Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • "Valuing" a strangers bike?
  • cookeaa

I was asked the other day when over at a friends house to estimate the value of his housemates bike, I gave it a brief once over and put amy own estimated round figure against it, He promptly told me that it’s owner reckoned it was worth 3-4 times what I stated and that my mate was very keen that it went in the shed rather than continuing to clutter up his garage…

It was a nice enough bike (I’ll not give details), not quite my bag and the setup was a little bit on the odd side with a few parts that were clearly gathered from a CRC clearance sale, but I’m worried that I’ve now helped build a case in my mates mind for some poor buggers pride and joy to be relegated to a drafty old shed and put at greater risk of theft…

Should I Up my estimate or having poured fuel on the fire step back and play no further part?

thepodge
    Free Member

He asked you, you answered. That’s it

It’s up to them to decide what they want to do with their stuff

cynic-al
    Free Member

Personally i’d be NGASing about this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chojin
    Free Member

There’s usually a chasm between what an owner thinks its worth and what it is actually (and subjectively) worth.
    Kind of like the difference between price paid and RRP.

*edit* but yeah, what Al said 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

seems you might have said how much you would expect the bike to fetch in a sale

the owner however values it quite differently, and its not for sale anyway.

tell your mate he would be morally responsible for its expensive replacement if its nicked after he insists its put in the shed.

cookeaa

I don’t think my estimate was a million miles out I’m just feeling a tad guilty about what it’s going to be used for, when I gave my guess I thought he may be looking at buying the bike from his housemate…

Seems like it’s actually being used as a stick to beat his housemate with in a long running dispute over “Who’s shit is more valuable and hence gets to live in the nice secure Garage”

He is a mate but he can be a proper Bastard and I know if I was his house mate I’d want it to stay in the Garage…

theboatman
    Free Member

I guess his housemate is going to think you are a dick if your mates quotes you. But is said housemate is not a mate of your wgas! Unless your mate is holding him prisoner then he could choose to live somewhere else.

rkk01
    Free Member

😳 thought this thread might have been similar to “valuing a friend’s girlfriend” 😳

cookeaa

Maybe I am doing the standard STW handwringing thing a bit.

I just know if the situation was reversed I’d not want some strangers “testimony” used to attack the value I had attached to my own bike(s).

I think more than anything it’s made me more wary of giving out similar estimates in future (I’ve been asked to value the odd bike by mates before seeing as I am a bit of a geek about such things)… its not a written estimate from an LBS but some people still set a lot of stock by a mates advice, I don’t know how comfortable I am with that…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘"Valuing" a strangers bike?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts