Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Valve core for tubeless tyres (possible bimbo content)
  • cinnamon_girl

I'm using the Stan's No Tubes system and every time I put air in a tyre, the valve core launches itself like a rocket and disappears into thin air.

So my question is should I use pliers to tighten it sufficiently, bearing in mind that I would need to carry them on the trail. Or is there something else I could do?

On the No Tubes website it says that no other valves should be used, is this true?

Thank you so much!

grumm
    Free Member

You can get a valve core remover tool. http://www.freeborn.co.uk/shop/components/tubeless-conversion-kits/702-stans-notubes-valve-core-remover

But once you've tightened it up once with the pliers it shouldn't come out when you put air in.

Shackleton

You can get a little widget that allows you to tighten them up but is small enough that you can't bu&&er the threads. Pliers sounds a bit drastic. I have a very tiny spanner that I use, looks like it came in a kinder egg.

core extractor

Although if the core shoots out it sounds like you haven't engaged the threads fully.

Conor
    Free Member

Go to your LBS, should be able to get one of those valve caps that doubles as a core tool. Mine cost 50p!!

something like this:

Plus you will always have it with you when on the bike!!!

righty
    Free Member

you can use any old presta valve cut from an old tube and use pliers to tighten it. just carry something you can undo it with in the unlikely event you need to put a tube in. I just unseat part of the tyre if i need to top up sealant.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I use a spare chain link to tighten/undo Stan's valves – the narrower bit fits just right.

I'm probably being dumb, but why would you want to take out the valve on the trail?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

That assumes we're talking about the Stan's style valve body with the flats on it – and not the actual core….

oldfart

CG I've got some spares of those that Conor showed a pic of .I'll bring one Sunday if you want .BTW Did you get my last e mail ?

cinnamon_girl

Thank you for your replies. It seems to be that when I remove the black plastic dust cap, it somehow unscrews the valve where you add air and thus unscrewing the core valve. Sounds absolutely silly I know!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Of course I'm such a bimbo that there should be no need to take pliers out with me on the trail.

I'm confused 😳

grumm
    Free Member

Sounds like the core just isn't tight enough to start with – if you tighten it up with plyers it shouldn't come out when you unscrew the dust cap. I've stopped bothering with the dust caps now though personally.

oldfart

CG if you use one of the aforementioned they tighten the valve core up thus stopping it coming undone accidently.I use to get metal ones when i bought Slime now they are plastic.

scaredypants

the pic above is for a schraeder valve isn't it? – CG's is presta, I imagine

you need to tighten it in fairly well, good thumb-tight (with pliers if necessary but don't go mad). Suppose it's possible you (or someone else?) have stripped the thread when using pliers in the past. If not, could always use WEAK threadlock on it if won't stay put.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You shouldn't be able to unscrew it with your fingers, so do it up a bit tighter than that with pliers or OF's tool and all should be well 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Yes, it's presta. The core valve seemed to need tightening at the rim end and a little bit of sealant dribbled out.

This has happened with a few of my wheels now so reckon that pliers are the way to go otherwise this will keep happening.

Thanks again for your help everyone 🙂

mudhound
    Free Member

They look a lot more fiddly than the old ones from JRA with a little plastic A shaped core remover that weighs hardly anything. New Mavic ones from JRA come with little plastic A. Got 3 sets of them and never had a problem and little plastic means you tighten up but not too much.

Best to ring Jon at JRA for advice on which valves are right and see if you can change as looks like a new valve needed anyways

mboy
    Free Member

C_G I have JUST the tool for you…

Remind me on Sunday (I'll bring it along) and I'll give it to you as I don't need it any more… You'll be amazed at how simple, yet effective it is, but it means you won't have to carry pliers around also!

cinnamon_girl

Thank you mboy!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Valve core for tubeless tyres (possible bimbo content)’ is closed to new replies.