Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Valid photo ID
  • aracer
    Free Member

Who else here doesn’t have any valid official photo ID?

I had been wondering when it was going to bite me – have just been asked for a copy of my new passport by my solicitor (he’s switched on enough to have noticed that the one I gave him last time has expired). I don’t have a photo driving licence either.

So has it caused problems for anybody else, and how do you get around it without having to pay to renew your passport (yes I’ve already asked my solicitor what to do, but interested in experiences from others)?

scotroutes

There is an ID card you can get which should also be recognised. My brother in law uses one.

scotroutes

somouk
    Free Member

You don’t get around it, that’s the point. You have to have some form of valid photo ID. Some places would accept a work ID card or similar but if it’s anything legal then it probably has to be passport or driving license.

allthegear
    Free Member

Birth certificate?

It’s not like your picture should matter – your appearance can change over time!

Rachel

bencooper
    Free Member

The few times it’s cropped up, I’ve just looked witheringly at the person concerned until they backed down.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I had the same problem prior to having a driving licence. I ended up having to renew my passport or turn down a job offer.
    Birth certificates stopped being a valid form of ID a long time ago i believe as they are so easy to fake

Drac

Birth certificate?

It’s not like your picture should matter – your appearance can change over time!

Where as birth certificate you’ve had no change at all and no proof it’s you.

My delivers licence need renewed the photo is from my passport from about 15 years ago. I have hair on the photo but that’s the only real difference in 15 years.

kcal

Hm. I’m not sure to be honest, I’m sure I had to provide some official ID on behalf of my mum recently. Passport – nope. Driving licence – definitely not. She might have some ScotGov benefit card, but in the end I think I sent a tax return or pension statement (not photo ID obviously) and said that was all she had..

So it’s a problem for the folk requiring it as joe public can’t be expected to have these items.

Drac

If you have no photo ID they often ask for 3 or 4 other forms of ID.

kcal

aye, I think you end up list A and list B ringmarole.
    Even bank statements being online can be a problem.

the-muffin-man

I keep thinking I should get a photo driving licence (I still have old paper one) as I don’t like taking my passport for ID, and a driving licence can stay in my wallet.

Drac

Not really you just print one off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Many insist on photo ID and the only way round it – for DBS or some such is loads and loads of other ID Birth cert + numerous bills. + bank statements etc

I just got a photo driving licence as its not exactly hard to do – dont you have to renew the paper ones every 10 years or is that just the photo ones?

Drac

Just the photo ones.

whitestone
    Free Member

How come you don’t have a photocard driving licence? The paper counterpart hasn’t had legal status since June 2015.

scotroutes

But the olde original driving licence is still valid as long as you’re not 70 and haven’t changed any of your details.

the-muffin-man

How come you don’t have a photocard driving licence? The paper counterpart hasn’t had legal status since June 2015.

I haven’t moved home in 17 years so all the details are still the same – and I rather like unfolding the rather tattered one I have! It feels proper. 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

But the olde original driving licence is still valid as long as you’re not 70 and haven’t changed any of your details.

or earned any ‘making progress’ points

bencooper
    Free Member

I haven’t moved home in 17 years so all the details are still the same – and I rather like unfolding the rather tattered one I have! It feels proper.

Same, plus I like being ornery 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

I was going to say it’s unusual not to have moved in that time but then neither have we!

My old licence was so tattered, the hire company in the States just threw up his hands and handed me the keys. I think it was in three bits, not all of which matched ❓

the-muffin-man

My last ‘making progress’ points were 14 years ago.

kcal

Mm, I thought they had to be authenticated. Maybe not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Not really you just print one off.[/quote]
    Given how easy it is to manipulate something like that it’s becoming less common where I am to accept home printed bills etc. So expect that to change

Drac

They look exactly the same as the delivered ones. My wife still gets paper copies for her account, when I printed mine off for our mortgage they looked no different in style.

kcal

I imagine that the home printed ones *could* be doctored.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I printed mine off for our mortgage they looked no different in style.

But different in other ways? Just saying here in Oz printed bills are not being accepted, it’s something that has changed, given nothing happens in isolation I’d expect others to change in the future.

IHN

Of course, if we had ID cards, this wouldn’t be a problem.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s what I’m being asked for (to do an electronic ID check) – I do still get paper bank statements for one of my accounts as I haven’t got around to changing it, so I guess I might not bother for a bit more.

Might be interesting for situations where more instant ID is needed, though I guess they’re rarer – I guess I’ve also needed photo ID for sorting out anything to do with bank accounts though. So I’m curious about the ID card Colin mentions.

Have been at the same address for 20 years, and had a driving licence for 30 years, so still on a paper one – though that is likely to change in the relatively near future which I suppose would solve the problem. I have got some making progress points, but not bothered about them still being marked on there, can’t see what difference it makes when they’ve officially expired.

DrJ

Often not acceptable. Including at the bank where I applied for a mortgage. Even though it was the same bank as the one where I have my current account.

poly
    Free Member

aracer,

Am I right in saying that you engaged this solicitor when your original passport was valid? In that case he probably doesn’t really need any update, because your address remains the same anyway. Of course, he won’t actually have read the law society guidance and will be doing what his compliance person says, but there is no automatic requirement to go through the ID process repeatedly, just to show that you did it properly in the first place and keep it updated (which means to reflect any changes not to insisting on reproducing documents for no good reason).

Your expired making progress points have no official purpose now, but some people feel it is best to have them wiped clean as if you find yourself at the roadside (or a station within 7 days) hoping that an officer will use his discretion then he might feel slightly more lenient towards a completely clean license than one with a load of old historic matters. Likewise if you have to produce your license for company vehicle usage etc – people feel more comfortable suggesting they are squeeky clean.

If you are moving house its free to get your driving license updated.

aracer
    Free Member

I did last year. But the matter I employed him for was completed, I’d paid his bill etc., he was no longer engaged by me.

I’ve now re-engaged him – it’s on a matter related to the original reason I engaged him (a deed of variation on the original deed he drew up for me), so he’s pulled the original file, but there is no continuity of engagement (I could have just got somebody else to do the deed of variation).

Drac

But different in other ways?

No differnt alt all apart from the same and account details of course.

Often not acceptable. Including at the bank where I applied for a mortgage. Even though it was the same bank as the one where I have my current account.

I’ve not had an issue.

I imagine that the home printed ones *could* be doctored.

Well if you’re going to do that you can fake posted ones too.

GrahamS

Last time I had to provide bank statements and pay slips for a mortgage I didn’t even print them I just sent them PDFs.

Photo driving license is kinda useful if you have to fly internally in the UK. Or hire a car at the other end!

bearnecessities

Photo driving license

As CFH would say, delete your account 🙂

GrahamS

Sorry.

Foto drivin’ license.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Valid photo ID’ is closed to new replies.