Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Vague legal advice (consumer rights)
  • composite
    Free Member

OK so believe me when I say this is the cut down version of this very long a tedious story. I had a cracked screen on my HTC One X. Operationally it all worked but I decided to get the screen replaced. I sent it off to a company in Manchester to repair it.

The first time they sent it back part of the touch screen was now not working. It went back to them and they agreed there was a problem. They tried to replace the screen again but after trying several more new screens apparently there was still this same problem. They asked for more time.

About a week later I had a call saying they had fixed it but had used a second hand screen. I said fine as I just wanted the matter over. They sent it back to me and within about 10 seconds of opening the package you could see that the screen was very dim and flickered every time you touched the screen. It’s basically useless in day light. It’s a very obvious problem as well, I really can’t see how they thought it would be acceptable and as such I’m sure they were trying to fob me off. About a week later the 3 buttons across the bottom of the screen stopped working as well.

At this stage we are looking at 4 weeks since it was sent to them the first time. They promised it would be fixed and returned in 48hours…

On the same day as getting it back for the second time I made another complaint to them and when they said they wanted the handset again I said that I wasn’t happy with that and that I wanted a refund. I put in writing why and I have jumped through all the hoops they have asked me to jump through.
    Add in couple of weeks of continually being ignored by them and then talking to them on the phone where they keep giving me the run around regarding who I should be emailing etc. etc.

Clearly they have not provided the service in a timely manner and in fact haven’t provided the service at all. I have been more than patient with them but today I wrote to them again after being advised to by their staff but this time I have threatened to go to Trading Standards if I don’t get someone getting back to me to discuss where we can go from here. I don’t want to conclude it this way, I can’t be doing with the stress but as far as I’m concerned they owe me £142 which is no small amount. I have a detailed record of dates and times of when everything has happened, plus all written communications they have sent and I feel I have strong case. I don’t really know anything about it though.

What does the collective wisdom think?

andyl
    Free Member

did you pay via credit card?

if not then I would say you should be fine via the small claims court.

composite
    Free Member

That has gone through my head many times that if I had paid on credit card then getting the money back would be far easier.

It’s so stupid because to them surely that amount is bugger all yet it could end up costing them loads in dicking around if this goes to court. It’s just so ridiculous. 🙄

totalshell

you bought something expensive and broke it.. you didnt have insurance..so you popped it in a bag to god knows where and gave them 142 quid.. and your surprised its still broken.. and to cap it all you didnt use a credit card to pay..

chances of getting one penny back? .. not a cat in hells chance.

geoffj

How did you pay? Visa debit offers similar protection to credit cards iirc.

Edit: Here you go http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

composite
    Free Member

totalshell – Member

you bought something expensive and broke it.. you didnt have insurance..so you popped it in a bag to god knows where and gave them 142 quid.. and your surprised its still broken.. and to cap it all you didnt use a credit card to pay..

Expecting a company to provide a service I have paid for, clearly I’m a fool. 🙄

geoffj – Member

How did you pay? Visa debit offers similar protection to credit cards iirc.

Edit: Here you go http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Thanks geoffj, I did indeed pay on Visa Debit and I didn’t know this existed so I’ll look into it further, thanks for the info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Vague legal advice (consumer rights)’ is closed to new replies.