Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Van and bike rack electric problems..help
  • lastuphills
    Free Member

Just checking the bike rack (tow ball mounted Altera Strada) before going on hols and I have a problem with the electrics….When the bike rack elctrics are plugged in

RH side all lights work
    LH side only reversing light works…Van says check LH indicator light (it stops the van indicator working as well)

Tried bulbs, fuses etc…. dont know if its a problem with the bike rack or tow bar electrics. Who do I get to fix it if no one comes up with an easy fix Auto electrician or a tow bar fitter?

Marko

Quick fix/solution/isolation is to just buy a trailer lighting board and plug that in.

Before doing that though flush the socket and plug with WD or similar.

Are you on old school wiring with an adapter between the Van and the bike rack?

Hth
    Marko

lastuphills
    Free Member

the light board is my plan B if i cant get it sorted before the middle of next week.

nope no adapter between rack and tow bar electrics

ceept

First step is to plug the van into something else (trailer, lighting board, whatever) to see if it is the van, or bike rack that is the problem.

Then pull the relevant plug/socket apart and clean or if needbe, rewire it.

onehundredthidiot

7pin or 13pin? Can you use a circuit tester to see where the problem lies.

Ambrose

Have you used the rack with the vehicle successfully previously? Modern vehicles use multiplexed canbus wiring so require an adaptor, easily obtained from any decent motoring shop.

What vehicle?

Marko

I forgot to say, these will be your problem (maybe):

Evil things, loved by towbar fitters, hated by everyone else. Used to chop/splice into the vehicle wiring loom. If the fault is not in the bike rack it will be where the join is to the main loom. Unless of course somebody did the job properly or used the VM’s proper adapter kit.

lastuphills
    Free Member

oh what joy looks like its the van, job was apparently done properly with the right adapter kit but the ‘module’ looks to be faulty.

Dont know if we can get a new one in time……f ups holiday plans a bit all the sites in France we are booked in are miles from anywhere next to cycle tracks….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Van and bike rack electric problems..help’ is closed to new replies.