

I thinking of building up a simple camper van and looking for some advice picking up a suitable van.

I know the normal answer is a VW but I think my needs are bit simpler than normal so hoping I can get away with something less expensive.

I’m looking for a very simple camper basically a metal tent with wheels. Some sort of beds in the back for two people and space to store bikes and gear, insulated walls to try and make winter nights comfortable. I intend to keep my every day car for normal duties so the van doesn’t need to drive well or be fast or have many features. Just needs to get me to the trails. I live in Hertfordshire so most interesting places to ride like South Wales, Peak District are about 3 to 4 hours drive. So as long as the van is comfortable for this kind of period I’m happy.

I guess the main question is what sort of budget do I need to put a side for the van?

I’m after something that’s new enough to be reliable and not need regular trips to the garage. Is £5000 the right sort of ball park or are they all going to rust buckets at this price point?

Any particular makes or models to avoid?

Any issues with insurance? It’ll be a commercial vehicle but not used for commercial use, will this matter?

Any other tips or pitfalls I should know about or avoid?

boxelder

The Vauxhall Vivaro/renault jobs are decent – friends have them. Aim for ACon if going abroad and tailgate rear door. May be more cost effective to get one that is converted/part converted, or at least lined and windowed. £5000 minimum I’d say.
    Something like this? this:

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m after something that’s new enough to be reliable and not need regular trips to the garage

This point is one to consider. Older vans tend to need less trips to the garage as the servicing is much simpler and there is generally less to go wrong. If you can get an older one that isn’t right at the end of its life it should be less hassle in the long run and owe you less if it does die.

Also worth considering what it is registered as and classed as. Can make a difference for tax and insurance as well as tolls if you plan to go on the M6 Toll or Severn bridge.

scotroutes

£5k will get you a decent Trafic/Vivaro.

Take your time and insulate it well. I followed Damions advice on this thread and it worked out pretty good. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/insulate-my-van

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dhPTZX]IMAG0146[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

I’m not a fan of the tailgate rear door.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

On a similar line of enquiry has anyone had any experience of using Merthyr Motor Auctions for buying a van? I’ve decided my Fiat Qubo has reached its limits as a joint private car/ work van and I need to replace it with a van. MMA seem to have a lot of attractive vans up for auction on a regular basis. Might be one for the OP to consider if they are near enough as well.

jairaj

Thanks for the tips so far guys. Only briefly read through the links, I’ll take a more detailed look later.

So seems like my budget is realistic and I should be able to get something in good condition.

Another question I have is, are van engines designed to last longer than car engines? Just trying to gauge what is high mileage and what is low mileage.

eg if car was regularly serviced I would not be too bothered if it had around 80k – 100k on the clock. I’d get worried at around 200k that it didn’t have many legs left. Is this figure similar for vans?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the engine generally wouldnt bother me on most vans.

how ever the bodywork (on transits/mercs especially) would and mechanical wear on the parts pending how its been used.

a long haul iveco used to haul stuff from doncaster to edinburgh with a high milage would worry me much less than a multi drop DPD van doing house drops round the city folks getting in and out every half hour stop start traffic etc etc ….

i reckon scotroutes is on the money – its where i would look first for 5k.

redstripe
    Free Member

Toyota hiace every time, post 2002 with d4d engine, 102 hp best ones for power/economy/insurance as a package but rarest

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m biased but I’d look at a late VW T4. They’re well known for being pretty bullet proof, loads of spares/upgrades/parts available, big online communities to help out/look for inspiration etc.

Insulation and lining can be done pretty easily and cheaply yourself. Loads of guides online on how to do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Van buying advice please’ is closed to new replies.