Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Value This Classic 1992 Graham Weigh (Thinly Veiled FOR SALE!!!)
  • Gee76
    Free Member

Evening all. Bit of a classic here for you tonight, said I’d do a bit of digging on behalf of my wife’s friends dad….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/w7fFLh]WP_20150717_16_30_39_Pro[/url] by grant evison-tuson, on Flickr

Basically he’s not got the space for this so is sadly going to part with it. It was made in 1992 for someone in the region of 5ft 8inches

As far as I could tell it is a Columbus steel frame with Cinelli lugs.
    It has a Campag 8spd x 2 Record (maybe!!) groupset with the very first Ergopower sti type shifters and campy headset too.
    Wheels are Campag hubs with Mavic MA2 Rims.
    Seating is courtesy of Campag seatpost and San Marco Rolls Saddle.
    Cockpit features bars and stem by Cinellli.

It has been looked after amazingly well and appears mint. Unfortunately I’ve no real experience of such a bike and imagine its probably best on retro bike but I thought I’d see on here what your thoughts are because your a friendly helpful bunch tha appreciates a great bike when you see it…. I hope….

scruff9252

£3.56 and a fun size bag of haribo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ckassic? Sorry, just old.

£180

Gee76
    Free Member

Are we sure, I did see the shifters alone go for £100 on one ebay auction (but then that is ebay).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice but old, £200

cynic-al
    Free Member

Split it then.

Gee76
    Free Member

Fair point tho think he won’t be too fussed about the faffage of a split. It was perhaps me thinking its worth more than it is.

Maybe it falls between a proper classic 70’s/80’s bike and a modern machine.

ransos
    Free Member

You’d be better off getting advice on retrobike.

Russell96

Was in the shop last week and they had a 1989(ish) Colnago mountain bike with a Campag MTB groupo. Unridden still in it’s original packaging, it had been made for a bike show and stored in the box ever since. They also had some other MTB classics of a similar condition including an early Raleigh Ti MTB and not one of those M trax bonded ones.

Gee76
    Free Member

I sort of fondly remember my Alpinestars Chro-mega E-stay which had Campag rims which were top rated at the time…. sadly the thing bucked me and I broke both arms on a steep descent once… never saw eye to eye with it after that!!!

tonyg2003

Graham Weigh wasn’t a particularly expensive brand back in the day (eg. MA2 were basic rims) or particularly collectable. Also if it’s Record, it will say Record on the groupset. I have some Record Ergo from the first type of Ergos and they clearly say Record on the front of the lever. I don’t think you would get too much for it unless you split it.

Gee76
    Free Member

Hmmm maybe off base on the groupset too then. Here’s a pic of the levers…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/w7AMFz]WP_20150717_16_31_20_Pro[/url] by grant evison-tuson, on Flickr

Anyone identify them?.

eskay

I agree with @tonyg2003, Graham Weigh was not a prestige brand, probably the equivalent of Planet X. They sold good value budget builds mainly through their heavy advertising in Cycling Weekly. MA2’s were the low/mid-range Mavic hoops.

Having said that it does look in very good condition!

I think the most cash would be realised if you split it.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

what makes you think it is columbus steel?

It’s nicely kitted out in general with some nice campy, so may be a higher end frame, the seatpost/saddle/stem/bar combo alone would probably make a bit. It looks to be in very good condition.

Dependent on what Columbus steel it is something like Cromor (low) to SLX (high) I’d pitch it between low £200 and high £375, but splitting will bring nearer the top end i’d think.

I paid £250 for a shimano 105 decked, rolls saddle and cinelli bar/stem, 1995 italian columbus aelle frame, with chrome bits in almost like new condition, that was a bargain in my book.

Edric64
    Free Member

8 speed campag cassettes are limited now its probably worth 200 quid tops

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That ain’t Record. Far from it in fact, it might be Athena if you’re lucky. Sorry but it’s not the gold mine you might have been expecting. It’s not a premium brand, with not the best kit on so I’d say £200 was about right.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a Ribble Tony Dolan bike from about the same year with MA2 rims and Campag.

My Campag was Mirage I think (I could go and look in the shed) and the ergo levers look identical. The brake calipers on that look slightly higher range, as does the crankset, but no way would I think it was Record.

The bad bit is that now it’s almost impossible to keep that bike going ie getting spares is near on impossible as I found out.

Wally

I had those Mirage ergo levers.

nairnster
    Free Member

Some hipster **** will pay £300 for that if you upsell it a bit as a classic to turn into a trendy fixie/ss.

kerley
    Free Member

Some hipster **** will pay £300 for that if you upsell it a bit as a classic to turn into a trendy fixie/ss

Maybe if it was 2010 they would…

Gee76
    Free Member

Morning Chaps (well good avo now!). I appreciate the comments.

The frame has columbus stamped on the dropouts but not clear what type it is and probably impossible to tell without a label. (Can upload dropout pics later whan I get to a wifi connection!)

In a sense its not really a disappointment to get the feedback, at least we can place it and try and sell it in realistic way. Really I was just trying to help out a friend to make sure he got what the bike was worth. He’s been so careful with it but I probably just got a bit over enthusiastic myself as it was in such a mint condition.

robdob
    Free Member

A friend of mine just sold a retro steel bike that wasn’t as nice as that for £230. I’d say £300 would be a good price, especially with the Campag on it which looks in very good condition.

LS
    Free Member

Columbus on the dropouts just means it has Columbus dropouts, not necessarily that the entire frame is Columbus steel!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Original paint job, why would anyone have removed a tubing sticker?

That said it’s unlikely to be gas pipe, but as above a columbus dropout means nothing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Value This Classic 1992 Graham Weigh (Thinly Veiled FOR SALE!!!)’ is closed to new replies.