Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Value 1×11 upgrade?
  • Andy_K

I’m looking at upgrading the 1×9 setup on the n+1 hardtail, and considering getting some 11 speed action as its trickled down the price categories now. I’ve already got a Hope 32t chainring on the front which I assume will still be suitable, so just need mech, shifter, cassette, and chain I guess?

Who has the best deals atm? I’m all Shimano, but might be pursuaded to give SRAM GX a go.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah that’s roughly what I paid but I picked the cheapest bits from Evans / CRC so I could get the shifter than mounted to my brakes.

Failing that 11sp SLX won’t be long, but because it’s new it might be one of those odd situations when M7000 Slx is more expensive than M8000 XT because M8050 pushes the price of M8000 down, or something, so many numbers…

Andy_K

looks decent SR, how come it’s “preorder”?

nickdavies

Shimano xt probably about the cheapest way of doing it atm, just shy of £150 should sort you but use a sram chain. Benefit of new xt is you can get it in ispec b flavour if that suits your brakes.

AlexSimon

I’ve just calculated Sram NX at £139.15

XT bought separately with a SRAM chain is £152.10

Neither include chainring.
    All from UK shops (CRC/Merlin/Tredz I think)

AlexSimon

You’ve also got a gripshift option with Sram (same price) should that float your boat (I haven’t tried it since the early nineties)

Andy_K

Cheers guys, NX is interesting, but I’ll have to check the respective weights if there’s only a few quid in it with XT and GX.

thorpedo

Make sure that your rear hub is compatible with 11 speed casette…

steve_b77
    Free Member

For NX and XT it all fits on a 9/10 speed compatible hub.

Why use a SRAM chain, the ultegra / XT one is superb

thorpedo

I did’nt think that xt 11 speed cassette would fit on a 9/10 speed hub?

scotroutes

I’m assuming they’re just getting a few in as and when ordered.

It does

gaidong
    Free Member

Beware the NX cassette, the XT one is already heavy (430g) but the NX one is 540g! Also the NX is more likely to cause cassette bite.

I’ve been running XT 11s for six months now and frankly not been that impressed. I was on 1×10 before with a 11-42 range and than seemed fine for me. I’ve got a GX cassette on order so maybe 10-42 is ‘worth’ 11 speeds but were I to do it again I think 1×10 with a dedicated 11-42 10 speed cassette (i.e. Sunrace) would be better. Then you can pick up on Shadow+ kit down to Deore level (got this on my son’s bike and it all works great).

AlexSimon

All the 11sp cassettes that have a 11t smallest cog fit a standard freehub body thorpedo.

SRAM chain is my personal preference, but nothing wrong with XT as long as you use a compatible quick link. Shimano are launching their own soon.

I hadn’t realised the NX cassette was that heavy. Quite off putting. The lighter cassette is about £30 more expensive which pushes me back towards XT for my son’s bike

gaidong
    Free Member

AlexS, in the NX’s favour, it’s all steel, so less wear (except on the freehub), but those is alotta grams… Check out the Sunraces though; their ‘X’ versions have an alu 42T and the ‘S’ in steel. The 10 speed 11-42, all in steel, is 450g and about £35… *edit* the Sunrace spiders are alu, even on the S model, so kinder on the freehub. Sunrace X model 11 speed 11-42, 401g.

gaidong
    Free Member

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/cassettes-freewheels-c68/sunrace-ms3-10-speed-cassette-p14798, bargain, same range, weight and smoother (IMO) and cheaper than 11 speed.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sunrace making a come back, hoodathunkit?

shermer75
    Free Member

Microshift also do an 11-speed package for a very reasonable price but they don’t seem to be on sale in the UK

TPE15: Microshift gears up w/ Mega 40 wide range mountain bike cassette, derailleur system

dudeofdoom

I’ve just got an xt chain,derailleur,11-42 cassette an shifter from Taiwan for £140… So 150 in uk prices seem pretty good…

The sunrace stuff looks well interesting seems a cheap way to get an expanded casette…

DoD

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m still on ten speed XT with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette and I can’t fault it.

The only reason I have to upgrade is cog-snobbery of a Spinal Tap-esque nature. I’m really pleased to see that Sunrace produce an eleven speed alternative cassette to XT.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Using SRAM 11×1 Rival and don’t miss the front mech at all.

Just might need to think your chainring (using a 44T here combined with a large range cassette).

Sone riders love it and some hate it.

Marmite.

honourablegeorge

steve_b77 – Member

Why use a SRAM chain, the ultegra / XT one is superb

Because Sram chains come with a quick link, while shimano persist with an annoying pin. Reason enough for me.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Value 1×11 upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.